Do brown eggs change the flavor of a baked good?

Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but I have been wondering if brown eggs change the taste of a baked good? To date, I have only used the traditional white egg. Mostly I purchase the usual medium grade AA. However, I have thought about getting brown eggs because they're supposed to be better for you, but I am little afraid.

Egg_Fact_Shell_Color.png

Reaction score
Same taste, but to get the best flavor of all use fresh eggs from happy wandering hens. The yolks are nearly orange! And they came in the most beautiful shades of watercolor blue, green, tan, speckled...
Check your local Craigslist...someone probably sells them.

Reaction score
Unless it was a rotten egg, I really wouldn't worry. It can't change the flavor of a baked good so much that a baked good tastes bad! It's like like mistaking salt for sugar, or baking powder for baking soda. Those would make a baked good taste bad. Even the most sensitive of palates, I think, would just have a preference rather than an aversion. Nothing to be scared of, is basically what I'm saying. Flavor-wise, an egg is an egg is an egg.

Reaction score
Brown and white eggs taste exactly the same. The difference is only cosmetic. I have used both and it has no effect on taste.

Reaction score
Eggs are eggs! I have chickens and their eggs come in so many colors. Some are even green or blue. I wouldn't be worried.

Reaction score
I have used both brown and white eggs when baking and i can't say i noticed any changes in the way the products tasted; i think they're just the same.

Reaction score
I have used eggs in all sorts of colors in my baked goods and there are no difference in taste. They do the job just as the white egg does. I wouldn't stress over the shell color.

Reaction score
I always wondered if brown eggs tasted different, good question to present. I thought brown would taste more earthy fir some reason because of the color. Is there more of a health benefit either way?

Reaction score
My grandma was actually asking me the same thing- the brown made her a little nervous that it would taste odd, there is no taste difference at all! If you didn't see the person making it with the brown eggs, you wouldn't even know the difference.

Reaction score
I always wondered if brown eggs tasted different, good question to present. I thought brown would taste more earthy fir some reason because of the color. Is there more of a health benefit either way?

The brown eggs are supposed to be better for you.

Reaction score
I think the taste difference lies in how the chickens are raised and not in the color of the egg shell. If they are kept inside and fed only grain then they have a lighter taste and the yolk is not as dark. If they are free range chickens (allowed to wonder and eat grass, scraps etc.) then the eggs have a much richer flavor and the yolks are a dark yellow. Free range is the best way to go in my opinion!

Reaction score
I think the taste difference lies in how the chickens are raised and not in the color of the egg shell. If they are kept inside and fed only grain then they have a lighter taste and the yolk is not as dark. If they are free range chickens (allowed to wonder and eat grass, scraps etc.) then the eggs have a much richer flavor and the yolks are a dark yellow. Free range is the best way to go in my opinion!

That's a good point as well- the environment for the chickens can definitely make a difference, far more than what colour the eggs are.

Ask a Question