Best apples to use

Reaction score
If you have ever been wondering what apple could be a good pick for let's say a pie or a sauce, then check out this nice visual guide. It will tell you everything you might need to know before starting a cooking project with apples :)

ac0884b4d4d6cd72dce5a87e931c3fe2.jpg

Reaction score
Picking out the right baking apples can be confusing so this is a great guide. I have never tried any apple other than Granny Smith for pies, but I think I am going to experiment with some of the other listed apples. I have never heard of the Rome Beauty or Sweet Tango variety before. I am going to see if my grocery store carries those.

Reaction score
The chart is pretty consistent with what I usually do - Granny Smiths are my go-to for baking, and for eating, Fuji apples are a firm favorite in my household! They're always so crisp and juicy!

Reaction score
I love the Fuji ones =D But lately we are having some issues finding them. Golden delicious are also a favorite at home, as well as the gala ones :) For baking I no prefer pears, I tried them when I was abroad and liked them better.

Reaction score
if "Granny Smith" was across each category, I'd use it all the time! Hah. But thanks for the chart - it's actually quite handy. I always wondered what other apples would make a good pie. I've tried tart meals, I've tried apple crisp - but the pies always turn out more like a crispy then a pie. Need to dice them finer, and use some new ones instead!

Yay for new apple ideas.

Reaction score
I love apples, fresh or cooked. I tend to buy the same types over and over, usually gala, fuji, golden delicious and red delicious and mcintosh <--because they're my Mom's favorite, so we grew u eating them) for eating, and mcintosh and granny smith for pies. I use the eating apples for dishes like baked apples.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this chart telling what are the best apples to use for baking, fresh eating, pies and sauces. I am happy that I always made the right choice of choosing Fuji apple for eating. Now I already had an idea when it comes to apples and its uses.

Reaction score
what is the difference between the baking apples and the pie ones ? I've been using Granny Smiths in my Baked Pie and it is a bit tart to me

Ask a Question