Camp baking

Reaction score
I know it is a little early in the year to start thinking about summer activities like camping, but we were talking about it last night and I wondered if anyone on here bakes while they are camping. It is something I would like to try, but have no clue how to do it. Does anyone on here bake while they are camping? How do you do it and what tools do you bring along?

Reaction score
That's interesting that you should mention that- I've wondered as well, I have a lot of experience baking but I've never baked while camping...I wonder how that would work out? Hopefully someone here can shed a little light on it :).

Reaction score
I thought it would be a good idea since part of camping is enjoying outdoor food. I even heard of this new trend called "glamping" in which people go on glamorous camping trips.

Reaction score
I have gone camping before but have never done any baking; i am thinking since you'll be cooking outdoors you'd need to take some sort of coal pot to place your coals/logs to get your baking done...that's the only idea that seems logic to me.

Reaction score
I saw a blog where someone baked bread in a cast iron skillet over a fire. That's the only example I've seen of someone baking outdoors.

Reaction score
I have heard of baking in a cast iron pit before and I would really like to get one someday. The only time I really ever think about buying one is when I don't have money to make the purchase. You can make all sorts of breads and cakes in one of those I bet. I think the secret is getting the temperature high enough without burning what you are trying to make.

Ask a Question