Bake on the stove

Reaction score
Hello my fellow bakers!

Few days ago I could not turn on my oven for some reason while doing cookies, and googled how to "bake" on the stove. I found a post in a blogged that said it worked when you melt some butter and flour in a pan and then left the cookies there for 10 minutes "baking". Mine turned out to be a disaster :D. Have any of you tried this?

Reaction score
I have tried it over a thousand times, we call it "Domplinas" in my country, it's a kind of bread you can make without having to use the oven, you just have to mix it whit flour, in this case we mix it with "Harina Pan", take it straight to the stove and just let the magic happen, you could add a little bit of salt to enhance the taste and also some cheese to complete the whole thing, thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
I've tried this on different times, with different results. I had some success with ginger cookies (the dough is quite elastic, and shapes are cut out) - in a dry hot pan, with lid on. I had disasters with cookies that have a lot of sugar or to much butter.

I've done different types of bread though - but that's beside the point if we are talking about sweets!

In a no oven situation I would stick to no-bake stuff like chocolate salami, fried pastry or steamed cakes. Or, alternatively, bake cakes with a waffle pan.

Reaction score
I've seen this done in some countries and while it can work, the taste is never so good. I was in Nepal and the baked a cake on the stove while we were trekking. It looked good, but didn't taste so good compared to other cakes. I don't think it can generate the heat required, but if you have the right equipment and can generate the heat (use a cast iron pan) then it could work, but you do need to keep an eye on it all of the time.

Reaction score
In the olden days when the oven toaster was not yet invented, I remember my mother making grilled cheese with the use of the stove. She uses a pan for that. The sandwich with cheese inside would be placed in the pan and she uses a flat ladle to press on the bread while being heated in the pan. After some minutes, she would turn the bread so the other side would be baked in the pan. You can try this style of making grilled cheese and it's really like the original grilled cheese sandwich.

Reaction score
Hello my fellow bakers!

Few days ago I could not turn on my oven for some reason while doing cookies, and googled how to "bake" on the stove. I found a post in a blogged that said it worked when you melt some butter and flour in a pan and then left the cookies there for 10 minutes "baking". Mine turned out to be a disaster :D. Have any of you tried this?
Oh man. I am sorry to hear about your disaster and I have to tell you I rushed to the thread eager to find out about this new method. I guess I'll have to put it on hold. I remember somewhere here talking about baking on a grill but I'll have to research this one some more. Didn't you a toaster oven. Some spoke about that as well. I've never tried either.

Reaction score
It's actually my first time hearing about this technique that's why my attention was also immediately caught when I saw the title of the thread. I think @Panadeiro knows a lot about this technique of baking cookies though. I think I'm going to do a research on the "Domplinas" bread. It sounds very interesting. :)

Reaction score
It's actually my first time hearing about this technique that's why my attention was also immediately caught when I saw the title of the thread. I think @Panadeiro knows a lot about this technique of baking cookies though. I think I'm going to do a research on the "Domplinas" bread. It sounds very interesting. :)

Yes, that's a bread my mom makes whenever she can, for real, it'sreally delicious. It is also typically made in my country, it's kind of a national food to be honest, try it out, you will love it.

Reaction score
Oh man. I am sorry to hear about your disaster and I have to tell you I rushed to the thread eager to find out about this new method. I guess I'll have to put it on hold. I remember somewhere here talking about baking on a grill but I'll have to research this one some more. Didn't you a toaster oven. Some spoke about that as well. I've never tried either.

Hahahahha I'm sorry you rushed in only to know about my disaster cooking. I did a second batch and it did not turn THAT bad (it was edible and tasty, just not nice looking).

@Corzhens That how I currenly toast bread, since I don't have a toaster, lol.

Reaction score
Yes, that's a bread my mom makes whenever she can, for real, it'sreally delicious. It is also typically made in my country, it's kind of a national food to be honest, try it out, you will love it.

Guess what? I did try researching about it and I'm really amazed at how simple it is made. This is definitely something I could also do myself. Thank you very much for sharing about it. I'm so happy to have found something new to create for my little boy. :)

This is the picture I got from gourmandize.com:
domplines-puerto-rican-fried-dough.jpg

Reaction score
My grandmother used to do this on hot days. She would "bake" on the stove top, at low heat, using a cast iron skillet. She made breads and cake like stuff. It probably was some type of cake, but I don't know the name. It had the texture of cornbread (which she could also make on the stove top). She crumbled it with homemade pudding and poured cream over the top. Mmm.

Reaction score
Well I am going to go ahead and bet that if I tried this I would also end up with a disaster like you did. I would probably have a panic attack if the oven broke, though, so I would be sure to get it fixed before having to think to go this route, although now that I think about the service on the oven is probably pretty slow, so I would have to try other options. Interesting idea, but I will try to avoid it. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
My oven isn't the greatest, and I wouldn't be happy if it went out. i don't have a toaster oven or any other type of 'oven', although I know there are some available. My microwave isn't doing the greatest job lately either, and I wouldn't want to try to use that for baking anyway. I might consider baking in my big cast iron skillet if I had to. I know people use them to make cornbread and other things like that, but I haven't done that yet. I think if the pan is covered, it might turn out better, although that may depend on what you're cooking.

Reaction score
My oven isn't the greatest, and I wouldn't be happy if it went out. i don't have a toaster oven or any other type of 'oven', although I know there are some available. My microwave isn't doing the greatest job lately either, and I wouldn't want to try to use that for baking anyway. I might consider baking in my big cast iron skillet if I had to. I know people use them to make cornbread and other things like that, but I haven't done that yet. I think if the pan is covered, it might turn out better, although that may depend on what you're cooking.

Oh, I've seen all these post on microwave cakes and cookies, and I'm not able to try them, because my microwave broke down :(

Reaction score
Guess what? I did try researching about it and I'm really amazed at how simple it is made. This is definitely something I could also do myself. Thank you very much for sharing about it. I'm so happy to have found something new to create for my little boy. :)

This is the picture I got from gourmandize.com:
domplines-puerto-rican-fried-dough.jpg

Wow! It really amazes me that you actually tried it by yourself, now you have to give me some of that, indeed!
That definitely is one ofthe easiest recipes from my country, you should also try the Arepas, you will love them.

Reaction score
Oh, I've seen all these post on microwave cakes and cookies, and I'm not able to try them, because my microwave broke down :(
I tried the microwave thing with a few mug cakes. I think they were disasters but I have seen worse. I would me more than interested in seeing some of those disasters. It's always comforting to know you have company in the flop department. :)

Reaction score
Wow! It really amazes me that you actually tried it by yourself, now you have to give me some of that, indeed!
That definitely is one ofthe easiest recipes from my country, you should also try the Arepas, you will love them.

Oohh! I'm definitely learning great new recipes from you. :) I tried googling about arepas and it does seem easy to make. I like easy to make dishes and I'm definitely on the look-out for anything new I could add to my list. So thank you so much for sharing about your local recipes. :)

Reaction score
Oohh! I'm definitely learning great new recipes from you. :) I tried googling about arepas and it does seem easy to make. I like easy to make dishes and I'm definitely on the look-out for anything new I could add to my list. So thank you so much for sharing about your local recipes. :)

It's such a pleasure for me to spread our locar recipes around the world, even when these are already everywhere :p
Hopefully your children like the arepas as much as I do, good luck!

Ask a Question