5 Steps To Baking With Your Kids (Without Losing Your Mind!)

Reaction score
Have you ever tried baking with your kids? Kids are great, fun, and a joy to be around, but sometimes...sometimes it's just hard to appreciate their need to be so hyper and...curious, to say the least.

Well, if you've been "on the edge" of say, "losing it"! when you've done your best to help your kids learn the basics of baking, and really feel like they're helping you around the kitchen, then here are five helpful steps that'll set you on the right path toward showing your kids the right things to do, while both of you have fun!

Step 1: Both of you should Read The Recipe Together
Now, this step might often be overlooked, as you may find it much easier to just read the contents of the recipe to your kid(s), and just...tell them what they're to do, and what they're not to do. But, especially if your kid is just learning to read, reading the recipe with them can really help them find an exciting way to learn, and also pick up handy baking strategies all at the same time! Let them read the instructions/steps for you, one at a time, while you do the bulk of the preparations.

Step 2: Make It Exciting!
That's right! It's time for you to get your creative juices flowing and active! It's at this point in time that you'll need to reach for every ounce of "stage performer" that you can find within your bones, all to keep your kid(s) engaged in the baking process, and having fun! You can achieve this by playing some cool, "kid-themed" music in the background, making up fun songs that have to do with baking, and maybe even letting 'em lick the spoon when you're done pouring the batter in!

Step 3: Remain Calm

I know that this particular step can be quite difficult, and understandably so: kids tend to make messes more easily, so it can become a bit frustrating...but I'm urging you to keep your calm hat on, and never let it show to your kid(s) that you're annoyed. Remember, they're learning, and you can easily discourage them if they feel that their actions are just..."messing things up". Say things like, "That's okay, I know you meant to do it this way, but we can fix it! This is how you're supposed to do it! Now you try!" This could turn their frown into a big ole, warm smile!

Step 4: Use Their Favorite Ingredient

This is an awesome way for your kids to know that they literally had a hand in baking that special dish that you're making! Whether it's their favorite kiss chocolate, oreos, or even M&Ms, allow your kid(s) to pick whichever special ingredient that they'd like to include in the dish that you're baking together, and then, after it's made, you can say, "The kids picked out the special ingredient!" You'll absolutely melt when you see the smiles, from ear to ear, that light up their faces!
BakingWithKids.jpg

I hope that these steps will help you next time you choose to bake with your kids, and remember to do so as often as you can, because it's now that the precious childhood memories will be created!

Tell me also, do you have any other steps that you use in baking with your kids?

Reaction score
I loved all your ideas :) Reading the recipe together should always be a must :) Also the idea of using their favorite ingredient in the recipe is a great idea! I'll definitely try this out with my own kid. My grandma never liked us to help her cook :(

Reaction score
Aww what a fun little list! I love baking with kids- they are so much more excited and genuine about it than most adults...as long as you keep it something lighthearted and fun it's almost guaranteed to be a good time. And most of the time the food even ends up pretty good ;).

Reaction score
These suggestions seem really great. I am going to ask my son to join me. I hope he is as excited as I am. He loves chocolate cake so I imagine he will probably want to try that first.

I hope he doesn't make too much of a mess. He shouldn't since he's 23.:)

Reaction score
I think baking with kids should always be a fun experience and children are prone to make mistakes so just go easy on them...laugh over the matter and hope they'll learn from the mistakes they make...it's a journey that only time can perfect.

Ask a Question