Do You Still Buy Recipe Books?

Reaction score
Recipes books are sort of fascinating in this era.

In a way, it feels like the need for them tends to disappear, as the Internet provides a ton of recipes and food blogs accessible for free with many reviews of how easy the recipe was to make, and how tasty it turned out.

On the other hand -- if you take a look at the book industry and at how bookstores are holding up, they'll tell you that recipe books are a big seller and many times, upholding the profits. Especially true for niches and celebrities making cooking books.

What about you? Do you buy recipe books? What would be the criteria to encourage you to buy one? How useful are they vs internet recipes?

Reaction score
I don't buy them anymore. I used to get them all the time. But, I found that I didn't use them. So, for me, it was a waste of money.
Since I started using Pinterest, if I like a recipe, I pin it and then have it available whenever on my iPad. I like it a lot better. Takes up less space and they are literally at my finger tip. :)

Reaction score
I still have some recipe magazines I bought two years ago or so, but to be honest buying recipe books is no longer necessary, not with all those free recipes you can find online. If you speak more than one language you can find more than enough new recipes, more than you can actually try :O

Reaction score
I don't buy them anymore. I used to get them all the time. But, I found that I didn't use them. So, for me, it was a waste of money.
Since I started using Pinterest, if I like a recipe, I pin it and then have it available whenever on my iPad. I like it a lot better. Takes up less space and they are literally at my finger tip. :)

I use Pinterst too!!! It's such a cool place to find many recipes, I've found so many great recipes over there, recipes I've actually tried! It's so cool to be abe to pick only the recipes you like and that you can definitely try.

Reaction score
I have not bought a book in ages. Whenever I need a recipe I hit the net. There is no limit to the recipes you can find. It's like a universe just waiting to be explored. I get carried away just looking for stuff. I spend more time looking at them, than trying them. I would like to disappear for about a year and just experiment.

Reaction score
I have not bought a book in ages. Whenever I need a recipe I hit the net. There is no limit to the recipes you can find. It's like a universe just waiting to be explored. I get carried away just looking for stuff. I spend more time looking at them, than trying them. I would like to disappear for about a year and just experiment.

Oh, wouldn't that be so awesome to have nothing to do but cook and bake for a year?! :) I would love that too!

Reaction score
I really enjoy buying cookbooks still, especially from specific chefs. Not only do you get a bunch of good recipes, but you also get some good stories to read as well. The chefs will usually put added features in the cookbooks that you just don't get when you pull a recipe online. It could just be that I am old fashioned and still like a good book every now and then.

Reaction score
I'm a Pinterest addict, so in order for me to buy a cookbook,it has to have something unusual or novel about it.

Like Coolio's cookbook is novel because people think of him as a rapper and don't know that he owns a restaurant. Also ,the names of his recipes are funny.

Reaction score
Oh wow, I never knew that Coolio went from rapper to restaurant owner. Maybe that is how he got the money to open for business. I have become a lot more choosy about the cookbooks I buy now because I am trying to have less stuff in my life.

Reaction score
i relay more on recipe books. i never made a bake from a recipe i took online however if i have any questions about a certain recipe or ingredient i plan on using i refer to the internet.

Reaction score
I do but only from chefs I really like. I love having an actual book, but being able to get them for free on the internet (especially Pinterest) is just so easy and convenient!

Reaction score

Aaaah I know what you mean. I use Yummly for recipe ideas (you can type a recipe name, or an ingredient, and filter through tons of things -- number of ingredients, time of preparation/cooking, find only recipe without X ingredient, etc) and I always end up seeing so many things I'd like to try!

Actually, it's also the case with knitting. I used to look for good knitting books and could not find ones I liked... until this year, I seriously learnt knitting and found tons of tutorials and tons of patterns on Ravelry. I did spend hours of times just finding stuff I'd like to make! XD

Reaction score
Yes I still buy recipe books, in fact my husband got me a lot of recipe books for Christmas that I still have to go through. They are sitting every where in the office!

Reaction score
I still buy them as I like to look through them and the photos. I do use the internet, but some recipes are from amateurs and some aren't tried and tested. I like to have something I know that works and that inspires. I am writing my own book, so I want to test all the recipes to make sure they are easy to follow.

Reaction score
I'm definitely torn about this. I love recipe books and sometimes think it's the way to go. There's just something about using a recipe book and actually bookmarking it and flipping the pages that you don't get with digital recipe books or pinterest. And any time I go to a local bookstore and see recipe books on sale, the first thing I want to do is to buy them all!

If and when I move into a house of my own with plenty of shelf space (ideally a bookshelf in the kitchen), I would totally buy recipe books and stuff. But, for now, I will just have to stick to the trusty ol' internet!

Reaction score
It depends on the book really. There are a lot of recipes and tips online, but I still love the feel of a book in my hands. Plus some of them are VERY pretty and look great with my other cookbooks.:)

Reaction score
I also would like to create my own custom recipe books! In a way, it looks easier to make than a food blog -- with a blog, you have to make sure that it stays updated and that it has good SEO and interaction...

Though I do like to find recipes on the internet because of the comments of people who made alterations. It's inspiring, too!

Reaction score
I don't buy cook books. I have been given so many over the years that I didn't need or didn't want that I have given most of them away instead. I have a few basic ones I use primarily for reference, but I don't have any desire to have a huge collection of books collecting dust in a corner.

Reaction score
I also would like to create my own custom recipe books! In a way, it looks easier to make than a food blog -- with a blog, you have to make sure that it stays updated and that it has good SEO and interaction...

Though I do like to find recipes on the internet because of the comments of people who made alterations. It's inspiring, too!
Creating your own cookbooks would be so cool AND possible with these POD companies. =o)

Reaction score
I really examine the book before I purchase it to make sure there are enough good recipes in there to make it worth the investment. Sometimes there are only a couple recipes in a book I care about and it is not worth buying the whole book just for those couple of recipes, In cases like that, I will go to the library and borrow the book so I can get the recipes from it for free.

Ask a Question