Cake decorating trends for 2016

Reaction score
Here is something I ran across last week.........and I have never seen this before.....

Painted pie crust!!!

Screen-Shot-2013-06-17-at-10.00.25-AM.png

Using a pie crust as a canvas, and food color pastes as paints, and painting on pie crusts!!!!
How WILD is that!!!!

This looks like one of those meat pie things encased in crust, and the crust was painted.....
PaintedPastryBHG.jpg

This person took it to the 3D level.....
IMG_1395.jpg

And here is someone who really had some talent!
a21.jpg

Reaction score
@ChesterV -- they are INCREDIBLE. Seriously, my pies now feel so dull and boring compared to some of these masterpieces! I've done the 3D leaves and stuff with pie crust, but the idea of painting them never even crossed my mind until now! People's imaginations when it comes to this sort of stuff just amaze me!

Reaction score
I saw this about some predicted cake decorating trends for 2016 - I loved the look of the watercolor and marble and thought they looked so unique and lovely! I want to give them a try sometime!

http://queen.com.au/cake-decorating-trend-predictions-for-2016/

Can you think of any cake decorating styles you think might be on trend for this year?

The buttercream flowers in that list are stunning! I had a watch of the video tutorial - she makes it look so easy, but I bet they are really fiddly!

Reaction score
The buttercream flowers in that list are stunning! I had a watch of the video tutorial - she makes it look so easy, but I bet they are really fiddly!

Roses are probably the easiest ones to make. The more difficult ones for me are the Chrysanthemum types. I can never get those to look right. Lilys are difficult for me too, as are Pansies. I don't think I've ever been able to do a Pansy flower that didn't look like a squashed bug!!!

Reaction score
Here is something I ran across last week.........and I have never seen this before.....

Painted pie crust!!!

Screen-Shot-2013-06-17-at-10.00.25-AM.png

Using a pie crust as a canvas, and food color pastes as paints, and painting on pie crusts!!!!
How WILD is that!!!!

This looks like one of those meat pie things encased in crust, and the crust was painted.....
PaintedPastryBHG.jpg

This person took it to the 3D level.....
IMG_1395.jpg

And here is someone who really had some talent!
a21.jpg

Those ought to be some of the prettiest things I have ever seen in my entire life! Prettiest ever!!!! Whoever can do this is a real master baker and cake decorator. Specially those beautiful pie crusts! How do they do that?

Reaction score
Those ought to be some of the prettiest things I have ever seen in my entire life! Prettiest ever!!!! Whoever can do this is a real master baker and cake decorator. Specially those beautiful pie crusts! How do they do that?

Well, there are fondant molding kits and tools you can use to make sculpted fondant decor for cakes.
You can use the same tools and molds for pie crust decorations as well.

Reaction score
This is an old art form from some of the Asian countries....but it's pretty neat regardless

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, there are fondant molding kits and tools you can use to make sculpted fondant decor for cakes.
You can use the same tools and molds for pie crust decorations as well.

Thank you :D I will definitely look into this :) I will search online, because I have never seen such a thing in my local stores, and will surely end up going for this (If I find it) I'll leave this for very special occasions :)

Reaction score
Wow! As if I weren't already intimidated enough when it comes to cake decorating.

I hope Wintrybella doesn't see this. Shhhh.

These all look so pretty. The upside down thing is cool too.

Reaction score
Oh wow, those are all beautiful cakes. I especially love the upside down chandelier one. It seems that cakes are almost too beautiful to eat these days. I would hate to cut into some of them. I really miss the concept of old fashion buttercream frosting though. Many professional cakes are now topped with a thin layer of buttercream and a sheet of fondant. Fondant makes cakes look amazing, but I am not all that fond of the taste of it in large quantities. I really like to have a big slathering of buttercream frosting on mine.

Reaction score
Oh wow, those are all beautiful cakes. I especially love the upside down chandelier one. It seems that cakes are almost too beautiful to eat these days. I would hate to cut into some of them. I really miss the concept of old fashion buttercream frosting though. Many professional cakes are now topped with a thin layer of buttercream and a sheet of fondant. Fondant makes cakes look amazing, but I am not all that fond of the taste of it in large quantities. I really like to have a big slathering of buttercream frosting on mine.

Yeah, I don't like fondant.
When I was a baker, I taught myself to sculpt with buttercream. I had a following of people who specifically asked for me to do their cakes, because I could get the same results with buttercream as someone else "cheating" by using fondant. Fondant is nasty tasting.

I've made cakes for people before, where no one wanted to "destroy" them. Well, I didn't make it to just sit there and draw flies!! LOL So, I would take a knife and stab it. So then it wasn't "too pretty to eat" anymore!

Ask a Question