Chili Cheese Fries

Reaction score
Yesterday was National French Fry Day (yeah, I know, I never heard of it before, either), so I decided to celebrate by making chili cheese fries. It was a last minute decision, since I saw the numerous posts about the 'holiday' on Twitter, and I hadn't decided what to make for dinner before seeing them. For some reason, chili cheese fries popped into my head, which is kind of odd, since I don't eat them all that often.

I winged it, using frozen fries and canned chili, but I did shred my own cheese. I used a mixture of cheddar and pepper jack. All I had on hand was shoestring fries, and they came out just fine, and a basic can of Wolf Brand Texas Chili WITH beans. That's a big distinction, because many Texans don't think real chili should contain beans, but I think the more protein the better.

I baked the fries in the oven for longer than called for, then transferred them to my lovely bowl, topped them with the chili, then added the shredded cheese, before microwaving the whole thing for about a minute and a half. It was such a nice treat, and felt extra festive, since I was celebrating National French Fry Day. I have no idea how others make chili cheese fries, but I'll definitely make them again using this method.

Attachments

• Chili Cheese Fries.jpg
    Chili Cheese Fries.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 511
Reaction score
Well first off I am shocked and saddened to hear that I missed National French Fry Day. This is one holiday that I can certainly get behind, as it is probably one of my favorite foods, which might not be the best thing for me but oh well. This does look a little heavy, but delicious, so I am going to have to give them a shot, just maybe might need to prepare myself first. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Im sick and sad I missed French Fry Day too!!!

And chili cheese fries are my FAVORITE, next to garlic Parmesan fries!!!

And always topped with LOTS of onions!!!!

chili-cheese-fries.png

Reaction score
I didn't know about national French fry day, but I LOVE fries! I don't indulge too often just because I guess they're not the healthiest - but an occasional treat isn't bad! And chili cheese fries are the best!

Reaction score
I'm sure they're delicious with onions on top. I have issues with onions, so am limited in how and when I can use them, but I know that's something my dad would have been salivating over.

I had some cooked fries leftover, and didn't feel like cooking last night, so I made up another plate of them, but this time, since I had less fries and chili, I topped the whole pile with a fried egg. Totally delicious, and might be my new go to indulgence food.

Since y'all missed the 'holiday' and it's so close to the weekend, it would probably be appropriate to treat yourself to a heaping plate of whichever variety you enjoy most, this weekend.

Reaction score
Here in Korea where I migrated because I married a Korean we had no French Fry Day. But as we all knew Korean people likes spicy foods. My husband had lived for many years in a western country before we got married that is why his eating lifestyle had changed. I will surely try this chili cheese fries and I am sure he will like this one.

Reaction score
Here in Korea where I migrated because I married a Korean we had no French Fry Day. But as we all knew Korean people likes spicy foods. My husband had lived for many years in a western country before we got married that is why his eating lifestyle had changed. I will surely try this chili cheese fries and I am sure he will like this one.

Amy, I made them again the next day, and on the second day, I fried an egg and topped the chili cheese fries with it, and it was really delicious. I don't know if your husband would like that, but it sure was tasty. I don't eat these very often, or at least I haven't in the past, but after seeing how easy and delicious they are, I'll definitely make them again, and I'll probably put the egg on top every time.

Reaction score
Amy, I made them again the next day, and on the second day, I fried an egg and topped the chili cheese fries with it, and it was really delicious. I don't know if your husband would like that, but it sure was tasty. I don't eat these very often, or at least I haven't in the past, but after seeing how easy and delicious they are, I'll definitely make them again, and I'll probably put the egg on top every time.

Diane, I am sure my husband will really like this if I will put a fried egg on top of the chili cheese fries. Fried egg is one of his favorite thing to eat. Can't wait to try making this one. It is in my plan today which is Sunday because my husband had no work but we visited my sister in law who was in the hospital and I have no time to prepare this. Next weekend I will surely make this already. Again thanks for sharing :)

Reaction score
That's great, and to me, it makes it more of a complete meal, even though since it add more protein. Some people use chili without beans (Texas style), but I prefer mine with both beans and meat, and the egg on top really adds to the presentation. I hope your hubby enjoys it!

Reaction score
When we have "no care" for picking out a healthy dinner, we make this! I have made it on its own before (no sides or anything) but I used real, homemade chili. If I use canned chili then we usually make some kind of side with it. Its a huge hit in out house! Though, we wake up feeling groggy and regretful the next morning! lol

Reaction score
It looks like that chili cheese fries is almost the same as what my sister-in-law used to cook. We called it dynamite cheese. However, it is cooked like a spring roll with a wrapper where you enclose the cheese and the potato together with the green long pepper. After frying, there is a special dip to enhance the flavor. It was a long time ago since I last tasted it because my sister-in-law is now residing in Las Vegas for 5 years now.

Reaction score
When I saw the word "chili", I immediately opened the thread because I oh so love spicy food. There's something about chili that always makes my palate overactive every time I think about it. When there's chili on my food, I tend to eat more. This chili cheese fries that you shared is definitely an addition to my list. Thank you very much for sharing about it @Diane Lane. :)

Reaction score
This is an apology. Pardon me for misunderstanding the word chili. I only clearly understood this thread when I re-read it for the 3rd time. I have to admit that chili here is another word for pepper. And that photo posted by @ChesterV made it clearer for me. Now this realization that my husband loved chili beans and he sometimes cook that dish when our pepper plant has many fruits. And not to forget that his best bet for the chili is with a juicy hotdog.

Ask a Question