All time favorite cake?

Reaction score
What is your all time favorite cake that you have made?

I have say that the birthday cake I made for my ex one year, a mint chocolate cake, was the best. It was dark chocolate, moist and rich, with thick peppermint frosting in between the layers and on the outside. It was then drizzled with a dark chocolate ganache. It was also as addictive as it was tasty.

I don't have the recipe anymore, sadly. All of my cookbooks got left behind by accident when we separated. :( I'd love to know if anyone has a similar sounding recipe.

Reaction score
Probably one of my own concoctions.......

Fudge brownie cake with chocolate/raspberry whipped frosting.

Reaction score
My favorite cake is actually my mother in laws Italian Wedding Cake. It's so good...I replicate it but for some reason hers is always yummier! I think it's just one of those things that tastes better when someone else makes it for you...completely psychological! ;)

Reaction score
It would have to be pistachio almond cake with butter cream frosting. It was so delicious, but it took forever (shelling pistachios, etc.). I did better the next time I made it, but the first time was quite the chore.

One layer was pistachio, the other was almond. There was also a version that adds orange zest, so I tried that as well. It was good too, but the original was better.

Reaction score
These all sound delicious, especially the pistachio almond cake with butter cream frosting. Those are some of my favorite ingredients, and I can't imagine that not tasting wonderful. I would probably buy pre-shelled pistachios, though, or shell them the day before. I sometimes have to do things in steps, especially if it's an involved recipe. I tend to stick to easy to cook or bake recipes these days, except for special occasions, such as Christmas.

I love white cake with white frosting and colored butter cream roses the best, and marble cake is also good. My family leans toward chocolate cake with chocolate between the layers, and fudge frosting, which I used to think was too much chocolate, but I now really enjoy that, although I can only eat a little at a time, because it's so rich.

Reaction score
Well I am usually a pretty big fan of cheesecake, so I would usually put one of those in there as my al time favorite, and maybe a strawberry cheesecake at the very top. But, a little while ago I had the pleasure of trying a rhubarb chocolate cake and I have to say that it was absolutely delicious, and so that has now supplanted the cheesecakes as my all time favorite...I wish I had the recipe.

Reaction score
I'm new to baking. So far I tried to make my favorite cake, black forest, but it was such a disaster that I didn't even get to ice it. I'll try again this weekend and this time I know I'll do it right. Got a great new recipe.

Reaction score
My chocolate Betty Crocker cakes but I have not made any in a while simply because I have graduated for the boz cakes or have I? Well I have not made any in a while. One day I want to make the perfect pound cake like the ones my mom made when I was a child.

Reaction score
I have tried the Hershey Perfectly Chocolate chocolate cake recipe and it used to be my go to recipe until I discovered One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes (Martha Stewart Baking cookbook). If I don’t have any dutch process cocoa (my preferred cocoa) on hand, I just use regular Hershey’s Cocoa and the cake turns out well. I frost it with the chocolate frosting recipe on the back of the Hershey cocoa can–I’ll use dutch process cocoa for the frosting if I used it in the cake recipe or I fill it the cake with cookies and cream filling (love oreos and whipped cream!) and frost with chocolate ganache. Oh, I also sometimes fill the cake with a whipped peanut butter ganache and top with chocolate ganache, it’s like a big Reese’s cup cake.

Reaction score
These all sound delicious, especially the pistachio almond cake with butter cream frosting. Those are some of my favorite ingredients, and I can't imagine that not tasting wonderful. I would probably buy pre-shelled pistachios, though, or shell them the day before. I sometimes have to do things in steps, especially if it's an involved recipe. I tend to stick to easy to cook or bake recipes these days, except for special occasions, such as Christmas.

I love white cake with white frosting and colored butter cream roses the best, and marble cake is also good. My family leans toward chocolate cake with chocolate between the layers, and fudge frosting, which I used to think was too much chocolate, but I now really enjoy that, although I can only eat a little at a time, because it's so rich.

It really is delicious. It was cheaper to buy the pistachios in shells and do them myself, but yeah, next time, I'll do it in advance. Good idea. It was a special birthday, which is why I went all out (I don't do that all the time either).

White cake is really good. I quite like it as well, even though I am a chocolate lover, and your description of all that chocolate sounds really good.

Reaction score
I have tried the Hershey Perfectly Chocolate chocolate cake recipe and it used to be my go to recipe until I discovered One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes (Martha Stewart Baking cookbook). If I don’t have any dutch process cocoa (my preferred cocoa) on hand, I just use regular Hershey’s Cocoa and the cake turns out well. I frost it with the chocolate frosting recipe on the back of the Hershey cocoa can–I’ll use dutch process cocoa for the frosting if I used it in the cake recipe or I fill it the cake with cookies and cream filling (love oreos and whipped cream!) and frost with chocolate ganache. Oh, I also sometimes fill the cake with a whipped peanut butter ganache and top with chocolate ganache, it’s like a big Reese’s cup cake.

That sounds delicious! Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Have you heard of sans rival cake? That's my all time favorite. But forgive me because I cannot bake that cake. It is quite complicated to bake it. The main ingredient is egg whites that is battered to a foam and will be mixed with flour to serve as the layer's base (there are about 4 layers. Each layer has a sweetener and nuts. The topping is like an icing that is also sweet. Slicing the sans rival cake is like cutting a refrigerator cake.

Reaction score
Have you heard of sans rival cake? That's my all time favorite. But forgive me because I cannot bake that cake. It is quite complicated to bake it. The main ingredient is egg whites that is battered to a foam and will be mixed with flour to serve as the layer's base (there are about 4 layers. Each layer has a sweetener and nuts. The topping is like an icing that is also sweet. Slicing the sans rival cake is like cutting a refrigerator cake.

I hadn't heard of that cake before but just looked it up online - it looks amazing and very pretty with all the layers. It looks like it's a special cake unique to the Philippines so that might be why I hadn't heard of it before!

Ask a Question