Are you a good "writer"?

Reaction score
I am confessing AGAIN I am no veteran baker so I am happy just to make a good cake. I have developed the motto " don't decorate until you can perfect the cake". Yet I can't ignore how beautiful a decorated cake looks.

I stumbled on a post earlier that spoke to cake writing and other decorations and wondered if many of you write on your cakes. I went online and found a video that left me interested in one day writing on a cake. Here it is and see how easy the person makes it look.

Reaction score
The answer to that question would (unfortunately) be a resounding "no" for me. I remember the very last time I wrote on a cake; I was 18 and in my school's Food Service program. I'm 48 now. It's not something I've really given much thought to, in years, in fact, I haven't truly decorated a cake since then either. I' don't know if I could make one look presentable now. When I was young I had a great eye for colors, textures, layout, but I lost it somewhere along the way. I can't even decorate my living room. Lol. My daughter and I have a running joke that when I build my house, to make sure I hire PROFESSIONAL decorators.

Reaction score
The answer to that question would (unfortunately) be a resounding "no" for me. I remember the very last time I wrote on a cake; I was 18 and in my school's Food Service program. I'm 48 now. It's not something I've really given much thought to, in years, in fact, I haven't truly decorated a cake since then either. I' don't know if I could make one look presentable now. When I was young I had a great eye for colors, textures, layout, but I lost it somewhere along the way. I can't even decorate my living room. Lol. My daughter and I have a running joke that when I build my house, to make sure I hire PROFESSIONAL decorators.

:)You have me laughing. We are the same age and almost in the same boat re decorating. In my case I might not do a good job putting it together but I know how to constructively critic it be it the house or the cake.

I run into these fanciful things and get all excited and actually want to try them just to say I have. I don't have much patience when it comes to these technical things so I am not sure when and if I will attempt this. I put these out there to see who's willing to take on the challenge if they haven't already.

Reaction score
Oh this has been a big source of grief for me- I can't resist a beautifully decorated cake either, and as an artist and graphic designer, I'm definitely drawn to hand lettering and the like....unfortunately my normally lovely handwriting turns into complete chicken scratch in cake form. I don't know what it is about trying to make lettering edible, but something in the process just doesn't translate well for me.

I'm hopeful that I'll learn to properly one day, though. :)

Reaction score
Oh this has been a big source of grief for me- I can't resist a beautifully decorated cake either, and as an artist and graphic designer, I'm definitely drawn to hand lettering and the like....unfortunately my normally lovely handwriting turns into complete chicken scratch in cake form. I don't know what it is about trying to make lettering edible, but something in the process just doesn't translate well for me.

I'm hopeful that I'll learn to properly one day, though. :)

Oh man!!:( You can't give up on this. You know you have my backing 100% . You are into graphics and art? You MUST pull this off. I found another video actually teaching you how to get it right. I must confess it was not impressive enough for me to share but hearing you now I might see if I find it again. I am neither a artist or graphics person but I sure know when it looks good. Now I know you are in the field I am expecting an "abstract" cake. That's the art I love most.

Reaction score
I do not have a steady hand when it comes to writing on cakes, so I leave it to the professionals or I buy the candy letters. I can draw, paint and everything else, but cake writing is not for me.

Reaction score
The answer would be a resounding no for me as well. I can make them look perfectly presentable, but there will never ever be any mistaking my cakes as being done by a professional!

Reaction score
This is were i fall short in my kitchen and it makes miserable at times...if i could just get it right even one time i'd feel a lot better but i'm just not good at decorating cakes...i just don't know if i'll ever perfect this act.

Reaction score
This is were i fall short in my kitchen and it makes miserable at times...if i could just get it right even one time i'd feel a lot better but i'm just not good at decorating cakes...i just don't know if i'll ever perfect this act.

Well I am an overall new baker when it comes to doing anything from scratch. Not being able to "write" does not throw me off as it is not something I have tried or will likely try anytime soon. I need to get the cake "right" before I start to "write".;)

Reaction score
Well I am an overall new baker when it comes to doing anything from scratch. Not being able to "write" does not throw me off as it is not something I have tried or will likely try anytime soon. I need to get the cake "right" before I start to "write".;)

Well whenever i am trying at a task for quite sometime and not seeing much improvements it just totally frustrates me at times i just feel like throwing in the towels.:(

Reaction score
Well whenever i am trying at a task for quite sometime and not seeing much improvements it just totally frustrates me at times i just feel like throwing in the towels.:(

No. I will be right here rooting for you. I might not be the best baker since I have not been doing enough, but I am not throwing in the towel, nor will I encourage you to do that.

The mere fact that you have a handle on the baking means you have something good going on. I challenge you to take up that figurative pen and "write" me something. I will be looking out for it.

I so want to be able to do something like that just to say I have done it. My schedule does not allow me to do it now, but I will try at some point.

Reaction score
I can do decorative lettering on paper but not on a cake. My hand shakes when I try to write with icing and I end up with a blobby mess. I usually end up using those premade candy letters from the cake mix section at the supermarket.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am123

Latest Threads