Be honest.. How much 'equipment' and utensils do you actually own?

Reaction score
Is it just me that seems to hoard all baking utensils. I have more spatulas, wooden spoons, whisks and pastry brushes than I could ever use in my entire lifetime, but I still buy more when I see them...

I now possess 3 stand mixers, and 12 bowls to go between them (each bowl fits all of the mixers, as they're all Kenwood make). I have 2 sets of digital scales identical to one another, mainly because I'm paranoid that if one stops working, I'll be in real trouble! Cooling racks and cake tins in any shape or size.. I don't even know how many I have. Each time I go into a second hand store and see one there for a few pence, I just can't stop myself. I know for a fact that I have at least 15-16 7" round cake tins, because this is the size I use most often and 8 can fit into my oven in one go. whilst they're in the oven, I can then be filling the others with a different batter for the next batch..

My main excuse for all this equipment is that I hate washing up. And when I can go through bowl after bowl without washing up, I can then fill the dishwasher, and use that instead. If I had to wash the bowl after each use, I'd spend more time at the sink than actually baking.. (I do have solar panels on my roof, so when the weather's how it is today, my electricity is free, and renewable: I am environmentally conscious, I just can't stand washing up...!)

I realise I'm probably slightly excessive, but I love baking, so it all seems worth it. I'm sure with the markets my mum and I attend selling our produce, that I've made my money back on these items.. So I wouldn't say they were wasteful purchases.

How much equipment do you own in your kitchen? Is it just me, or are there more baking-hoarders out there? :D

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of equipment like mixers, but I also hoard baking utensils, mostly wooden spoons and cookie cutters. I also like those Nordicware cake pans that are shaped like animals and flowers. I've cut out shopping for baking stuff, but I still have quite a few things that I collected over the last few years.

Reaction score
My mom gets me a new cooking utensil every Christmas. I have several wooden spoons and whisk. I'm pretty sure my cookie cutters multiple eveeytime I open that drawer. Too many muffin pans. So many different cake pan shapes. Wow, I didn't really realize how much I had until I started listing them! I have a cake ball machine as well. Oh well! If you enjoy doing something you have to have the tools to do it with ! :)

Reaction score
I didn't realise how much I had until I decided to have a tidy-up. I wanted nice clear work surfaces instead of having to give one up to a tray of utensils and other baking gear etc. But it won't all fit in my cupboards.. I realised I have an entire cupboard full of teacups and coffee mugs. Yes I have friends around often, but not 90 of them all in one go! So some have gone to a second hand shop in town.

I think after watching a couple of those hoarding programs on television I'm really starting to worry about myself. I'm still at a pretty tidy stage but the sheer amount of everything I own is unbelievable considering there are only two of us in a 5-bed...

Out of curiosity, is a cake ball machine one of those that makes cake pops? How good are they? Do you have to bake cake and put crumbs etc in or can tou put basic ingredients in and it'll cook it too? Probably seems like a dumb question but I've never heard of one before.. I have a few(..a lot of...) moulds for cake pops but I've always just done everything by hand..

Glad to know I'm not the only one though! :D

Reaction score
I didn't realise how much I had until I decided to have a tidy-up. I wanted nice clear work surfaces instead of having to give one up to a tray of utensils and other baking gear etc. But it won't all fit in my cupboards.. I realised I have an entire cupboard full of teacups and coffee mugs. Yes I have friends around often, but not 90 of them all in one go! So some have gone to a second hand shop in town.

I think after watching a couple of those hoarding programs on television I'm really starting to worry about myself. I'm still at a pretty tidy stage but the sheer amount of everything I own is unbelievable considering there are only two of us in a 5-bed...

Out of curiosity, is a cake ball machine one of those that makes cake pops? How good are they? Do you have to bake cake and put crumbs etc in or can tou put basic ingredients in and it'll cook it too? Probably seems like a dumb question but I've never heard of one before.. I have a few(..a lot of...) moulds for cake pops but I've always just done everything by hand..

