Microwave Garbanzo Bread Recipe

Reaction score
I have a fairly simple recipe for a bread alternative made with garbanzo bean flour. The only problem is it requires a 450 oven and I can't make much at a time because it is so thin it takes up a lot of space.

I have been thinking of trying it in the microwave to see if that would be a more energy efficient way to make it. Anyone tried something like this in the microwave?

Reaction score
I can't imagine that the texture would be the same in the microwave. If it were me, I'd only try a tiny bit to see how it works out. I'd be afraid of wasting the entire recipe if it turned out badly. On the other hand, you don't know if you'll like it unless you try it.

Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought that dropping the temperature would make a huge amount of difference to be honest. I know that for us, in the past, we had an oven that barely got up up to 170C which is roughly 360-70F I think. It was annoying but it didn't really stop me from cooking what I wanted to, it just took a lot longer and I had not learn what I needed what times and mark it down on the recipe so that we didn't forget.
Chickpea flour or gram flour is pretty amenable.

Reaction score
The "bread" is very flat and dense. It doesn't really rise, so I will probably give one batch a try and see what happens.

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect it to rise to be honest. I know of a flat bread that the French make called La Socca that is made from water, oil and gram flour (which is chickpea/garbanzo flour) and it is delicious when made correctly.

I suspect you are making an unleaven bread, not a yeast bread so it will be much denser.
Can you share the recipe?

Reaction score
I might have to try gram flour, if I can even find it in my area. We don't have quite the selection here that you would find elsewhere. I might actually have to order it online. It sounds good though.

Living in the country has its pros and cons, and shopping falls in the latter category.

Reaction score
Living in the country has its pros and cons, and shopping falls in the latter category.
tell me about it. Most of my produce has to be ordered in or I have an hours drive to the nearest health food shop and I can't guarantee that anything non-standard will be in. They will order it in for me, but it can be several months before I am back that way again with the car!
I have a tendency to order things in bulk so I have a couple of bags of 10kg chapatti flour, I think the gram flour is a 10kg bag as well. My cashew nuts come in 5kg bags and things like my Basra Date Syrup tend to have to come in packets of 6 jars and then be stored somewhere. Even my spices tend to have to be 5 or 6 50g bags of cumin seed or coriander seed or ground cumin etc, so that I can store them in a dark place whilst I use them before I am back that way to get more!
And as for buying in my dates (not the stoned variety) I will have to buy 5-10kg of them and again just store them as I eat my way through them, only placing an order for them as I need them, and then I am also restricted to companies that use courier companies that can actually find my house or follow direction because the number of times I have had deliveries returned to the sender is ridiculous. But the benefits outweigh the disadvantages as far as I can see :D

Ask a Question