Corn bread - do you prefer it savory or sweet?

Reaction score
I prefer a savory cornbread. Hot water cornbread is my favorite, I can eat sweet cornbread with a bowl of chili or bean soup. They help to offset the sweetness.

I do like to add sweet corn to my cornbread. It makes it moist without adding any additional sweetness.

Reaction score
I have always opted for having my cornbread savory ; and having it hot with a nice chunk of cheese definitely makes me happy on any given day.

Reaction score
I admit, I just use the recipe on the container of cornmeal. It is a favorite for my whole family so I never thought to add different ingredients. I did however substitute unsweetened applesauce for the milk (and adding a couple tbsp of water). So, I would say our corn bread is the sweet variety. I like the idea of adding cheese and red peppers. Yum!

Reaction score
Cornbread and I don't really like each other well. I do eat it on rare occasions though. I've eaten both the sweet and the savory. I can't say I really have a preference. What I've found I don't like though is when the meal to flour ratio is mostly meal. I think that's why I don't really care for cornbread in the first place.

Reaction score
I love sweet corn bread! I like to put maple syrup and butter on mine! Oh yum! Now my mouth is watering!

My grandmother used to make a "dessert" version of cornbread, which was sweet like corn muffins. She would eat it with pudding and cream.

I generally prefer the unsweetened cornbread with a meal, but on its own I can eat the sweet kind with some butter.

Reaction score
I definitely prefer savoury cornbread bread. I can't stand the trends towards making everything sweeter.

I just love dipping it into a wonderful stew or soup or even a casserole to mop up the liquid.

Reaction score
why can't it be savory AND sweet? We have sweet cornbread here that goes well with any chili (especially venison chili) but it's also sweet and falls apart in your mouth/hand. That is the true cornbread. That, some sour cream for the chili or shredded cheese and you've got an excellent meal.

Reaction score
When I make it I just omit the sugar. Corn is one of the highest sugar containing grains already, I don't think it needs any help. I like to add butter though to make it richer. I often do not put butter on top on the corn bread when I eat it, I like to have it baked in so it comes out of the oven perfect and ready to just cut and eat all by itself.

Reaction score
That sounds really good too! I've never made mine from scratch. I always use
the mix - either Famous Dave's or Costco usually has a mix in the colder months.
It is so good and I've yet to find a recipe that tastes as good as what the mixes
make! :)

Reaction score
Actually, I like them both. Together even, sometimes.

For "plain" cornbread, I add one can of creamed corn, and 2 tablespoons of honey.

I love broccoli/cheese cornbread, which I will also add some honey, garlic, and onion to.

I will also add some honey to chili/cheese cornbread, jalapeno/cheese cornbread, and onion/sour cream cornbread!!

Reaction score
I like mine a combination with a little sweet and a little salty flavor. I'm the sort who also loves salty caramel chocolate and other combination flavors like that, and this way I only have to make one batch at a time.

Ask a Question