How to Make a Giant Cupcake Liner Without a Mold

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if its posible to make the giant cupcake liner with this metal mold, I don't have a giant cupcake mold and I would really like to try and make one for my friend's birthday.
Thanks in advance, i'm new here btw.

Attachments

• 1477199143616-657630078.jpg
    1477199143616-657630078.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 456
Reaction score
You could certainly try it! I think you would need to slice the bottom of it off, otherwise too much weight would be concentrated in too small an area, and it would compress the cake. However by doing that you would also lose height, so it wouldn't look much like a cupcake.

I think your best option would be to make multiple cakes in a small-ish diameter tin, then stack them (with buttercream between each layer) and then sculpt it with a sharp bread knife. A bit like this:

giant-cupcake-1.jpg

They have clearly used a round tin for the top, but you get the idea. Once it is covered in frosting it would look great!

Reaction score
I agree with Becky, especially if you are new at this.

That would be something I would try one day though, as that mold looks awesome!

If you have the money or if you have thrift shops that carry kitchen supplies, you might look for a giant cupcake mold pan.....
18290318540827p

Brand new, these range in price from about $10.00 to $20.00, depending on what store you buy them from.

I don't know if Mexico has these stores, but you might try Ross, TJ Maxx, Big Lots, or other discount stores like that. You can even find these on sites like Ebay.

There are 2 big problems I see you having with this molded pan you have:
1. the middle of the cake is going to be gooey, while the outside of the cake gets over done.
2. the "fans" or outside ridges of the cake that this mold will create will be difficult to put frosting on, unless you plan to do it up in fondant, which will also be a chore.

And as Becky stated, because of the shape of the pan and the amount of batter you will have to use in it, it may not "dome" up when baked, as the center of the cake will stay gooey and unbaked while the outside gets hard and over done.

If you do decided to go ahead with this pan, then you will absolutely need a metal center rod of some type, in order for the cake to bake in the middle properly. And again, because of the size and shape of the pan, I doubt the cake will "dome" up anyway. I would also wash the inside of the pan really well and dry completely before using. Use either the grease and flour method, or put the pan in the freezer as you are making the batter, then spray the inside of the frozen pan with spray non-stick oil and fill with batter, or use waxed paper as a liner (which will be difficult because of the "fans" or ridges in the pan.

I would suggest Beckys method, or try to find a large cupcake mold pan as pictured above.
If you are going to have quite a number of people, you can make two of those molded cupcakes (from the cupcake mold pan pictured), one chocolate and one another flavor, and then decorate in your friends favorite colors.

Here is what those cupcake pan mold cakes might look like:
1025256.jpeg

Jumbo-Lilac-Cupcake.jpg

2105-5038-lrg.jpg

Let us know what you decide on this, and if you need any more suggestions!!!
Take a picture of the final product for us to see!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I thought about it a bit and decided to just get a mold later on and do something else for my friend's birthday.
Thank you both for replying.

Ask a Question