Aquafaba: The Egg Substitute You Never Knew You Needed

Reaction score
I only learned about this recently but it sounds intriguing! Aquafaba is the liquid you get from a tin of chickpeas - the thick gloopy stuff. Apparently it is an excellent egg substitute! Has anyone here tried using it before? I've seen photos of all sorts of things which have been made with it - amazingly, you can even make meringues!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquafaba

https://www.vegansociety.com/whats-new/blog/13-amazing-things-you-can-do-aquafaba

I'm so tempted to give this a try. I have a friend who is allergic to eggs and another friend who is vegan, so if it works well I'll use it a lot!

I suppose it's another excuse to make these gorgeous chickpea cookies too :D

Reaction score
I have a friend coming over for dinner who is allergic to eggs, so I'm thinking of making a dessert with aquafaba. Has anyone here tried baking with it?

Reaction score
I have not, but I was just reading about this recently. You might like this article about it, which contains recipes too. There is also a recipe for egg free mayo on the site that also uses this.

I found it intriguing. I have trouble eating eggs, so it's something I'm interested in trying as well.

Reaction score
I've never tried that, but I have made recipes that called for a flax egg! I think you can also do the same with chia seeds, when you mix them in water they give that gloopy consistency. But I'd never heard of aquafaba - it's possible I just haven't seen it sold here before!

Reaction score
I've never tried that, but I have made recipes that called for a flax egg! I think you can also do the same with chia seeds, when you mix them in water they give that gloopy consistency. But I'd never heard of aquafaba - it's possible I just haven't seen it sold here before!

I think the difference here is that aquafaba can be whisked and hold shape, whereas chia seeds / flax seeds just go gloopy. It definitely has me intrigued!

Reaction score
Yep, I find it intriguing as well. I had no idea that something like this was possible. Another great thing is that aquafaba helps use up stuff you wouldn't normally use. As they say, waste not, want not.

Reaction score
Supposedly, you can also make a vegan whipped cream with aquafaba.

Never tried it. But I use aquafaba as an egg substitute in baking all the time. Seems to work okay.

It does not keep well in the refrigerator. But you can freeze it in ice cube trays. One cube substitutes for one egg.

Ask a Question