Banana Split Icebox Cake

Reaction score
Sometimes known as just Banana Split Cake.

It's not really a cake, it's more of a dessert casserole, but the only part you bake is the crust.
It is really good and really "bad"!!!! LOL

If you want something fun and different for a party, this would be it! You can make mini's or you can make the full pan size.

banana-split-dessert-2-550.jpg

There are HUNDREDS of variations to making this, but the recipe below is the one I use.

Reaction score
Banana Split (Icebox) Cake

1 - 9x13 casserole dish
2 - boxes of Jello brand instant cheesecake (plain)
2 or 3 - large, ripe bananas
1 - small can of crushed pineapple
1 - small jar of maraschino cherries
1 - tub of Cool Whip topping (any type)
1 - bottle of chocolate ice cream sauce (your fav, or any kind)
1 - small package of chopped nuts (mixed, or any kind)

Crust -
Mix the crust from the instant cheesecake box, per the directions on the package (I usually add a half teaspoon of cinnamon to the mix). Once mixed, pack it down well inside the bottom of the casserole dish. Bake for 5 minutes at 350 degrees. (you don't HAVE to bake it, but to me it makes it better if the crust is baked) Let cool completely.

Filling -
Slice the bananas up and spread them out on top of the crust so there is a nice layer of banana on top of the crust.
Mix the cheesecake mixture according to the box directions, MINUS 1/2 cup of the liquid/milk. Pour over the banana's/crust in the casserole dish. Smooth out with a knife or spatula.
Place into the fridge, covered, for at least two hours, or until the cheesecake part is completely set.

Toppings -
Drain the crushed pineapple and spread or sprinkle the bits and pieces over the top of the cheesecake in the casserole dish.
Cover the entire thing with a layer of Cool Whip.
Decorate the top of the dessert with drained/dried off maraschino cherries, drizzled chocolate syrup, and sprinkled chopped nuts.

Place back into the fridge for at least two hours.

Reaction score
Variations -

*use whole Graham Crackers and layer them in this as you would a lasagna, alternating thin layers of graham cracker, cheesecake filling, bananas, and pineapple.

*you can make your own real cheesecake as a base for this if you want.

*you can also use french vanilla pudding or mousse instead of cheesecake.

*some people even use filo dough as the crust, but this is very tricky.

Reaction score
Oh, my, does that look tasty. We enjoy a good banana split on rare occasions, so that would work. I may have to make this for the next birthday that rolls around. So many possibilities with this recipe.

I'm guessing a little bit goes a long way though. That's a lot of rich sweetness all in one pan.

Reaction score
I think this recipe belongs in my most difficult thread look. I wonder when I would ever attempt something like this. Looks so good but oh so bad for me.....health wise.

Reaction score
The thing I love about this recipe is that it's easy to put together in a relatively short amount of time! All the variations look really good - I would definitely give this a try if I was hosting a get together or if I needed to bring a sweet treat to an event!

Reaction score
Oh dear... that looks amazing! I had no idea Jello sold instant cheesecake mixes? That is amazing, but since I have never tasted that mix... could this be done with actual cheesecake? Maybe use gelatin so it doesn't have to be baked? Would this work?

Reaction score
Wow! This is something new and looks delicious too. What usually I am doing is the Pineapple Icebox Cake. This recipe is amazing and the ingredients I love it! Thanks for sharing :)

Reaction score
Oh dear... that looks amazing! I had no idea Jello sold instant cheesecake mixes? That is amazing, but since I have never tasted that mix... could this be done with actual cheesecake? Maybe use gelatin so it doesn't have to be baked? Would this work?

Yes, it can be any kind of cheesecake, thick pudding, mousse, or custard.

Of course, if you make everything by hand, then you control the sugar levels in everything.
If you make a less sweet cheesecake by hand, then it will not be as overpoweringly sweet with all the other ingredients on top.

If you make scratch whipped cream, then again, you control the sugar.....you don't have to put much sugar in whipped cream to get it sweet. You can also use artificial sweeteners in the whipped cream.

You can use fresh fruit instead of canned fruit.

You can make your own chocolate syrup as well....and once again, you control the sugar.

If you make this from scratch, I would suggest ginger snap cookies with a dash of cinnamon and a tiny bit of brown sugar in it when its all crushed up for the crust. Bake it firm also.

Reaction score
Yes, it can be any kind of cheesecake, thick pudding, mousse, or custard.

Of course, if you make everything by hand, then you control the sugar levels in everything.
If you make a less sweet cheesecake by hand, then it will not be as overpoweringly sweet with all the other ingredients on top.

If you make scratch whipped cream, then again, you control the sugar.....you don't have to put much sugar in whipped cream to get it sweet. You can also use artificial sweeteners in the whipped cream.

You can use fresh fruit instead of canned fruit.

You can make your own chocolate syrup as well....and once again, you control the sugar.

If you make this from scratch, I would suggest ginger snap cookies with a dash of cinnamon and a tiny bit of brown sugar in it when its all crushed up for the crust. Bake it firm also.

Awesome, I'm guessing you have done this from scratch :) Is it much better when done from scratch? I will definitely keep all that i mind, I will definitely use fruit instead f canned fruit and also make the cheesecake, but I'll get the rest from the store.

Reaction score
Awesome, I'm guessing you have done this from scratch :) Is it much better when done from scratch? I will definitely keep all that i mind, I will definitely use fruit instead f canned fruit and also make the cheesecake, but I'll get the rest from the store.

LOL....Oh no.....I have only made the quick and easy one via the instant cheesecake mixes.

I am pretty good at creating, adjusting, and altering recipes though. I've always had a knack for that....I think I got that from my grandma.

Reaction score
sounds good to me,we will get the stuff and make it at the same time,that will be fun,if we can figure out a time that works for us both :)

Reaction score
does one box of the instant cheesecake mixes cover the bottom of the dish ? and use the other one for the filling ?

Reaction score
well does it ? :)

I'm going to pick the stuff up this coming week bella,so be ready :)

where does on find the Jello brand instant cheesecake in the grocery store ? in the cake mixes ?

Ask a Question