Baking for school lunches

Reaction score
My kids will be going back to school this week and I have been busy baking snacks for their lunches. I made cookies and next on the list is brownies. I put them into little packages and into the freezer they go until their final destination into the lunch bags. I feel so much better knowing they aren't eating processed snacks.

Reaction score
My mom used to bake our school snacks in advance, too. She also made up sandwiches without mayonaise on them, just a thin slather of butter instead, and wrap them. All we had to do was go in and grab what we wanted, put it in our lunch box, fill our thermos with something to drink and away we would go. It was so nice and quick and no worry about making lunches every morning.

Reaction score
I thought about making premade sandwhiches, but was trying to think of a way to do it so they don't get soggy. The best way to go about it is lunchmeat and cream cheese wraps with veggies other than lettuce. Cabbage is a good choice because it is firm

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan on pre made sandwiches for school lunches. They get soggy to quick. I do, however, bake up big batches of sweets and seperate into individual bags to put into the freezer until destination time, otherwise. My Foodsaver machine does wonders.

Reaction score
I love the Foodsaver machine! My parents got me one last Christmas as they swear by theirs. I now swear by mine as it makes seperating packages so much faster and easier. I now prechop veggies and fruits to use later and store them in the freezer!

Reaction score
A cake pop would be fun as a lunch time snack. They are just a small bite and easy to pack. Instead of having whole cupcake this they get just a little something sweet.

Reaction score
Cake pops are always a good idea ;). I bake all sorts of little treats for mine, too, and it is nicer knowing that you know exactly what's going in their food.

Reaction score
My parents never did this but my boyfriend's mom did, and boy did I wish my parents did that! I think there's something about eating a home-baked good that makes your stomach grumble and your friends jealous.

There's also this recipe around the internet for home-made fruit roll-up. You should check it out and see if you're interested :)

Reaction score
My parents never did this but my boyfriend's mom did, and boy did I wish my parents did that! I think there's something about eating a home-baked good that makes your stomach grumble and your friends jealous.

There's also this recipe around the internet for home-made fruit roll-up. You should check it out and see if you're interested :)

Too true...and your home-made fruit roll up brought to mind a few recipes I've seen for candy/dessert sushi...different variations but a lot of them with rice crispy treats and fruit rolls up. That would be a fun little switch up from the normal cupcake or cookie =).

Reaction score
Too true...and your home-made fruit roll up brought to mind a few recipes I've seen for candy/dessert sushi...different variations but a lot of them with rice crispy treats and fruit rolls up. That would be a fun little switch up from the normal cupcake or cookie =).
Yeah definitely! I've wanted to try the fruit roll-up things but my fridge isn't exactly big enough for a full-sized baking sheet. Maybe I can just buy a small baking sheet instead or something like that :)

Reaction score
My kids will be going back to school this week and I have been busy baking snacks for their lunches. I made cookies and next on the list is brownies. I put them into little packages and into the freezer they go until their final destination into the lunch bags. I feel so much better knowing they aren't eating processed snacks.
This is great! A wonderful, healthy and practical idea! I think that this idea should be referred to by each and every single parent across America, and in the world! We all are looking for better snacks for our kids, and for more healthful ways to feed them, so at times, it feels a little tedious and difficult overall, to accomplish this, based on our tight budget, and also because we might feel that we've more or less "run out of options!"
So, "what's there left to do?!" we might think to ourselves, but thankfully, there are people out there like you, who dare to be different, and start their own, positive and helpful trend, that's gonna truly revolutionize the way we treat our kids, and the ways that we feed them!
Baked goods are so wholesome, and full of great benefits, especially because they're made by us, the parents! We know already what our kids want, and what kind of baked goods "suit their tastes", but more importantly, we know what they need! And that's what we're gonna give 'em with this baked-goods-for-lunch trend!

I personally recommend oatmeal cookies, banana bread, and perhaps even a little slice of apple pie every once in a while.

Reaction score
It's a great joy to bake cake and puddings for my children to take to school as they enjoys it immensely..i usually bake potato pudding,cornmeal pudding,banana bread and carrot cake. I think it's not only more economical but it also spare them the pain that's come with standing in those overcrowded lunch line...i can remember how much i hated standing in those lines when i was going to school so i try not to put them through that.

Ask a Question