Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

Reaction score
I used to frequent more expensive, gourmet-type grocery shops, but nowadays, I tend to shop at Kroger, HEB, and Walmart Supercenter, with SuperTarget thrown in once in a while.

My thoughts always turn to apples and pumpkins when Fall is coming around, so I've been thinking about bags of yummy apple chips that I used to buy. I tried all of the varieties, but golden delicious were my ultimate favorite. I looked around, and found this recipe that I want to try. It looks super easy. Have you ever made Baked Apple Chips? I'll probably add in some nutmeg and clove, since I love those combined with apples and cinnamon.

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/233281/apple-chips/?mxt=t06rda

Reaction score
Ah yes, the essential fall flavors...and yes, it is super easy (and cheap!) to make your own. That recipe should be a good starting point for you, and of course you can be as creative with the spices as you want.

Reaction score
Thanks, this sounds like a really healthy recipe :) I might be enjoying of the married life soon (if everything goes well) and I really need to find more and more recipes like this :) I want us both to lead a more healthy lifestyle, and everything starts in the kitchen ;) So I'm trying to find as many healthy recipes as possible, so we can turn to healthy snacks instead of junk.

Reaction score
Thanks, this sounds like a really healthy recipe :) I might be enjoying of the married life soon (if everything goes well) and I really need to find more and more recipes like this :) I want us both to lead a more healthy lifestyle, and everything starts in the kitchen ;) So I'm trying to find as many healthy recipes as possible, so we can turn to healthy snacks instead of junk.

Junk food is nice once in a while, but I do like having healthy options on hand most of the time. Sometimes when I haven't been to the store in a while, I'll fall back on the junk food here, because it's got all the preservatives in it, so lasts longer than what I've run out of, but then my stomach starts acting up, and I remember why i limit my intake of the 'bad' foods, and start craving the healthy ones again.

Reaction score
@Diane Lane My future husband eats so badly, he has since he was little and during all the time he lived with his parents, drinking coke with the dinner... barely drinking any water during the day, etc. I'm going to work very hard to get him to eat healthy and develop good healthy habits :) Wish me luck, this is going to be hard!

And yes, I love eating junk food from time to time, I love onion rings!!! I like to have some on Saturday :) Do you give yourself a day off as well?

Reaction score
I have not made apple chips, but they sound great. I have made dehydrated apple slices that were seasoned with cinnamon, but that's a whole different thing, but another healthy snack option. I like dried fruit a lot as a snack. For me it's easier to eat it dries because it's not messy and I don't have to worry about finishing the whole apple or whatever it is to prevent waste.

Reaction score
@Diane Lane My future husband eats so badly, he has since he was little and during all the time he lived with his parents, drinking coke with the dinner... barely drinking any water during the day, etc. I'm going to work very hard to get him to eat healthy and develop good healthy habits :) Wish me luck, this is going to be hard!

And yes, I love eating junk food from time to time, I love onion rings!!! I like to have some on Saturday :) Do you give yourself a day off as well?

I used to set aside the weekends for eating some junk food, but then found that I actually ate better then, because I had more time to cook full meals, as well as bake. Nowadays, I eat a lot of leftovers, which are usually fairly easy. I tend to buy fun sized treats, that way I can have them more frequently, with less worries, and I have them when the craving hits, but I love that I crave not only 'bad' foods, but also good ones :D.

Reaction score
@Diane Lane I don't have enough willpower to leave behind leftovers of tasty treats ;) You are lucky you have that kind of willpower :( I don't, maybe that is why I gained weight last year, lol. That and my hormonal issues :( I want to keep more healthy snacks around the house in the future, because I know myself ;)

Reaction score
@Diane Lane I don't have enough willpower to leave behind leftovers of tasty treats ;) You are lucky you have that kind of willpower :( I don't, maybe that is why I gained weight last year, lol. That and my hormonal issues :( I want to keep more healthy snacks around the house in the future, because I know myself ;)

Yes, definitely keep healthy ones on hand. There are many reasons why people gain weight, and hormones sure do have a lot to do with it. I think it's good to indulge in a treat now and then. If you can't leave them alone, toss them in the freezer, that will give you time to think about it while they're defrosting :D.

Reaction score
I love apple chips and the best part is that I don't feel guilty when eating a whole handful like I do with potato chips. I actually found a food dehydrator online for $169 and I am thinking of buying it so I can dehydrate snacks. Baking them would have to work for now. Aren't you supposed to bake them low and slow?

Reaction score
I never made any of course as I am still a newbie but it sure looks good. There are some things that are just beautiful to look at but I feel like this might have to be something I try on a holiday. I experiment more on holidays if that makes any sense. Those days allow me more room for error.

Reaction score
I love apple chips and the best part is that I don't feel guilty when eating a whole handful like I do with potato chips. I actually found a food dehydrator online for $169 and I am thinking of buying it so I can dehydrate snacks. Baking them would have to work for now. Aren't you supposed to bake them low and slow?

45 minutes to an hour would be slow, and 225 degrees is pretty low. These are pretty thin chips. My parents had a dehydrator and got a lot of use out of it. That's something I will probably invest in at some point, but for now, most things can be dehydrated using the oven.

Reaction score
Have you tied just leaving them over night in the oven with just the pilot light.(gas stove)

Reaction score
I have seen many people spend money on dehydrators and use them maybe a month then loose intrest and they end up in the garage. They eventually end u[ in garage sales.

Reaction score
I think that I might be a little more inclined to go the pumpkin route of those two choices you lay out, but some baked apple chips sounds pretty good too, and probably a lot easier to make now that I think about it. It is definitely a healthier approach, and I am very curious now so I will have to keep these in mind.

Reaction score
Yes, the consistency of apples make them much better than pumpkin for baking, since they're firmer and would hold up better when fried or baked. I have seen a lot of recipes lately for things like pumpkin fritters, though, and I'm sure those would be delicious.

Ask a Question