All About The Mincemeat

Reaction score
I used to hear about mincemeat, especially during the Fall and Winter, since it was often used in holiday recipes. Unlike my siblings, I enjoyed mincemeat pie when I was growing up. These days, I don't hear much about it, and so I got curious about what other dishes mincemeat is used in besides pie. I created this thread about mincemeat so members can post their mincemeat recipes, and people (including myself) can come to learn about what it is exactly, and what to do with it.

mince·meat
ˈminsˌmēt/
noun
  1. 1.
    a mixture of currants, raisins, sugar, apples, candied citrus peel, spices, and suet, typically baked in a pie.
  2. 2.
    minced meat.
The only mincemeat I've seen and had here in the U.S. is from a brand called None Such, and so I'm going to link to their page for recipes.

Available in Condensed or Ready-to-Use, these fillings were traditionally used in pies and desserts, but are delicious any time of the year.

Excerpt from the None Such site: The recorded history of mincemeat can be traced to the year 1413, when it was served at the coronation of Henry V of England. In the late 1600’s, mincemeat was served as a meat pie flavored with fruit and spices. These pies, with more fruits and spices and less meat, were served as desserts when mincemeat was brought to Colonial America.

This is probably why people back home in New England eat it. I don't know of anyone here in Texas that eats or cooks with mincemeat.

There are currently 6 pages of recipes on the site, and here is the link: None Such Mincemeat Recipes

Attachments

• mincemeat pie.jpg
    mincemeat pie.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 557
Reaction score
Well isn't this something. Where I come from Mincemeat is ground beef plain and simple that we used for shepherd's pie. burgers etc. I think I need to so some further research on this. A mixture of raisins, sugar, apple, candied citrus peel etc has me confused.

Reaction score
Oh, we call those fruit mince pies here - well, when I grew up in Australia, anyway!

It's been YEARS since I've had them but the mere thought of them is reminding me of Christmas. I miss them! I never even thought about making my own - we used to just get store bought ones from the local bakery.

Reaction score
Delicious! I've always wanted to learn to bake mincemeat pie =D I think it would make a great dinner, much better than the awful meat pie my future mother in law prepares... with leek, ugh. The only good thing about it was the crust, and the dough it was made with was bought from the store. I definitely don't want to make the same mistake she made.

Reaction score
Well isn't this something. Where I come from Mincemeat is ground beef plain and simple that we used for shepherd's pie. burgers etc. I think I need to so some further research on this. A mixture of raisins, sugar, apple, candied citrus peel etc has me confused.

Apparently they started out as being made with venison scraps and suet, with the fruits mixed in. I'm wondering, since there wasn't any refrigeration back then, if the fruits and spices were used to disguise the smell/taste of meat that was going rancid ;).

I want to make these if I can ever get to the store to get some oranges. I'll have to look for my star shaped cookie cutter, as well. I'm sure it's in my big tub of Christmas cookie cutters.

Reaction score
Apparently they started out as being made with venison scraps and suet, with the fruits mixed in. I'm wondering, since there wasn't any refrigeration back then, if the fruits and spices were used to disguise the smell/taste of meat that was going rancid ;).

I want to make these if I can ever get to the store to get some oranges. I'll have to look for my star shaped cookie cutter, as well. I'm sure it's in my big tub of Christmas cookie cutters.

Well at least you have cutters. I never thought I was going to be a baker so I never bought any. I think I will get some soon if I see them at the right price here or wait until I travel. This mince meat subject is all very interesting.

Reaction score
Well at least you have cutters. I never thought I was going to be a baker so I never bought any. I think I will get some soon if I see them at the right price here or wait until I travel. This mince meat subject is all very interesting.

Haha, I have a bucket of cookie cutters, and recently purchased a few small biscuit cutters at a garage sale. I saw some really fabulous looking biscuit cutters the other day on the King Arthur site that I'd like to have, but those are on the back burner, since they're not essential. My family and I tend to collect kitchen gadgets, so we all have an abundance of cookie cutters and other small goodies :). The produce at the market didn't look all that appetizing yesterday so I skipped it, and will put off making these, but they'll be great all throughout the Fall and Winter, so that's not a problem.

Reaction score
It's my thought that back in the day; before pressure cooking; they did have salt & alcohol, to preserve, and the root cellar was probably a cooler storage. But, truth be known, probably didn't last long enough to worry much, they may have just made it for the holiday table.

Reaction score
I never even knew what mincemeat was until recently. I thought it would be a mixture of animal leftover parts, but I guess it is just ground beef. Sounds interesting, but I do not think I will make a sweet mincemeat pie, perhaps a savory one would be good.

