Anyone tried subsituting sugar for stevia in cakes/cookies?

Reaction score
I'm curious about this product. It seems like a good alternative to sugar, and it's natural unlike sweeteners.

I've already tried it on porridge and in coffee, and it's fine. However, I'm a bit nervous about taking the plunge and using it in my baking. Has anyone ever tried it? I'd be very interested to know how it turned out, and whether or not it altered the taste or texture of your bake.

Reaction score
Hi,
I use Stevia In the Raw (cup for cup measure) often. There are adjustments to be made (for example, it won't add chewiness like brown sugar or the moisture that sugar brings to a recipe) but it's easy to figure out if you have some baking experience. Maybe start with subbing half of the sugar and see how it goes.
Here are some tips: http://www.intheraw.com/using-itr/cooking-tips/?page=1&product=stevia-in-the-raw

Reaction score
Thanks monkeyboots! Your link was really helpful. I did wonder how it would measure up, but I think your suggestion of substituting half for half is a good place to start.

I'm eager to substitute or decrease the sugar content of my bakes where possible, but it's not easy to without upsetting the balance of ingredients, as you'll no doubt already know. A bit of experimenting is needed, so I'll start with your suggestion and let you know it goes.

Thanks again. :)

Reaction score
I've found that the satisfaction with 'alternative' (sugar-free, vegan, gluten-free, etc) baked goods depends on whom you are baking for. Some people accept the differences in taste and/or texture and others can't get past it. Of course, I love the open-minded recipients!

Reaction score
I'm with you on that, monkeyboots! My husband is a great recipient of my bakes - even the not so good ones get eaten up with relish. But there are some people I wouldn't dare serve anything to unless it was 100% perfect - my mother in law! She can be a bit critical at times, so I usually try and perfect something new before serving it to her.

The thing with baking is that you have to experiment, but then I worry about the waste (as well as the 'waist' factor!) so I don't like to have too many mishaps if I can help it.

Thanks for your help :)

Reaction score
When I am experimenting I make a very small batch. I hate wasting ingredients!
It's great that your husband eats your creations with great joy. I guess he didn't learn that from his mother;)

Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of stevia ,I think it tate kind of bitter.
I have heard good things about mung bean sweetners.
Agave necture is also great sugar substitute but I have yet to bake with it.

Reaction score
monkeyboots--no, indeed he didn't! :D

NThomas--I've never heard of mung bean sweeteners - is this something new? I'm guessing they're probably only available in health food shops.

Agave nectar is very good substitute, but it won't work in every case. It's great in flapjacks, as is maple syrup or honey, but it would make some cakes too moist I think. I will have to look into it a bit further as I'd quite forgotten about it!

Thanks to both of you :)

Ask a Question