Crispy Rice Squares

Reaction score
I just love these! They taste good and they are quick and easy to make. Hope you like them too. :)

3 teaspoons butter
10 oz (about 40) marshmallows
6 cups Crispy Rice Cereal

Stir in ideas: Mix one or more of the following into the melted marshmallow mix before adding cereal:
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup raisins and 1/2 cup peanuts
1/2 cup sprinkles

Liberally grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with butter. In a large pot, melt butter and marshmallows over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in cereal. Spread into prepared pan. Cool completely, and then cut into squares. Makes about 12 squares.

Reaction score
I used to make these all of the time when my kids were small. They liked crushed peppermints in theirs. They also were big fans of cranberries and any kind of nuts. I also would put cocoa powder in the marshmallows as they melted. I would sometimes use cookie cutters to make shapes that matched the holiday that was closest and of course, there was not a problem when it came to the trimmings from the treats!

Reaction score
I used to make these all of the time when my kids were small. They liked crushed peppermints in theirs. They also were big fans of cranberries and any kind of nuts. I also would put cocoa powder in the marshmallows as they melted. I would sometimes use cookie cutters to make shapes that matched the holiday that was closest and of course, there was not a problem when it came to the trimmings from the treats!
We call them Rice Crispy Treats....and I always add some kind of nut to mine

Reaction score
I just love these! They taste good and they are quick and easy to make. Hope you like them too. :)

3 teaspoons butter
10 oz (about 40) marshmallows
6 cups Crispy Rice Cereal

Stir in ideas: Mix one or more of the following into the melted marshmallow mix before adding cereal:
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup raisins and 1/2 cup peanuts
1/2 cup sprinkles

Liberally grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with butter. In a large pot, melt butter and marshmallows over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in cereal. Spread into prepared pan. Cool completely, and then cut into squares. Makes about 12 squares.

I like the stir in ideas to these - particularly the peanut butter. I'm a big fan of peanut butter! Adding raisins and peanuts will make it seem almost like a variation on rocky road - can't wait to give it a go.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Reaction score
My kids and I love Rice Krispy treats!! We have also made these with all different types of cereals and they are just as good. We add nuts and/or sprinkles or some type of flavored chips to ours also.

Reaction score
Honestly the only time I remember making rice crispy squares is when I was VERY little at a day-care. I haven't made it since because it's not usually my go-to dessert (I'd rather have a cookie or a pastry or something). I'll have to try this out though eventually! It'll be good to pack these for my boyfriend's lunches :)

Reaction score
We also call them rice crispy treats at my house. My mother in law makes them all the times and gives us batches...to the point where we get sick of them :). She puts sprinkles on top of hers, but the peanut butter idea sounds very yummy. I would also like them with peanut butter chips or chocolate chips.

Reaction score
I have had the ones with peanutbutter I prefer the marshmallow. Using peanutbutter takes away that ooey gooey softness that you get from marshmallows. The peanutbutter makes them kind of hard and crunchy. For me this is not the right texture of rice crispy treat.

Ask a Question