differrence in breads made from same dough

vtr

Reaction score
Few days I made two breads from the same dough. Only difference was that they were baked one after another i.e around 25 minutes time gap. However, look and feel of both breads was different. Second bread was smoother and softer, sliced easily. First bread when sliced produced lot of crumbs. Also slices was breaking in pieces. What could be the reason for this when both were made from the same dough?

Reaction score
Was it a yeast dough? If this is the case then the 2nd dough had more time to rise and take on a better shape than the first dough.

Reaction score
I agree with Tina, I think you didn't give the first bread the chance to raise properly, I always like to let the dough rest for a bit before working it. That way I make sure it rises.

Reaction score
Okay, there are a couple of different causes. If your dough was sitting on the counter, the waiting loaves were getting plenty more time for their final rise, possibly turning out better or getting too much time and overproofing.

I assume the waiting dough was covered so that drying out did not become a factor in the baking results.

If your dough was sitting in the fridge, then 25 minutes or even a couple of hours difference in baking commencement should not have made much or any difference. However, a 12 or 24-hour difference would mean a more mature, perhaps more sour, better fermented, dough for the loaves baked later.

Reaction score
Yes it is true the yeast in your dough and their rising time is the reason for the difference in texture of the two breads you had made in the same dough.

Reaction score
Timing can vary widely depending on temperature and humidity. The last few days I have made breads that have taken a really long time (more than two days) to rise because much of the time they were in a cold room or the fridge. Now waiting to wait for a beer bread dough to rise (60 percent whole wheat), but it is taking forever and I'm starting to think I missed on this one. Still, a few more hours might surprise me. It has happened before.

Ask a Question