Dollar store shopping

Reaction score
What are some things you would not buy at a dollar store? I find that they are a nice and cheap place to find some disposable baking supplies, such as aluminum travel bake dishes, but I would not buy regular cook ware that I plan to reuse for a while. I think their soaps and lotions are kind of shady too. What would you not buy?

Reaction score
I'd not buy anything made of plastic, I just don't trust plastic already, let alone the plastic stuff being sold at those stores. I know most stuff we buy nowadays is coming from china, but the quality varies greatly! Hence I'd think twice buying anything made of plastic coming from china, specially if it'll be touching my food.

Reaction score
In my country we don't have a dollar store. My equivalent would be a "Three dollar store". I am glad that this topic came up, because I was planing on taking a trip there to see what I could find in the way of baking equipment.. I have to tell you I am usually no fan of them but my sister introduced me some ago when the concept was introduced to my country. I will never again buy a broom as the few I have tried were hopeless. Things like soap and lotions; never.

Even when I travel, I don't do much shopping there, but I believe every once in a while you can get something that might actually last. What I noticed is that most of the times things I choose are over the dollar/three dollar price.

Reaction score
A $3 store? Does that mean that everything in the store is $3 as opposed to a dollar? Maybe I misread that part. Many of the things at dollar stores are not at all worth buying. I would purchase maybe some candles, holiday supplies, and some disposable metal bake ware, but that is about it.

Reaction score
A $3 store? Does that mean that everything in the store is $3 as opposed to a dollar? Maybe I misread that part. Many of the things at dollar stores are not at all worth buying. I would purchase maybe some candles, holiday supplies, and some disposable metal bake ware, but that is about it.

In my country a US dollar is equivalent to roughly two of my dollars. The bank rate might be more like $1.98. From an economic perspective, I don't suppose a dollar store in my currency would be sustainable. So you read correctly. We have a few $3 stores which would be compared with your $1 store concept.

Reaction score
The only things that I really buy at Dollar Stores are stuff like cards, bags, and the tissue paper and any wrapping paper for gifts and stuff. I don't tend to buy any food or anything plastic there out of the fear that I'll get sick or ill from it. I will also sometimes look for household items I need like duct tape or something like that.

Reaction score
I love dollar stores. All my baking utensils are cheap and easily replaceable from the spatulas to the pans. Incase I have to leave, pick up or move, I can get rid of them and replace them easily. Also, they have good stock cooking supplies around here in my "Dollar General" "Dollar Tree" and "Family Dollar" dollarstores. Everyone is trying to make their own ends meet. And I like em because things get priced cheaper.

Reaction score
In my country we don't have a dollar store. My equivalent would be a "Three dollar store". I am glad that this topic came up, because I was planing on taking a trip there to see what I could find in the way of baking equipment.. I have to tell you I am usually no fan of them but my sister introduced me some ago when the concept was introduced to my country. I will never again buy a broom as the few I have tried were hopeless. Things like soap and lotions; never.

Even when I travel, I don't do much shopping there, but I believe every once in a while you can get something that might actually last. What I noticed is that most of the times things I choose are over the dollar/three dollar price.

We have something similar here =D There are some stores that have a fixed price, but most of them sell junk! (in my home country). Terrible junk! I will never buy anything over there, specially not make up. The ''cheap'' stores with no fixed prices are always better =D You can find a lot things from well known brands , like Axe! For fraction of the price... just a couple euros! Max $1.50 or less (euros!!!!). It's crazy!!!! Plus you can also find food there from all around the world for a good price!! I don't like buying their pasta or rice tho...

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy food. That scares me. Not sure why, as I've never tried it. I will buy the aluminum baking pans too. The price is soooo much better than the grocery store and the selection is a lot better too.
I've never really found anything else I need there.

Reaction score
I would buy quite a few things at the dollar store called Dollar Tree.
They have brand names such as Lysol, Colgate and Velveeta ,and they have Mrs. Field's baking mixes.

Everything at Dollar Tree literally is a dollar, even the frozen waffles and wine glasses, so I don't bother shopping at other dollar stores where things are $1.69 or $4. I would only avoid the Lander toiletries at all dollar stores because Lander shampoo sucks. It's like colored water.

Reaction score
I like dollar tree and they have a good selection of utensil and basics like flour. I don't mind buying baking tins from there as they are cheap and as I haven't settled down, I don't want to invest in items and take them around with me.

I buy my shampoo there (VO5) and baby wipes as they are the same product everywhere but more expensive. It is hit and miss, but I always feel I have saved money when I have been.

Reaction score
I have never been impressed with the bathroom supplies and so I avoid them at all costs. I am kind of a shampoo snob because I have wild and dry hair if I do not take care of it properly. I used to have really nice straight hair...and then I had kids and my body went haywire!

Reaction score
I buy small toys for my youngest. I've purchased party favors (balloons, Happy Birthday banners), and some hair stuff. I've actually bought cookies and *gasp* I we even liked them. I wouldn't buy a lot of food there. Essentially some of the food is no different than the regular store, it is just a smaller amount. I got adorable Coca-cola glasses for .57 cents. They were 6 ounce glasses. We use them a lot. So, yeah, I go to Dollar Tree a lot. Just not for everything. I'm picky about what I'll buy.

Reaction score
I don't get things like milk from the dollar store. I will buy a few toothpastes, or chips and just decorative holiday stuff but I don't buy anything that I consume and feed to the kids at the dollar store.

Reaction score
Plastic wrap, sandwich bags, storage baskets, greeting cards, socks, dishes.

There are quite a few things I will buy there, but also quite a few things I won't, mainly the food. They do not carry any food that is healthy at all, so I just avoid it. It isn't worth it to my health to eat junk food or over processed food.

Reaction score
Not food. Idk. I just find it "weird". (Strange though because I WILL buy like chips, but those I see being restocked every time I go so maybe that's why). technically it's not a dollar store (those dies out a while ago). It's called All Ways 99...justmeans everything ends with .99 Silly really.

I DO buy kids books there. They are super cute board books that come in sets, so for about 4 dollars I get 4 board books. My king loves them so every time we go, we check if they have any new ones in.

I'll also buy things like shower liners, disposable baking ware, certain art supplies, and certain birthday party supplies.

Ask a Question