Cake pans

Reaction score
I cook lots of pound cakes. They turn out great but the tube cake pans dont last. After a couple dozen cakes they start sticking to the pan. I have bought cheap pans and expensive pans and always get the same results. I have used the baking spray as well as lard and flour to coat the pan. Is this just expected?

Reaction score
It's not the quality of the pan, but the metal it's made out of. If you are going to get something that works the same each time, you want either stainless steel or cast iron. Even Pyrex would work.

It sounds like you get pans that have a base coat of enamel on them, which does wear off pretty quickly. If you use some non-enameled pans (no spray coating on the metal of any kind) and get those seasoned, they should work the same for a long time.

Personally, I've always used bundt pans instead of loaf pans, but thats just me.

If you are going into mass production, you might look at silicone. I don't know how long silicone would last, I've never known anyone who has bought silicone bakeware and used it for mass production. Might be something to check on.

Reaction score
Have you ever tried the spray with flour in it, or tried adding a light coating of flour after spraying the pans? I have had the same issue with cakes and other baked goods sticking, but the flour really does help. It's good to know about the specific types of metal and also glass being better, Chester, I'll have to look into that when it's time to replace my pans.

Reaction score
Hi Charlie Baker! :) Same as what @Diane Lane mentioned, I'm not really an expert when it comes to this kind of thing but I think glass is also a good replacement for the metals you use. I remember attending a baking seminar once and the lecturer has demonstrated the use of glass instead of metal in baking cakes and the cakes didn't stick to the glass.

Reaction score
Hi Charlie Baker! :) Same as what @Diane Lane mentioned, I'm not really an expert when it comes to this kind of thing but I think glass is also a good replacement for the metals you use. I remember attending a baking seminar once and the lecturer has demonstrated the use of glass instead of metal in baking cakes and the cakes didn't stick to the glass.
I am no expert myself and really when I listen to the others I really need to go out and get me some more pans but I love the results I get when I bake a bread in my glassware. It's perfection and easy to clean. I adjust the temperatures and 'Voila' is my expression when everything turns out fine. Meanwhile I have some rust pans sitting in my cupboard that I don't know if to throw out or try to restore. I am leaning towards the former.

Reaction score
I am no expert myself and really when I listen to the others I really need to go out and get me some more pans but I love the results I get when I bake a bread in my glassware. It's perfection and easy to clean. I adjust the temperatures and 'Voila' is my expression when everything turns out fine. Meanwhile I have some rust pans sitting in my cupboard that I don't know if to throw out or try to restore. I am leaning towards the former.

I don't know how to perfectly describe it but I guess it's the purenes of the glass that makes baking with it a bit more perfect than using pans. There are non-stick pans though but just like what you said, glasswares are easier to clean. :)

Reaction score
I don't know how to perfectly describe it but I guess it's the purenes of the glass that makes baking with it a bit more perfect than using pans. There are non-stick pans though but just like what you said, glasswares are easier to clean. :)
@gracer, I generally like a quick fix so I am thinking to invest in some more glass ware. My only concern is that since I am always running around with like a chicken without a head, I might end up with some breakage.
@Charlie Baker, are you any closer to a plan going forward?

Reaction score
@Winterybella Speaking of breakage, it's just so ironic that I have read your post right when I just broke one of my glass kitchen wares today. I think that's the thing though with using glass for baking or cooking. One has to really be extra careful in handling glass wares in the kitchen especially when things become slippery.

Reaction score
@Winterybella Speaking of breakage, it's just so ironic that I have read your post right when I just broke one of my glass kitchen wares today. I think that's the thing though with using glass for baking or cooking. One has to really be extra careful in handling glass wares in the kitchen especially when things become slippery.
And with the way I am always rushing, I have quite a record of breaking things. Recently I allowed a sales person to persuade me to buy a glass blender. I don't have to tell you how nervous and careful I have been. I so regret not following my mind and getting the plastic especially since I want to use it so often. Sorry @gracer. I hate to break stuff and I can get very attached to my stuff especially if it's something I have had for years even if it didn't cost much.

Reaction score
I love the idea of having a lot of glass cookware, but is there an upper temperature limit? I know there seems to be with pottery cookware. I guess they're more suited for low and slow cooking, but I don't know if that's the case with glassware. I tend to shy away from breakables, because I'm clumsy and drop a lot, and also shy away from heavy items, since I have hand/wrist issues.

Reaction score
I love the idea of having a lot of gl.ass cookware, but is there an upper temperature limit? I know there seems to be with pottery cookware. I guess they're more suited for low and slow cooking, but I don't know if that's the case with glassware. I tend to shy away from breakables, because I'm clumsy and drop a lot, and also shy away from heavy items, since I have hand/wrist issues.
I bake my banana bread in the glassware every time and all I do is lower the temp by 15 degrees and the timing remains the same. So far it's been flawless. I don't know I am clumsy, I am just always rushing. What are you doing about the wrist? I am having some concerns recently and I know it has to be about me being on the computer 23/7.

