Children's cookbooks

Reaction score
What are some nice children's baking cookbooks I can give as gifts?

When I was 9 or 10, my mother bought me a classic children's cookbook called The Cookie Book by Eva Moore.

41NCw0WLmDL._SX300_.jpg

It had 12 kid-friendly cookie recipes (with cute illustrations) -- one for a holiday in each month. The directions were easy to follow and the glossary explained baking terminology in clear language. To this day, I still make the Snicker Doodles (October), the Sugar Cookies - minus the food color (July), the Peanut Butter Cookies (May), and the Christmas Cookies.

I loved that book and was so proud to have my very own cookbook. Sadly, the book is long out of print and my copy has nearly disintegrated -- especially since my younger siblings often borrowed it to bake cookies too.

So, what children's cookbooks are popular now? I'd like to gift the little bakers in my extended family with kid-friendly classics of their very own.

Reaction score
Can't make any personal recommendations I'm afraid :( the book I had when I was younger was called 'The Weird and Wonderful Cookbook' and it had poems about monsters and witches and recipes to go with each one - I loved it! Doesn't look like it's in print any more though... I just tried searching for it on Amazon and it didn't come up, but in the list of suggestions there was a book called 25 Placenta Recipes!! :eek: Bleurgh.

Reaction score
I had the Betty Crocker cookbook for kids, and the recipe for butterscotch brownies was a hit at parties.

Reaction score
We have a few around here somewhere, but the only one I can see right now is an Angry Birds cookbook full of egg recipes LOL. So silly, but my son thought it was fun when he got it for Christmas last year from his grandmother.

Reaction score
I had the Betty Crocker cookbook and I got it for my daughter as well. Once a week or so I let her pick out a recipe and we make it together for dinner or a snack. She loves it.

Reaction score
Pamper Chef makes a really nice cook book for kids. The book in spiral bound so you can lay it flat. It is full of simple ,easy and fun recipes that children love. Best of all it is full of large colored photographs.

Reaction score
I wish I knew the name of the one I used as a kid. I got it at a book fair. It was all about Christmas cookie recipes; they were all easy and used common ingredients. My mom and I used it for years, but it's long gone now. I know it was really short and had a red cover.

Reaction score
The Do It Myself Kids' Cookbook by Laurie Goldrich Wolf.
cookbook.jpg

I bought this beginner's cookbook for a 4-year old daughter of a friend. She wanted to be more "grown-up" and be a "helper" but her mom got frustrated because she ended up making a mess or getting in the way. This book is cool because there's nothing that needs actual cooking, but it's a nice introduction to combining different foods in a meaningful way to "make" something new. It also has good ideas for lots of different foods, including breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert. :)

Reaction score
I will suggest you a few like Betty Crocker's 'Kids Cook', The Children's Baking Book, Kitchen for Kids and Fix it and Forget it – Kids cookbook.

upload_2014-5-6_13-14-42.png

Reaction score
I have the Berry Crocker kids cookbook, passed down from my mom from when she was a kid. I actually still use some of the recipes sometimes, they're fun and easy.

Reaction score
My daughter is only ten months old but I always dreamed of having a daughter to bake with and now I do! I think I'll go to amazon and check out the books mentioned here. It never occurred that there were books like those for kids! I know it's early but everyone says they grow up fast. So excited lol. Don't judge me, I'm a first time mom :)

Ask a Question