Glad to know I'm not the only one though! :D

Yes it makes those cake pops! You just put the batter in and it cooks it pretty quickly. I am struggling with getting the measure right about how much to put in each hole or circle though. Once I get thay down I'll be good! But I do enjoy it, ny product just doesn't come out the best. Thinking of putting brownie mix in next time and see how that works. I'd imagine it work well! Fingers crossed!

Reaction score
Yes it makes those cake pops! You just put the batter in and it cooks it pretty quickly. I am struggling with getting the measure right about how much to put in each hole or circle though. Once I get thay down I'll be good! But I do enjoy it, ny product just doesn't come out the best. Thinking of putting brownie mix in next time and see how that works. I'd imagine it work well! Fingers crossed!

That's clever.. How many cake-pops can you make at a time, though? I might look into getting myself one.. (Typical me.. I make a post about having too much equipment and might end up buying something else as a result..hehe. :oops: ) Brownie-pops sound great.. I might try them without the machine.. :D I also know someone who makes marshmallow-pops, but these are significantly simpler: Large marshmallow dipped in Belgian chocolate and then decorated. I think she's a little bit of a cheat.. hehe :p

Fingers crossed for us both then. :)

Reaction score
That's clever.. How many cake-pops can you make at a time, though? I might look into getting myself one.. (Typical me.. I make a post about having too much equipment and might end up buying something else as a result..hehe. :oops: ) Brownie-pops sound great.. I might try them without the machine.. :D I also know someone who makes marshmallow-pops, but these are significantly simpler: Large marshmallow dipped in Belgian chocolate and then decorated. I think she's a little bit of a cheat.. hehe :p

Fingers crossed for us both then. :)

It varies. Some cake pop makers make 7 large cake pops or doughnut holes. Some cake pop makers make 9 small cake pops. I'm thinking of buying one with larger holes so I can also use it for doughnut holes, takoyaki, and pancake bites.

Reaction score
Is it just me that seems to hoard all baking utensils. I have more spatulas, wooden spoons, whisks and pastry brushes than I could ever use in my entire lifetime, but I still buy more when I see them...

I now possess 3 stand mixers, and 12 bowls to go between them (each bowl fits all of the mixers, as they're all Kenwood make). I have 2 sets of digital scales identical to one another, mainly because I'm paranoid that if one stops working, I'll be in real trouble! Cooling racks and cake tins in any shape or size.. I don't even know how many I have. Each time I go into a second hand store and see one there for a few pence, I just can't stop myself. I know for a fact that I have at least 15-16 7" round cake tins, because this is the size I use most often and 8 can fit into my oven in one go. whilst they're in the oven, I can then be filling the others with a different batter for the next batch..

My main excuse for all this equipment is that I hate washing up. And when I can go through bowl after bowl without washing up, I can then fill the dishwasher, and use that instead. If I had to wash the bowl after each use, I'd spend more time at the sink than actually baking.. (I do have solar panels on my roof, so when the weather's how it is today, my electricity is free, and renewable: I am environmentally conscious, I just can't stand washing up...!)

I realise I'm probably slightly excessive, but I love baking, so it all seems worth it. I'm sure with the markets my mum and I attend selling our produce, that I've made my money back on these items.. So I wouldn't say they were wasteful purchases.

How much equipment do you own in your kitchen? Is it just me, or are there more baking-hoarders out there? :D
WOW! Three mixers...that's awesome. I don't bake that much, but I will say that I will not need a registry by the time I get married. I have lots of kitchen gadgets and equipment, and quite a collection of cookie cutters ;)

Reaction score
To be honest I don't own a lot baking equipment! I do most of the things by hand, it's not as difficult as it sounds :) I plan on buying more equipment as soon as I move from the country. I plan on getting a lot stuff: baking and decoration related.

