Cookie disaster?

Reaction score
I don't know how to feel. I don't know if it's the recipe or me. I am just through finishing a 3 ingredient cookie and I don't know if it's a disaster or not. I am not cookie maker, but it's nothing like the last one I made which I will now confess was a mix. I am here nervously waiting to see what the others will say. If my husband and son won't eat it I'll know it's a disaster. The thing is the recipe says it's he easiest cookie you'll ever make. If it was a disaster, then I should quit baking. Have a look and tell me if this could ever go wrong. Hopefully, I am overreacting.

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1048221/3-ingredient-nutella-cookie-recipe

Reaction score
Oh my! What happened? Did your husband and kid like it or not? Man, so sorry to hear you might quit baking, please don't give up! I made a lot horrendous baking mistakes when I just started out! Even now my cookie making skills aren't that great, lol. Cookies are hard to get right for most, it took me so many tries to get edible cookies!

Reaction score
Oh my! What happened? Did your husband and kid like it or not? Man, so sorry to hear you might quit baking, please don't give up! I made a lot horrendous baking mistakes when I just started out! Even now my cookie making skills aren't that great, lol. Cookies are hard to get right for most, it took me so many tries to get edible cookies!

Well you are not going to believe this. While I was ending my post my husband had one and he said it was very good. I could not believe it. But wait. Because I thought they were a disaster I had stuck some back in the oven and forgot to pull them out right away. BIG MISTAKE. That batch was too hard. Turns out I was too hasty and the original batch was fine. No word from my son yet but think I get how cookies work now. There are some tricky "fellows". I won't quit. I just like close to perfection when I am in the kitchen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cookies are for me always a juggle; I may get them perfect this time, and then produce some half-baked ones the next time. However, the ease of making them and the variety in which I can make in one go (i.e shapes, flavours and sizes) really amazes me and keeps it exciting. And with cookies, you can never go too wrong. At least compared to cakes.

Reaction score
Well you are not going to believe this. While I was ending my post my husband had one and he said it was very good. I could not believe it. But wait. Because I thought they were a disaster I had stuck some back in the oven and forgot to pull them out right away. BIG MISTAKE. That batch was too hard. Turns out I was too hasty and the original batch was fine. No word from my son yet but think I get how cookies work now. There are some tricky "fellows". I won't quit. I just like close to perfection when I am in the kitchen.

Yaaaay for the hubby liking them :D I'm glad to hear they turned out fine! Glad to hear you will continue baking, you sounded really down! I thought something like: ''mmm, but she will miss the experience of making her own cookies :(''. By the way, I don't like commercial made cookies that much, because I really don't know what they put into them and that is why I like to make my own. Plus... nothing beats homemade ;D What about you?

Reaction score
Cookies are for me always a juggle; I may get them perfect this time, and then produce some half-baked ones the next time. However, the ease of making them and the variety in which I can make in one go (i.e shapes, flavours and sizes) really amazes me and keeps it exciting. And with cookies, you can never go too wrong. At least compared to cakes.

I know what you mean! There is a biscuit recipe I keep trying and trying, sometimes the result is very good, but most of the times I have troubles telling when they're ready, lol. Mostly because I am using a very old oven with no numbers on it! I know it sounds crazy, but I do! LOL. So most of the time I am just guessing how high it really is, but I keep on trying baking other cookies, because as you said... so many awesome things we can make on our own! Plus is way healthier than those cancer-in a box cookies they sell at the grocery store.

Reaction score
Looking at that recipe I was thinking it might be a sticky mess and say to sweet. Glad they liked them. What puzzles me is there is. I baking soda, nothing to make them rise a little.

Reaction score
xa
Looking at that recipe I was thinking it might be a sticky mess and say to sweet. Glad they liked them. What puzzles me is there is. I baking soda, nothing to make them rise a little.

That's what had me as well. When I was through mixing I was thinking that something was not right about this mixture newbie or not. I was tempted to add some other stuff but I said I was going to stick to the recipe.

About them being sweet. I thought the same thing but the first comment my husband made was that they were not as sweet as the chocolate chip ones I had made previously. I must confess I am still not very happy, but since no one complained I am going to remain quiet
and go for another recipe. I am hoping to post something I am proud of.

Reaction score
Yaaaay for the hubby liking them :D I'm glad to hear they turned out fine! Glad to hear you will continue baking, you sounded really down! I thought something like: ''mmm, but she will miss the experience of making her own cookies :(''.

Trellum, I felt like crying. I hate to fail especially in the kitchen. I felt like quitting but I knew I would bounce back. As much as I should stay away from the sweets, I am not going to rest until I have perfected a cookie. I am very relieved to know that other more experienced bakers have had some hits and misses with the cookies . Like I said earlier I think I am understanding how they work. Baking is a real science I think. No, I am sure. Trellum thanks for rooting for me as usual.