Reaction score
@Winterybella I know what you mean. I am also the kind of person who really gets attached to things. Maybe that's why I really find it hard to let go of most of my stuff even if they're already old. As long as they're still in working condition, I would keep them with me until they wear out. That's why I really felt so upset when I broke my glass cooking ware yesterday. :(

Reaction score
Yes, I'm also always rushing, but on top of that, I'm clumsy @Winterybella :p. I have thumb splints that also help my hands and wrists, and I take anti-inflammatories and pain medication for the wrists & rest of my body. I have the inflammation throughout the body, but of course we use our hands/wrists for just about everything, so those symptoms are often more pronounced than the rest. I also use ice packs and a paraffin spa or other heat as needed. Hopefully your symptoms aren't as severe, and rest and ice will help.

I love the look of the glassware. Perhaps if I have a larger kitchen one day, I can invest in some, but right now, since the kitchen is so small, it makes accidents more likely.

Reaction score
@Diane Lane, at least you seem to be dealing with your issues. I don't do much about mine. I hate meds and I take forever to go back to the doctor but I do have inflammatory issues as well. Even with the wrist, I procrastinate. The glass ware is nice to look at and easy to clean but I fear the chaos I could create with the breakage. Just like that I broke one of favourite glasses yesterday.

@gracer, the other day I broke a teacup I had for years. It was the handle that broke and I held on to it for a few months before I threw it out. I miss that cup and there isn't another I can find like it anywhere. I do get attached to some things.

Reaction score
I bake my banana bread in the glassware every time and all I do is lower the temp by 15 degrees and the timing remains the same. So far it's been flawless. I don't know I am clumsy, I am just always rushing. What are you doing about the wrist? I am having some concerns recently and I know it has to be about me being on the computer 23/7.

If you use Pyrex, you should not have breakage unless you drop it on the corner of the dish.

I've dropped mine, banged it, and even did something as stupid as put it on a live burner on the stove (I didn't know the stove was on, I must have hit the knob by mistake), and I've never had a problem with it. It's never chipped, cracked, or changed color. It did get really hot sitting on that live burner though.

Pyrex is formulated to respond to shock, such as dropping it on the floor. It is also formulated to take up to about 1,000 - 3,000 degrees temperatures without damage. And don't worry, baking rarely requires temperatures over 400 degrees. The most common temperature is 350 degrees or less.

If you are worried about glass, you can also get clay bakeware or even Corelle bakeware.
Corelle is thinner than Pyrex, and usually made to look like fine porcelain, but is actually made from the same types of materials that Pyrex is made of, just produced differently. Corelle also is long lasting and hard wearing.

If you REALLY have the big bucks to spend, you can look as some fine porcelain bakeware. I'ts light, long lasting, and hard wearing. The only problem with porcelain, is it is easily breakable.

If you are like me, and don't like to spend all that money on things like loaf pans, and save your money to spend on the more fancy stuff.....you can do what I do.....

I buy the cheap tin pans at the dollar stores. I only pay $1.00 for them, and they can last up to 20-30 loaves usually, and when they get to the point they are useless for baking, I buy another one for $1.00.

Reaction score
That is great news @ChesterV and it makes sense when you think about it. I have dropped the glass saucepan covers several times and they almost always survive. Maybe they are made of the same type glass? We have $3 stores around here the equivalent of your $1 store but I never see pans that are nice and I do keep looking. I have hardly seen any pans at all.

Reaction score
That is great news @ChesterV and it makes sense when you think about it. I have dropped the glass saucepan covers several times and they almost always survive. Maybe they are made of the same type glass? We have $3 stores around here the equivalent of your $1 store but I never see pans that are nice and I do keep looking. I have hardly seen any pans at all.

If you are using Pyrex cookware/bakeware, it depends on how old your piece is, what type it is, and where it was manufactured. Some Pyrex pieces have plain glass lids or tops, but are as thick as the Pyrex piece itself usually...which is a good thing.

Reaction score
If you are using Pyrex cookware/bakeware, it depends on how old your piece is, what type it is, and where it was manufactured. Some Pyrex pieces have plain glass lids or tops, but are as thick as the Pyrex piece itself usually...which is a good thing.
You are quite knowledgeable @ChesterV. You remind me of one of my friends who lives overseas. I am actually thinking of messaging him to ask him what yeast he uses with his dinner rolls. He does so much of his own baking and has always been my go to person if I have a pressing need for some kind of cooking or baking tip.

Ask a Question