Reaction score
I never even knew what mincemeat was until recently. I thought it would be a mixture of animal leftover parts, but I guess it is just ground beef. Sounds interesting, but I do not think I will make a sweet mincemeat pie, perhaps a savory one would be good.
Some recipes use Ground Beef & suet or butter ... traditional, I think, is with the rump roast & suet or butter. Alot of people shy away from the meat processing recipe. . Because I think they get grossed out over canning meat. I wanted to can it, so I didn't have to worry about the shelf life, or refrigeration. And, I really wanted to try the British classic mince pies. I made one with a tender cut of steak, alot of Christmas fruit & Apple Cider syrup ( syrup is a recipe with all the spices & apple cider. ) It smelled wonderful as I put it in the jars, to be processed in the Pressure canner. All went well with that process. Can't wait for it to age, so I can make a Mince pie to try. 2 wks. & counting. Of course they say it's better if you wait a year. That's probably not going to happen. Going to make the traditional muffin size mince pies, for the holiday table. Everyone will have their own lil' Mince pie :) I may not ever do this recipe again, but at least I'll be able to say, I tried it.

Reaction score
I think people are getting their "minced meat" and "mincemeat" mixed up. The mincemeat (note all one word and no "d") that Diane Lane refers to is a sweet dessert filling, generally used in tarts and associated with Christmas. This has nothing to do with MINCED meat which we also call hamburg or hamburger. Definitely not interchangeable!

If anyone is in Canada, Loblaws supermarket has jars of mincemeat just now under the "President's Choice" label. I bought some myself yesterday and am looking forward to tarts with nice flaky pastry.

Reaction score
I think people are getting their "minced meat" and "mincemeat" mixed up. The mincemeat (note all one word and no "d") that Diane Lane refers to is a sweet dessert filling, generally used in tarts and associated with Christmas. This has nothing to do with MINCED meat which we also call hamburg or hamburger. Definitely not interchangeable!

If anyone is in Canada, Loblaws supermarket has jars of mincemeat just now under the "President's Choice" label. I bought some myself yesterday and am looking forward to tarts with nice flaky pastry.
I know that you can make Mincemeat filling without meat ... but originally, Mincemeat "always did" contain suet and/or beef. More of a savory flavor.
Read ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincemeat ...
The "Fruit only" variation came later in history. The additions of more sweetness from sugars, made for more of a dessert treat. Due to the spices, some don't miss the meat at all, and of course, it is a dessert, without the meat, and there is no need to worry about rancidity, from the suet, and beef.
I only know what I have researched. Looking through the different recipes that I found, some referred to their Mincemeat, as Mince pies, and some, as Mincemeat tarts.
Whether it is referred to as a Mince Pie, or a Mincemeat Tart, refers only to it's shape, and not it's contents.
And, I think when they refer to "Minced meat;" where Mincemeat is concerned; they mean a ground meat, made of beef. Ground Beef. And yes, some Mincemeat recipes do use Ground Beef. This is what I uncovered with research.

Reaction score
Yes, I LOVE mincemeat pies (the all fruit ones that is). I haven't had one since I was little though. None of the grocery stores I've ever seen sell them....or haven't sold them in over 40 years.

I've been craving one the past few years, but since I don't really bake that kind of stuff anymore, I tend to buy it from the stores, but I haven't found anyone who carries them.

From what I found out when I was younger about mincemeat, is that is was created from leftovers.
Apparently no one wasted food "way back then", as they considered it a sin to waste even the tiniest scrap of food apparently.

Somehow, the left over pieces of fruits and berries were flavored with bits of left over pieces of meats, with some spices thrown in.

As I have stated in another thread, "pies" in Europe are not what "pies" are in the USA. Regardless,. I love mincemeat pie. Wish I could find a place that makes them. I'm still dyin for one!!!

iu

Heck, I've not even seen jars of None Such on the shelves since the 1980's around here!!!

Reaction score
Yes, I LOVE mincemeat pies (the all fruit ones that is). I haven't had one since I was little though. None of the grocery stores I've ever seen sell them....or haven't sold them in over 40 years.

I've been craving one the past few years, but since I don't really bake that kind of stuff anymore, I tend to buy it from the stores, but I haven't found anyone who carries them.

From what I found out when I was younger about mincemeat, is that is was created from leftovers.
Apparently no one wasted food "way back then", as they considered it a sin to waste even the tiniest scrap of food apparently.

Somehow, the left over pieces of fruits and berries were flavored with bits of left over pieces of meats, with some spices thrown in.

As I have stated in another thread, "pies" in Europe are not what "pies" are in the USA. Regardless,. I love mincemeat pie. Wish I could find a place that makes them. I'm still dyin for one!!!

iu

Heck, I've not even seen jars of None Such on the shelves since the 1980's around here!!!
I can & sell my "fruit mince" at my favorite "farmer's market."

Reaction score
I can & sell my "fruit mince" at my favorite "farmer's market."

OOOOOOOO!!!!
I never thought of the farmers' markets!

We have tons of those around here during the spring and summer. I will have to try and remember to go and look there.

Reaction score
I simply love pies with this kind of filling. Mincemeat was originally containing beer or any meat I believe. It was not obligatory. I didn't know this name stood for this kind of mix. I read somewhere that it was a normal thing to have that mix of meat and fruit in England few centuries ago. I don't know how people use this now.

A lot of wonderful recipes are made of this types of pastry and filling. In Serbia, my favourite is A lazy pie. Basically two crusts with filling in between. The beauty of this pie is that as I like to say, it is eating itself. You don't need to use any effort whatsoever. It just crumbles in your mouth. Like apple crumble does.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/St-lSrKuTXs/maxresdefault.jpg

Ask a Question