Edible glitter

Reaction score
I was at the craft store the other day buying frosting piping supplies for holiday baked treats and found that they now make edible glitter! Have any of you used it before? What is it made out of? A little vial of it costs about $7 full price, but I just got a coupon and was thinking of buying some at 50% off.

Reaction score
I've heard of those but never actually seen it in stores. I almost want to say you can just make it at home too. One recipe I saw says all it takes is sugar and food coloring and then you bake it at a relatively low temperature for a very short amount of time.

I kinda always thought they were just sprinkles or something haha

Reaction score
I've seen this before on pinterest, they made cake pops out of it and it looked like ornaments SO PRETTY and glittery I was thinking of making it this year...but i feel like it would be odd biting into "glitter" lol

Reaction score
It is such a pretty way to decorate cakes and other baked goods. It is highly expensive to buy though and now I am kind of shocked since it is just eggs, sugar, and dye. I am still tempted to buy a couple vials though.

Reaction score
It is such a pretty way to decorate cakes and other baked goods. It is highly expensive to buy though and now I am kind of shocked since it is just eggs, sugar, and dye. I am still tempted to buy a couple vials though.

Cake experts love to use edible glitter, because it makes sculpted cakes look really outstanding.
If you make Christmas scene cakes, it makes them look even better. If you make any kind of cake that would look better with a little "sparkle", then edible glitter is the right thing to do!

Reaction score
I've seen this before on pinterest, they made cake pops out of it and it looked like ornaments SO PRETTY and glittery I was thinking of making it this year...but i feel like it would be odd biting into "glitter" lol

That's basically how I feel about it...I think it looks pretty but I imagine working with it would be rather messy, and I too just can't imagine biting into it! If it was on frosting for decorative purposes I feel like I would be picking it off and not eating it...defeats the purpose of edible glitter then, doesn't it?! ;)

Reaction score
Oooh, I didn't even know this was a thing (at least not in stores for "regular" people ha ha). I like the idea of it though. You could make some really pretty baked goods with it.

I have to agree with @cupcakechef as well. It does sound messy to work with.

Reaction score
That's basically how I feel about it...I think it looks pretty but I imagine working with it would be rather messy, and I too just can't imagine biting into it! If it was on frosting for decorative purposes I feel like I would be picking it off and not eating it...defeats the purpose of edible glitter then, doesn't it?! ;)

Its not messy at all. Plain glitter sprinkles look like clear pieces of plastic, although they are edible.
You sprinkle them with your fingers or out of the jar, like regular sprinkles. They are pretty much weightless, and you have to sprinkle them on something thats still "wet" in order for them to stick. They will melt though, if the frosting is too wet.

They are tasteless and you can't even feel them or even know you are eating them.

For a test trick tip......
sprinkle a little bit of the edible glitter on a plate, just a little bit.
Lick your finger, and press it onto the sprinkles on the plate.
Then lick your finger.
You will see what the "feel" is.

Reaction score
Its not messy at all. Plain glitter sprinkles look like clear pieces of plastic, although they are edible.
You sprinkle them with your fingers or out of the jar, like regular sprinkles. They are pretty much weightless, and you have to sprinkle them on something thats still "wet" in order for them to stick. They will melt though, if the frosting is too wet.

They are tasteless and you can't even feel them or even know you are eating them.

For a test trick tip......
sprinkle a little bit of the edible glitter on a plate, just a little bit.
Lick your finger, and press it onto the sprinkles on the plate.
Then lick your finger.
You will see what the "feel" is.

Good to know! You're a lot more knowledgeable than me with this stuff! Maybe I will have to give it a try, now that I know it's not all that tricky to work with!

Reaction score
I love using edible glitter! It just adds that extra sparkle to cookies and cakes. The other day I baked a cake for my cousin’s birthday party and made some cookies too. She loves Frozen so I made all the treats with a Frozen theme and she loved it. I make snowflake shaped cookies, frosted them, and dipped the top in blue glitter. I also sprinkled the cake with blue glitter and she thought it looked very Frozen like. Edible glitter is mainly just sugar and food coloring so I don’t advise you put them in the oven for long periods of time. If you want to cover something in it, you’d be better off doing it after you’ve baked the goods. My mom works at a craft store so I’m always using her employee discount to get some. For the brands that sell more specialized colors (think teal, silver, pearl) it usually costs more. I think around 10$ per vial.

Reaction score
I think it is a gorgeous invention that makes baked goods pop. I actually watched a cooking show the other night where they made a sugar cookie tree and the cookies were shaped to look like ornaments. Many of the contestants used glitter on the cookies and they looked so beautiful and amazing.

Reaction score
Oooh, I didn't even know this was a thing (at least not in stores for "regular" people ha ha). I like the idea of it though. You could make some really pretty baked goods with it.

I have to agree with @cupcakechef as well. It does sound messy to work with.
I am glad I am not alone. I did not realise it existed and even if I knew I probably won't use it especially if it's going to be messy. The only glitter I knew about until now is the one on some clothing and only today a customer and myself ended probably eating some of that kind as a dress was leaving glitter everywhere.

Reaction score
There are different types of glitter accessories for cakes, cupcakes, and cookies.

Glitter in the jar, that you sprinkle.
Edible glitter paint.
Edible glitter glaze.
Edible glitter spray.
Edible glitter pump spray.
Edible glitter coloring pens/markers.
Rolling glitter (glitter you can roll your cupcakes, cookies, and cake fondant in)

Ask a Question