Reaction score
No problem :) I also dislike to fail, specially in the kitchen, knowing others will be eating what I just made, hehehe! Specially when you are cooking for someone new... phew! But glad to hear you are stronger than ever :) By the way.... what kind of cookies were you making? =D

Reaction score
No problem :) I also dislike to fail, specially in the kitchen, knowing others will be eating what I just made, hehehe! Specially when you are cooking for someone new... phew! But glad to hear you are stronger than ever :) By the way.... what kind of cookies were you making? =D

I was making the cookie in the link of my post. As usual I was looking for something quick and easy. The first time out I tried a two ingredient cookie. I cheated with that and that was a disaster of sorts, but everything I read in connection with that suggested it was not likely to be any good with the two ingredients. So "Miss Want the easiest Recipe" decides to try a three ingredient cookie. Would you believe I am now looking for a "four ingredient" cooking? I guess I am back to learning to count:). Here's the recipe again. Tell me if you think you could mess this one up or even if it's practical.

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1048221/3-ingredient-nutella-cookie-recipe

Reaction score
Hehehe! Cool recipe! Sounds so easy, but in my experience even the easiest looking recipes can go wrong D: Don't ask me how I messed up my first 4 ingredient cheese pie D:! LOL. This recipe sounds good :) I'm guessing the texture of this cookie is supposed to be chewy? Yummy!

I can see several factors that could influence this cookie or other cookies to go wrong tho, like for example how large is a large egg to some people (we all have our own definitions). Then the quality of flour used (in my experience the quality of certain ingredients really matter!). The third thing that worries me when trying a new recipe is the altitude factor, because some recipes are tailored for a certain altitude. In my country, for example, you need to make several adjustments to cookie and bread recipes according to your altitude, because it varies a lot even inside the country! It can be so confusing D:

By the way, you made me soooooo curious! How did you cheat when tried that two ingredient cookie?!? So curious about that one! And, hehhe, when you less expect it you'll be trying a 6 ingredient cookie ;)

Reaction score
By the way, you made me soooooo curious! How did you cheat when tried that two ingredient cookie?!? So curious about that one! And, hehhe, when you less expect it you'll be trying a 6 ingredient cookie ;)

My cheating was simple. I just felt like it was impossible for this two ingredient recipe to be any good so I dumped in some other stuff that wasn't called for. So instead of a two ingredient cookie mine ended up as maybe a four ingredient. Long and "short" of the situation is that I am also looking for a quick fix. Next cookie will call for six:). Maybe that will be the clincher. Have a look at the cookie. Don't try it:).

http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/201...ead-breakfast-cookies-with-delicious-add-ins/

Reaction score
Oh, now I see why you decided to give it a try... those cookies look and sound like a wonderful little snack! Plus at 60 calories per cookie, I'd say it's not bad at all =D

Reaction score
Oh, now I see why you decided to give it a try... those cookies look and sound like a wonderful little snack! Plus at 60 calories per cookie, I'd say it's not bad at all =D

If I had preached the health benefits, it might have gone down better with the "crowd". This one got the thumbs down and between me and my pets we consumed what we could. They were not thrilled but I imagine so as not to hurt my feelings they tried to work with me. I think they had some potential but the recipe needed more than two ingredients.

Reaction score
hehehe! I remember my first batch of cookies, I added too much butter, and well the ''cookies'' expanded over the baking sheet... they looked like greasy tortillas :oops::D:p:confused: I couldn't eat them :p The dog could barely eat them, but my loyal doggie did in the end, because he liked the butter. Actually the taste was good, but they were so flat and soft! LOL.

Reaction score
It took me a lot of attempts to get cookies 'right', so don't give up! I'm glad to hear they were a hit with hubby.

The thing with baking is you can put too much pressure on yourself to get everything perfect - especially not when you're new to baking. Just remember that we've all had mishaps and everything else, and, well someone usually eats my disasters!!!

Keep at it. :):);)

Reaction score
It's very, very comforting to know that others have had some challenges. If it's only you, you start to doubt your ability and want to throw in the towel. Thanks for the reminders that even the better bakers don't always get it right. I can tell if we had to start the "disaster cookie club" we might get a reasonable amount of members:).

Reaction score
Huh, three ingredients look too good to be true. I would actually not want to try it, just imagining a mix of Nutella, flour and egg sounds not like a treat to me...! I'd take a good recipe of chocolate chips cookie any day instead. XD If it falls apart or be undercooked or anything, you can still mix it in with ice cream, yumm.

And don't worry, it does not say anything about your baking talents. My mom is good at baking and cooking, but anything that is supposed to be "simple", she just dislikes/is bored by/ it does not end too well. So there's that.

Ask a Question