Dangerous mistakes to avoid

Reaction score
I found some pans I had for probably more than twenty years and they were full of rust. I pulled them out to throw out and then decided to search the web to see if rust could be successfully removed. I saw some interesting suggestions but also stumbled on some dangerous mistakes we could be making when baking. I hate to introduce the subject of dangers but I feel obliged to share.

http://www.rodalenews.com/holiday-baking

Reaction score
It is important to know the dangers associated with rusty bake ware so that nobody gets sick, especially if you plan to give away your baked items. When my bake ware gets rusty, I throw it away as well. Do not want to take any chances. It's much better just to spend the money and get new stuff and keep everyone healthy.

Reaction score
Actually, the rust is no longer my big concern, it's the other stuff that concerns me. The non stick pans etc. Lots of what I read suggest the pans can be cleaned. I'm not sure about mine though. These three are really bad. Have a look at this video.

Reaction score
Also, those "Carbon" blackened baking pans MAY add flavors, but they can also add unwanted results as well. Like when they say the older pans "add flavor" when baking - it's true, but that flavor may not always turn out to be good!

Reaction score
Geez, I swear, most of people who talk about how this and that product have been "linked to X and Y", I'm pretty sure they either have no real clue about the studies they refer to, or they do get the implications of "linked with" but are trying to make their articles more punchy by making it seem like a very big deal that is a Big News!

Seriously. Stuff like artificial coloring can be linked with cancer if at X quantity they show it has an effect on rats ingesting it and can them demonstrate some sort of correlation and usually, if a chemical has an effect at X dosage on rats, it will take a much much much higher dosage on humans (hence regulations etc) but a lot of the time, it would be impossible to ingest enough that it would have any effect. Hence why it is still sold. But people like to make a fuss about it and make it look like a big deal. It gets people talking and linking.

(and sure enough they are also the kind of authors who talk about "Superfood!" because, hey, buzzwords are buzzwords)

Good catch on the rust, though. Equipment should always be checked well because of possible rot/mold/etc!

Reaction score
my mom always throws away the bake ware when rust is there.

Reaction score
I honestly wondered if I should post the article when I came upon it, but once I read it I felt compelled to share the information. Like someone suggested earlier you really have to take some of the things you read online with a "pinch of salt". Too much information can sometimes "ruin your appetite". I hope I have not done that here. We have cakes to bake!!!!

Reaction score
I won't use nonstick anything. Growing up my family had a couple of nonstick frying pans that were used all the time, and we didn't know how bad it was once they get a scratch, so they did not get thrown away until way after they should have been. I don't even want to think what has happened to me as a result, Even though I have stopped, I will probably suffer some serious consequences down the road as a result.

Reaction score
Baking and the materials you use to make it with, as well as any pans and stuff should be looked thoroughly after every year or 2 years. My family has always had the habit of looking through everything after a year. If it's an ingredient, it would be after about 6 months to 12 months to see if it's expired or gone bad or anything (this is only for dry ingredients). For bakeware like pans and stuff like that, I usually check every 2 years for rust or something like that. If it looks like it's old, or time to be replaced, I usually just toss it out or donate it and then go out and buy some more :)

Reaction score
Awesome list, something to think about next time I bake. I'll take those tips into consideration, I'm actually glad I have never baked anything in non stick molds... those looks so dangerous! I stopped using the non stick pans a long time ago as well.

Ask a Question