Chocolate Cake VS Vanilla Cake

Reaction score
A man and woman were having a heated discussion in front of the baking section of our local supermarket. I listened with interest, as it concerned cake, and cake just happens to be my favorite dessert. They were arguing over what cake flavor to buy they couldn't choose between chocolate and vanilla. Personally my favorite is vanilla. What's yours?

Reaction score
It's a tough call, but I'd probably go with chocolate - especially if it's got loads of fudgey frosting! I do love vanilla as well though, and it's much more versatile - personally I think chocolate cake topped with anything other than chocolate frosting is just wrong. Don't know why I think this though! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
I would have to go with a moist chocolate chocolate cake. Not a fake chocolate cake where they just put in 2 tablespoons of cocoa in a vanilla cake mix.

Actually chocolate cake with fresh cream is good.
Or layers of chocolate cake, berries, syrup and fresh cream, pretty good. What's it called again? Black Forest cake. Hmm . I am getting hungry.

Reaction score
I like yellow cake with chocolate frosting or devil's food cake.
If I had to pick one, I guess I'd go for the devil's food cake.

Reaction score
Chocolate cake for sure! Warmed a little with chocolate sauce and vanilla ice ream. I also love chocolate cake with raspberries and strawberries.
Come to think of it, I've never actually baked my own chocolate cake.. just eaten what others have baked for me or that I've ordered in restaurants.

Reaction score
That is hands down chocolate for me. I do so love chocolate on chocolate! I really want one right now. Hubby and I always go through this as well. He would rather have vanilla and I am just addicted to chocolate.

Reaction score
Depends on what mood i'm in, but i think if i was given the choice of both right now, i'd definitely go for chocolate!

Reaction score
As much as I LOVE chocolate I think I would rather have vanilla cake with chocolate frosting. I think vanilla makes it easier to use other kinds of frosting to shake things up! :). Of course, if the chocolate cake was moist and had lots of frosting I would be all in!

Reaction score
Although I love chocolate I'd rather have vanilla. Vanilla cake is fluffier where as chocolate has a heavy feel to it. I tend to lean towards lighter deserts. Also, I have an affinity for the bitter notes in chocolate that are overpowered by sugar in cake and frosting.

Reaction score
I like both. Hard to choose. Can we do one layer in vanilla and one in chocolate? It seems like a good compromise to me! ;)

Okay, okay... If I REALLY had to make a choice, I think I would have to say.... chocolate! Let's do chocolate with a nice chocolate frosting.

Reaction score
I like both. But the great thing is you can have both. When I am severely crushed for time, I have in the past ordered a birthday cake instead of baking one. Yes, I know, horrible of me. But because people tend to have different favorites I get half vanilla and half chocolate then just pick icing and decoration theme. No sense in arguing, cause everyone likes their own flavors .

Reaction score
I LOVE chocolate cake! Its so dense and moist and YUM. Vanilla cake tends to be way too surgary for my tastes, and the vanilla flavor tends to taste fake. Homemade vanilla cake isn't nearly so bad as the ones you buy from the store, but I've had yet to have a bad chocolate cake. Even the cheap birthday cakes people buy from the store don't taste bad if you get chocolate ones.

Reaction score
Vanilla cake with chocolate frosting is how my family had settled the debate! It was totally worth it! Chocolate cake is just too rich or too sweet for some people, and vanilla is an excellent alternative.

Reaction score
I love chocolate but I can't have it. I would usually buy a vanilla cake mix with chocolate frosting. For some reason I do not like chocolate cake. I do like the chocolate frosting. Now I am stuck with buying something different because I can't have chocolate. It really is a big bummer to me. Recently I went to a birthday party and my brother-in-law made a very interesting cake. He had a two layer cake, the bottom layer was red velvet and the top layer was strawberry. In between the layers he put caramel frosting and on the top of the cake he used strawberry frosting. To my surprise it was really good.

Reaction score
I love chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and you could even drizzle hot fudge over it (or in it like the molten cakes) but I equally love a vanilla cake with buttercream frosting. Weird thing is I don't like them mixed...all chocolate or all vanilla and I am very satisfied.

Reaction score
I LOVE chocolate cake....YUMMY. It has to be chocolate all the way through though! The cake mix and the icing, etc. My grandma makes a 7 layer chocolate cake and its okay but not crazy about the "yellow" cake. It's basically just a yellow cake with chocolate icing in between all the layers and chocolate icing on top of course. It's pretty but I love for the entire cake to be chocolate!

Reaction score
Chocolate cake is the best in my opinion. I love chocolate cake with good chocolate frosting. Mmmmm yummy. I like vanilla as well but chocolate is my favorite. My older sister makes a really good vanilla cake but my twin sister makes the best Mahogany Pound Cake I have ever tasted.

Reaction score
They are both so yummy! A lot of times, people say just do a half and half cake. However, personally, I'm not a big fan of a half and half (chocolate and vanilla) cake together. I like them both separately but it does depend on what type of mood I'm in too!

Reaction score
Half and half sounds good. I would like to make a cake that is half chocolate and half vanilla. That would be tasty.

Reaction score
Chocolate cake! With German Chocolate frosting if at all possible... mmm... Although, I love all types of cake, and sometimes prefer vanilla, but today chocolate suits my mood. And now I'm hungry. ;)

Ask a Question