Baking with salted caramel...

Reaction score
I usually bake a chocolate cake with buttermilk, espresso and lots of dark chocolate. I modified the Donna Hay recipe. I'm looking to bake a chocolate cake with salted caramel but don't want to make a layer cake - instead i want to make the cake a single layer. To do this I was hoping to freeze salted caramel in an ice cube tray and drop these frozen salted caramel cubes into my cake batter prior to baking.

I would then cover this with salted chocolate ganache and inside would be chocolate caramel goodness... DOES anyone know whether this would work?

Reaction score
Both your original and your new idea sound delicious. Are you making your own salted caramel then or using candies? If you're using candies, I don't think you would need to freeze them. I think you could drop them in as is. If you're making your own, and it is quite soft, freezing might work. I think I'd try freezing a lit bit of it first to see how it affects it.

You could also try making a mug cake or other small cake first as a test run. Good luck. I enjoy salted caramel. Yum.

Ask a Question