Amish Friendship Bread?

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone here has made Amish Friendship bread before? My grandma would make it for us when I was little and it was always very good, but I never knew much about how she made it. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
My mother was given a starter for this, it's kind of like a chain letter for bread. We tried it, but never passed it on to 5 more people like the instructions said. The funny thing about it is that you use a plastic bag to feed the starter. I'm sure there is a way to do it in something else, but it always struck me as odd because I can't imagine the Amish use plastic bags, they do things the old fashioned way.

Reaction score
Ah yes, I've heard of that as well...and that it is a bit of a funny choice considering the name sake. I guess it's just the assumption that the average person wouldn't care? Hmm..

Reaction score
Ah yes, I've heard of that as well...and that it is a bit of a funny choice considering the name sake. I guess it's just the assumption that the average person wouldn't care? Hmm..

Well I don't have to tell you I have never even heard of this before. Amish Friendship bread and I am thinking only the Amish will have this recipe but you know how I like to google everything so here goes. I saw loads of them but I opted for this recipe found in the link below.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lemon-...=24573&position=-6&prop24=RD_RecipeArrow_Left

Reaction score
Well I think you're at least partly right...I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a lot of versions of truly traditional Amish ways of doing it online, but Google has an answer for everything ;). Thanks!

Reaction score
I have had this bread and love it! I was given multiple starters and done just as it said and shared with 5 friends each time. I put the starters into plastic bowls with lids that I bought specifically for the bread starters. This bread has been a hit each and every time.

Reaction score
Thanks again Wintery! You're such a big help :)

Sweetkymom, it's good to know that you've had positive experiences with the starters, I'm thinking that I will give one a try and hope I get similar results.

Reaction score
Thanks again Wintery! You're such a big help :)

Sweetkymom, it's good to know that you've had positive experiences with the starters, I'm thinking that I will give one a try and hope I get similar results.[/QUOTE

JessiFox, with all the research I am doing you're are going to have to post me a cake here in Barbados.

When I get as good at baking as I am at researching cakes it's going to be a great day in history:). I see it coming.

Reaction score
Hmmm I have never heard of friendship bread but I am going to give it a whirl. I love old fashioned foods so this would probably be a hit in my family. I am so used to rapid rise yeast though that this starter would take some getting used to. I am trying to be more self sustaining so this bread would fit into that goal quite nicely.

Reaction score
Hmmm I have never heard of friendship bread but I am going to give it a whirl. I love old fashioned foods so this would probably be a hit in my family. I am so used to rapid rise yeast though that this starter would take some getting used to. I am trying to be more self sustaining so this bread would fit into that goal quite nicely.

Oh definitely give it a try- it is delicious, it does require a bit more patience than some other breads but it is well worth it! Awesome for your goal of sustainability too :)

Reaction score
I have! My old coworker gave me a starter. It's actually very good! It's just a simple sweet bread and the process is neat.

Ask a Question