Do You Have Any Secret Recipes?

Reaction score
For the most part I love sharing recipes, and trying out different people's interpretations of old favourites.
That being said, I have a couple recipes that I keep top secret.
One of those is my great-grandmother's upside down cake recipe. It's something I grew up eating and it's a really special dish to me, so I make it frequently to bring to potlucks or dinners with my in-laws.
People love it, it always gets devoured, and I like feeling like I'm sharing a bit of my heritage even if I won't give away any details on how to cook it.
That's one recipe that I try to keep among the women in my family for now. One day I'll probably pass it down to my niece or nephew if either of them shows an interest in baking.
My other secret recipe is for peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.
This one started from a basic recipe out of one of my mom's old cookbooks, and over the years I've tweaked it and done some substitutions and changed the amounts around until I've come up with my own version.
I'm terrible at developing my own recipes, so I'm really proud of those cookies!
What are your secret recipes? Why are they secret?

Reaction score
I think I am probably one of the few people that doesn't have secret recipes. I enjoy sharing things with people, and if someone asks me for the recipe from something I have made I'm always flattered to pass it onto them.

I know plenty of people that have secret recipes though - a colleague of my husband's made an amazing pumpkin and chocolate chip bread once, and I asked for the recipe...and she said she couldn't share it! I was so disappointed!

Reaction score
I have a ''secret'' recipe, but it's still secret because I am way too lazy to translate it so I can post it here... it's a very good recipe for a apple pie with a twist. It's rather nice. I've never been a big fan of baked apples, but this pie is one of the best ones I have eaten, it's a family recipe.

Reaction score
I know plenty of people that have secret recipes though - a colleague of my husband's made an amazing pumpkin and chocolate chip bread once, and I asked for the recipe...and she said she couldn't share it! I was so disappointed!

I honestly loathe people like that >_< I hate it when you arm up with the courage to ask for the recipe to that person and then they have the nerve to say no. It hasn't really happened to me yet, but I have been asked before for a recipe and I also feel so flattered that I pass it to them. It's the nice polite thing to do. It's actually rude to do what that coworker did to you :( The nerve of some people! Try doing that to her when she asks for a recipe :D

Reaction score
I came see what secrets I could get as I have none and maybe if I did, I would be excited to tell....

That situation with Cupcake being told that would most surely upset me. I am sorry. I can deal with that kind of selfishness. Some people think it is okay..I don't

Reaction score
I honestly loathe people like that >_< I hate it when you arm up with the courage to ask for the recipe to that person and then they have the nerve to say no. It hasn't really happened to me yet, but I have been asked before for a recipe and I also feel so flattered that I pass it to them. It's the nice polite thing to do. It's actually rude to do what that coworker did to you :( The nerve of some people! Try doing that to her when she asks for a recipe :D

Yes I would have thought it would have been the ultimate compliment when someone wants a recipe of yours! I think sharing is caring - just means more people can enjoy it!

Reaction score
Yes I would have thought it would have been the ultimate compliment when someone wants a recipe of yours! I think sharing is caring - just means more people can enjoy it!

Yeah, it's a HUGE compliment and the worst think someone can ever do is deny to share it. The people who won't share their recipes strike me as envious and selfish :confused:

Reaction score
I don't have a secret recipe exactly but if you were to ask my partner he'd say I do. Of the two he's been cooking the longest and for some reason there are some things he tries and can't seem to get right. LOL I explain how to make it to him, I show him, but for some reason he can't get it. For example, my pasta cheese sauce. It ALWAYS fails him. LOL

Ask a Question