Cakes undercooked in middle

Reaction score
Sorry - we mistakenly posted this question to the introduction forum.

Hi Forum members. Were are new members and looking for advice. Sorry if this is a common issue but we ask for your advice. We have a Thermador oven and all of our cakes or bread type dishes are browning too fast outside - while the inside is still slightly gooey. We are using conventional baking & not convection. W are using center rack position and are following recipes precisely. This has happened across several recipes.
We assume we should first get a good oven thermometer and check the temperature. We will do that soon. However, is it also reasonable to assume we could reduce the cooking temperature by 25 degrees (for example) and allow slower overall cooking? Were are generally dealing with cakes & breads that cook at or near 350 degrees. Our home is still only 6 months old so perhaps the oven is off by some.

Any thought would help.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @TexBaker :)

You are quite right - it sounds like your oven temperature is not accurate, so the best thing to do is to check it with a thermometer. Secondly, yes I agree that lowering the temperature by around 25 degrees would be a good idea - check on it once the cooking time has elapsed and leave it in for a little longer if needed.

Sorry - we mistakenly posted this question to the introduction forum.

I've removed that post for you ;)

Reaction score
Is this gas or electric? It makes a difference.

If its gas, then I would agree with Becky, lower the temperature. Gas cooks a lot faster than electric ovens.

If you are baking pastries, cakes, and breads, then you definitely want to use the convection setting.

Reaction score
Make sure your batter is at or close to room temp before popping into your preheated oven.
This I figured out on my own when I made banana cake the first time.
I freeze my bananas before using them to bake.....my first time I didn't think anything about using barely defrosted banana and cold eggs and milk.
That cake took forever to finish baking!!!!
I ended up making some holes by removing the nicely golden brown top crust and then stirred the still cool and runny batter a bit .
Thank the stars above for cream cheese icing lol!!

Huny

Reaction score
This is one of the common issue which happens to starters as well as experts (rarely).
First of all it happens mostly due to the oven temperature. The uneven temperature in the oven makes the sides to cook quickly leaving the middle portion uncooked. So as Becky said it is preferred to lower the oven temperature by 25 degree and cook it a bit longer.
Next thing which causes the middle portion uncooked may be the baking powder which you use. Check out the expiry date. If the expiry date is over, it will loose its effectiveness which may cause over rising, or uncooked texture.
Then check the recipe. Sometimes if you do not follow the recipe step by step, the ingredients may result in under cooking.

Reaction score
When the oven's heat is over the prescribed temperature, there is a tendency for the baked thing to be crusted outside but not cooked inside. We have noticed that when we are baking pudding. There was a time that the pudding was not cooked inside so we were not able to eat it. The problem was the position of the pie pan in the oven because our oven has no temperature setting so we just estimate the temperature with the racks. We lower the rack when we desire more heat and vice versa.

Ask a Question