Reaction score
In terms of equipment, I only have a hand mixer, but I have a lot of utensils. I'm lacking a bit in tins and cookie cutters, but I make up for it in various spoons and things. I got so many measuring spoons, spatulas etc. when I moved into halls of residence and never used any of them!

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I don't have much! I have about two mixers, several really nice spoons, some tin bowls, and different types of slicers. They do the job for me! You don't have to have tons of fancy equipment to make marvelous baked goods Just think about way back in the day when chefs and bakers didn't have any of the utensils we have, aside from spoons, bowls, and knives!

Reaction score
Right now I'm missing a lot utensils that would really come in handy, but so far I've done quite well without them, but I must admit things would have gone better if I could have everything I need in the kitchen. My mixer broke a few weeks ago and so far I haven't been able to get a new one :( Man, a mixer would make everything so easy!

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, when I was planning to get my own place , I started buying kitchen items on sale and saving them for what ended up being my current apartment.
Now that I'm actually moved in, I realize that there are some kitchen items that I bought too many of and some that I didn't buy enough of.
I have way too many specialty shaped holiday baking pans, but I always end up reaching for the round cake pan. I also have too many wooden spoons, but I always use silicone spatulas and spoons. One of these days I'll have an eBay sale to declutter my kitchen.

Reaction score
I honestly don't have that much in the way of kitchen/baking equipment....didn't really get much passed down to me or anything and I haven't had the money yet to build up a collection like I want to, but I hope that I will eventually. I'd love to have a huge arsenal of nice, quality baking tools :).

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of equipment. I have a stand mixer, a hand mixer and a blender. I have tons of tools and cutting boards. I don't even want to count them. I keep the ones that I only use occasionally in a special container. I can't bring myself to throw them away.

The local Dollar Tree sells Betty Crocker utensils and tools. They are pretty good quality and they last forever. I don't understand how they ended up at the Dollar Tree. I have picked up some great stuff for only a buck. I live near Big Lots and I have picked up some great kitchen stuff for bargain prices.

Yes, I have a problem. Sometimes I'm in denial. I don't talk about it much.

Reaction score
I honestly haven't gotten around to counting how much equipment and utensils i actually own as i have a lot of them stored in my cupboard that was handed down to me from my mom and grandmother.

Reaction score
We donated a ton of stuff last year, we had so much stuff, it seemed like we went through different stages, first just basic wood and metal stuff, then stainless, then non stick metal, then non scratch non stick plastic, and now silicone. We basically use silicone tipped and covered stuff with a bunch of wood spoons of course, since we use got the calphalon unison pans, they are not metal utensil friendly and since the kids will sometimes cook and I could picture them scraping the heck out of our pans, I just figured it would be easier to get rid of them... We also got rid of 3 blenders and 2 food processors...
Now as far as the counter top appliances go, we have a large mixer, a kitchen aid mixer, a robot coupe r2n processor, an 18" sheeter, commercial bunn single serve coffee machine, and a few other gadgets.. BUT we use it all, otherwise I would not have all this ugly equipment cluttering up my counters...

Reaction score
I just donated a bunch of shaped holiday baking pans because they were taking up way too much space for items that only get used once a year. I also got rid of a third of my bowls. I had too many mixing bowls.

Reaction score
I have less of some utensils than other ones, and, too many of other ones that I don't use that often. I've been donating the ones I have too many of and hoping to find good deals on a variety pack of utensils I could use daily. Cooking without the correct utensils is often frustrating and may cause people that like to cook to avoid doing so.

Reaction score
I am a hoarder of kitchen gadgets and utensils! I really ought to clear some of them out, but I worry that as soon as it's gone, I'll find a use for it again. I do have them all put away tidily though, and I can't bear clutter around my worktops.

My guilty pleasure on the kitchen worktops is my collection of coffee machines - no matter what type of coffee you want, I can make it for you! Total coffee addict..... ;)

Ask a Question