Favorite Apples

Reaction score
Granny Smith apples are the traditional variety used when baking apple pies and other apple desserts, but there are so many varieties to choose from. Have any of you experimented with baking with different apples? How did your treats turn out?

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the names of the variety of apple but I understand that Granny Smith is the one we call Washington apples. In the olden days, we call it delicious apples. There is a wide variety of apples in the supermarket now but the cheapest and the one we usually buy is the Chinese apple which looks similar to Fuji apples of Japan. Unlike Granny Smith which the texture is crunchy, the Chinese apple has a soft texture which is good for baking. In another thread, I had posted baked apple with raisins. But we still have to try baking apple pie with Chinese apples.

Reaction score
When it comes to baking, I'm all about granny smiths, I find their tartness and texture just holds up the best for pies and stuff like that.

If we're talking strictly for eating, I would say my favorite eating apples are Fuji or Honeycrisp :)

Reaction score
I like to use a mixture of various types of apples when I'm making applesauce and also pies. Some of my favorites are yellow delicious, gala, pink lady, and mcintosh. I tend to eat my apples raw, so those are the ones that have good flavor for me, and I usually use what I have on hand when I decide to bake a pie or make applesauce from scratch. I wouldn't use all soft sweet apples like yellow delicious for pastries or applesauce, but they make delicious apple chips.

Reaction score
I think my personal favorite is gala apples. Those ones are red, with traces of green on it as well. They are sweet enough to satisfy a sweet tooth, but not overly sweet where it hurts my teeth. My kids also love when I use gala apples when I make "apple crumble".

Ask a Question