Christmas Traditions

Reaction score
What are some of your favorite family Christmas traditions? We always get our tree up and decorated the weekend after Thanksgiving, and then I fill my house with wonderful baked smells. We used to drive around and look at lights, but it seems as people in my area don't decorate like they used to.

Reaction score
My fiancé and I like to make gingerbread houses from scratch :) It's a lot of work but it's so much fun! We also like to go to this park lighting thing in his hometown, and we recently started going to a lighted boat parade (which will definitely be a tradition from now on).

Reaction score
Our most cherished Christmas tradition as a family is the Christmas picture. Every year, our family poses in the living room with our decorated and lighted Christmas tree. We've been doing this since my youngest child was born - in 2001.

Also, every year I make a slideshow video of these pictures. This year's slideshow would be the shortest, but displaying 14 Christmases. The video is only 1 minute long.

You can see the video here: Christmas Family Slideshow Video - 2014

Reaction score
Making gingerbread houses is always fun, especially if it is with the one you love the most. My son and I are in the middle of making a Christmas house out of cardboard right now and it is a lot of work. I love it when he gets creative though, so I am embracing it.

Reaction score
We go to Christmas Eve church, and then get Chinese food and drive around and look at lights. I agree - it seems that people don't decorate like they used to. We started doing Chinese because it was the only place open on Christmas eve. Now my kids wouldn't have it any other way!

Reaction score
My daughter and I had a Christmas tradition of watching a different Christmas movie every night from Thanksgiving until Christmas but our plans got ruined this year because we lost our apartment two weeks ago due to a rent increase. Hopefully ,we'll have a more traditional and stable Christmas next year.
Right now we're uncomfortably staying with relatives who don't like us very much.

Reaction score
My daughter and I had a Christmas tradition of watching a different Christmas movie every night from Thanksgiving until Christmas but our plans got ruined this year because we lost our apartment two weeks ago due to a rent increase. Hopefully ,we'll have a more traditional and stable Christmas next year.
Right now we're uncomfortably staying with relatives who don't like us very much.

:( so sorry to hear that!!! :( I hope you find a place soon. And praying that even under these circumstances that you will have a very blessed and Merry Christmas! Hugs to you and your daughter. :)

Reaction score
:( so sorry to hear that!!! :( I hope you find a place soon. And praying that even under these circumstances that you will have a very blessed and Merry Christmas! Hugs to you and your daughter. :)
Thank you, but I'm worried because my ex is using the fact that I lost my apartment as an excuse to try and get custody of my daughter. He wanted her all along and was probably waiting for me to fail.

Reaction score
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. :( I will continue to pray for you. I hope all goes well. Bless your heart.

Reaction score
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. :( I will continue to pray for you. I hope all goes well. Bless your heart.
I appreciate the prayers. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and believe that things will work out.

Reaction score

I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances too. Sending you positive vibes for a new and better (yet affordable) new place to stay.

My family traditions have all falling by the wayside. We don't do any of the things that we did when I was a kid. I suppose it's to be expected as you get older. I haven't created any traditions for myself. Next year I'm going to start creating my own traditions. I am very low key, but I would really love a real Christmas tree. I love the smell of pine.

Reaction score
My family and i always decorate the tree after thanksgiving, and for Christmas we put little gifts in the socks, and those we open on Christmas eve and then we eat breakfast Christmas morning, and then open gifts at around 3 in the day when dinner is finally ready.

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances too. Sending you positive vibes for a new and better (yet affordable) new place to stay.

My family traditions have all falling by the wayside. We don't do any of the things that we did when I was a kid. I suppose it's to be expected as you get older. I haven't created any traditions for myself. Next year I'm going to start creating my own traditions. I am very low key, but I would really love a real Christmas tree. I love the smell of pine.
Thank you for the positive thoughts and wishes. I feel like I've lost everything and I'm just trying to keep it together.

Reaction score
Have you managed to find a new house yet ACSAPA? My thoughts and prayers are with you. Christmas is the worst time to have to start all over again. I hope that 2015 brings you much joy and happiness!

Ask a Question