Cake Baking Mistakes Everyone Needs to stop Making

Reaction score
I was reading a post earlier from a new member who said he/she was a novice in the baking department and had some baking concerns about a particular recipe. I can relate to that and I am slowly getting better and better.

In my reading I stumbled on the above titled article and felt it was a one good to share. While most might be long pass making these mistakes, I think the reminders are good for newbies myself included.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/30/common-cake-baking-mistakes_n_1571776.html

Reaction score
I am guilty of not mixing the batter enough and not using parchment paper in the bottom of the pan. Who wants to spend the time cutting the paper to fit the pan properly, but I know that I should. I wish they would come out with precut sheets. Maybe they do and I have just not seen them?

Reaction score
Woah, awesome article! I agree with all the points made, but some of them are very obvious for people who has been baking for a while. This is so useful for people just starting out, actually I wish I had read something like this when I jut started baking. As for the point number 6.... you can skip that one easily and save a lot cash by just buying one of those molds with a removable bottom lid.

Reaction score
Even though I was aware of many if not all, I thought I'd share as I found them quite useful. I just re-visited the link and noticed there are 101 recipes shared at the bottom of the page. Can you believe I am through looking at 101 cakes and not one of them I am prepared to try just yet? None look simple enough for me while quite beautiful to look at. You should take a look and let me know if there are any you have tried or would contemplate trying. Even if I would try any, it would be minus the toppings.

Reaction score
Interesting. My recipes ask for greasing, but never flouring, though I've heard of it.

Actually, I don't do most of these things, I think, and I'm doing fine. Like people mentioned -- mixing the dry stuff is as efficient as sifting the flour, and a great time saver (also a good idea -- I usually mix dry and wet stuff separate before combining).

Reaction score
Even though I was aware of many if not all, I thought I'd share as I found them quite useful. I just re-visited the link and noticed there are 101 recipes shared at the bottom of the page. Can you believe I am through looking at 101 cakes and not one of them I am prepared to try just yet? None look simple enough for me while quite beautiful to look at. You should take a look and let me know if there are any you have tried or would contemplate trying. Even if I would try any, it would be minus the toppings.

The purple ombre cake looks so beautiful :oops: But to be honest with you I don't think I'll be making one of those anytime soon, as you said sounds like a lot of work and I kinda suck at decoration, lol. But who knows, maybe one day I will try this one? Mostly because I love purple =D The tunnel fugde cake looks complex too! I think there are cakes I will never try making.

Have you ever tried the impossible cake? It was impossible for me to get it right the first couple of times, lol.

Reaction score
when i flour the pan the cake sticks to the pan and wont come off. perhaps its because i dont use parchment paper, but it isn't available in my country so i can't help it. soo i dont flour it, only greasing.

and yes the recipes below are awesome! :D

Reaction score
I dont tap it i know i should but i forget. A great way to get over the agony of cutting baking paper is reuseable sheets. I cut them once to my pan size and wala! I dont have to again for a while

Reaction score
when i flour the pan the cake sticks to the pan and wont come off. perhaps its because i dont use parchment paper, but it isn't available in my country so i can't help it. soo i dont flour it, only greasing.

and yes the recipes below are awesome! :D
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you :) We do have parchment paper where we live, but I don't always have it on hand when I bake which can become a problem. I would definitely butter the pan as well as put flour on it. The flour will get stuck to the pan, and after you remove the excess you can then put the batter in the pan no problem.

That's not a fool-proof way to do it, but the cake definitely comes out cleaner than if you were to not use any flour with the oil. And if there are any imperfections, I just put some frosting over it to cover it up :p

Reaction score
I am guilty of not mixing the batter enough and not using parchment paper in the bottom of the pan. Who wants to spend the time cutting the paper to fit the pan properly, but I know that I should. I wish they would come out with precut sheets. Maybe they do and I have just not seen them?
Lakeland has precut parchment paper

Reaction score
I've never greased and floured a pan in my life, and I've never had any problems.

I've also never used waxed paper or parchment paper on anything other than lining a tray so I don't get it dirty, or to soak up grease.

There are a lot of considerations to take in when baking. If you just go in "blind" and don't research or pay attention to your previous mistakes, then you will always have problems.

I have a logical mind, therefore I am always thinking ahead about causes and effects.
I can usually foresee a problem and prevent it. Not that I've never had problems, but I've never had these kinds of problems, mainly because they are so easy to avoid.

Reaction score
As a newbie here Now I know I should sift my flour before mix it into the batter. No wonder my cake looks so dry and not even. Thank you for this awesome article.

Reaction score
Thank you for the article! Even though I've been baking for a long time, I also forget sifting the flour and placing the parchment paper at times just like any newbie.

Ask a Question