Food for the thought

Reaction score
I loved this visual comparison :) It was indeed food for the thought, today I am actually going grocery shopping :) This has inspired me to make even better choices =D

8232fb86b758061fc6d01c71ae5bb3bb.jpg

Reaction score
That is an eye opening chart! I went to McDonald's last night to get me and the kids dinner after we had been on the road all day and was shocked at the total when we got to the window. I did not get very much food for the money we spent. It really is cheaper to get healthy food at the grocery store, and you are not filling your body with grease.

Reaction score
I'm glad you shared this with us and yes!! It is much cheaper, I must admit I like to indulge a bit with KFC from time to time, but it's soooo expensive to do so! I think those fast food chains are great for emergencies, but not something that should be done often. I like to eat at home most of the time :) It's much cheaper and healthier :)

Reaction score
Trellum, trust you to provide us with food for thought. This is so timely. I have been trying to eat better but recently I've been working a lot in the mall and my son has been slipping in some Kentucky. This is such a timely reminder to think before you go looking for those undesirable pricey calories. It's going to tough to convince some kids though.

Reaction score
Awesome graphic - it really does put things into perspective! I hear a lot of people saying how money is tight and that fast food is the cheapest option for them, but this really dispels those myths and shows that it's better to buy healthy nutritious food - and that it is actually better for the budget to do that too!

Reaction score
Lol, yeah, I have heard that too o_O At first I thought it was in my country where fast food is way more expensive that preparing something really simple in the kitchen. I feel a bit relief knowing is not only the place where I live, hehehe. I feel much better about my choices now :) I think it's a great motivation for us, isn't it?

Reaction score
Trellum, trust you to provide us with food for thought. This is so timely. I have been trying to eat better but recently I've been working a lot in the mall and my son has been slipping in some Kentucky. This is such a timely reminder to think before you go looking for those undesirable pricey calories. It's going to tough to convince some kids though.

Oh my, KFC is delicious!!!! But it's so damn expensive over here, is it so expensive over there as well? It seems those food chains need to make a really huge profit to stay afloat. I only eat fast food probably once a year. Only eat burgers when on a road trip or somewhere strange, lol. I'd eat more KFC but as I said it's so expensive.

Reaction score
I'll ruin you on the secret of KFC gravy. Everyone thinks it is so good. When we went to filter those machines (the chicken fryers) the crumblies at the bottom (all the spare roasted bits under all the oil all day) is turned into the gravy. After I saw how I had to make it, I never ate it again. (ugh).

I also worked at a McDs - they just recently got really expensive. Awhile ago that meal would have only costed like 14 bucks. But with inflation, minimum going up in certain states -they axed some not-so-well selling products and raised the price on the rest of theirs.

Though the comparison to healthy food (enough for four people) is actually quite a legit comparison. It's very easy to shop smart as well and make that 20+ bucks stretch between five or six (my family sizes).

I'd rather just shop smart. Sometimes, that 20+ bill is justified when splurging, but not all the time.

Reaction score
I don't mind fast food every once in a while, but I can't imagine eating it every day, nor feeding it to children on an ongoing basis, although I know many do. Fast food prices do seem to have increased lately, and groceries as well, but it's definitely cheaper to buy real food and cook it, as well as being the healthier alternative. Another good thing about cooking good food at home is you can teach your children a useful skill, as well as about measurements, food types, and healthy eating.

Reaction score
Yeah, but they're usually not concerned with healthy eating - they just want to make it so they can devour it! Hah. Little vacuum cleaners, these kids.

Reaction score
I'll ruin you on the secret of KFC gravy. Everyone thinks it is so good. When we went to filter those machines (the chicken fryers) the crumblies at the bottom (all the spare roasted bits under all the oil all day) is turned into the gravy. After I saw how I had to make it, I never ate it again. (ugh).

I also worked at a McDs - they just recently got really expensive. Awhile ago that meal would have only costed like 14 bucks. But with inflation, minimum going up in certain states -they axed some not-so-well selling products and raised the price on the rest of theirs.

Though the comparison to healthy food (enough for four people) is actually quite a legit comparison. It's very easy to shop smart as well and make that 20+ bucks stretch between five or six (my family sizes).

I'd rather just shop smart. Sometimes, that 20+ bill is justified when splurging, but not all the time.

Uhm, I kinda suspected they had a dirty secret like that, lol. Glad I have only eaten KFC just a few times in my lifetime, lol o_O I'm surprised my arteries are not clogged. Sadly I think most places re use the oil to prepare our foods, ugh. But what you said about KFC is indeed gross. As for McDs, I thought when I was little they were cheaper too.

Yeah, if you know what you are doing you can easily stretch your money like that :) I plan to do it. We are two fro now, but soon we might be 3 :)

Reaction score
I don't mind fast food every once in a while, but I can't imagine eating it every day, nor feeding it to children on an ongoing basis, although I know many do. Fast food prices do seem to have increased lately, and groceries as well, but it's definitely cheaper to buy real food and cook it, as well as being the healthier alternative. Another good thing about cooking good food at home is you can teach your children a useful skill, as well as about measurements, food types, and healthy eating.

Yes, I can't wait for that to happen :) Teach my little ones how to cook by looking at me and helping me sort the ingredients, I think it's going to be super fun :) I think they have made several documentaries on this topic, people eating junk food daily :( I know people who eat junk food on a daily basis, mostly because is the only food they have access to during work hours. I know people who drink a to sodas and so on.

Reaction score
Actually me and my family prefer to prepare, cook and eat foods at home. We seldom eat outside especially at fast food chains where foods are high in sodium, fats and cholesterol. It is only once in a blue moon that we eat in private and public eating places. That is why there is no issues in making food choices. We just eat healthy affordable foods at home. Thanks for sharing the foods for the thought.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are welcome :) I'm glad to hear your family prefers eat at home! Where I live most families do that, but there are a few who are keeping those fast food restaurant afloat. I recently read something about McDonalds sales getting lower and lower. Serves them right, they used to offer cheaper meals, now they're way too expensive... and so unhealthy. I think this is a step forward for a healthier society :)

Reaction score
Yeah, but they're usually not concerned with healthy eating - they just want to make it so they can devour it! Hah. Little vacuum cleaners, these kids.
Oh my, the gravy bit is a real turn off and I was off the thing for a while and only recently had some for about two weeks intermittently. The other day I had some mash potatoes and gravy and thought 'oh how good..not so bad after all' and then I read your post. Trellum it can be expensive but there is always some special to get people 'biting'.

Reaction score
Heh, I was ruined on it so I ruin other people (or at least warn them to stay away - if they don't care, more power to them. Just like Wendy's Chile, made of expired meat that they didn't serve the previous day all chopped up.)

Every business has their own little dirty secrets =/

Reaction score
Ewwww, I'm glad I don't even eat at Wendy's, but I wonder if they do this kind of disgusting things are every ''Wendy's''? Either way, one more reason to never ever go eat there.

Ask a Question