Gluten Free Black Forest Cupcakes with Cherry and Chocolate

Reaction score
I've been on a gluten free diet for about 7 months no for health reasons, so I've been doing a lot of experimental baking! Last week I made some gluten free Black Forest Gateau cupcakes for my birthday party, and they went down a storm! No-one knew they were gluten free :D

Here's the recipe I used for the cake: http://thesethingsilove.com/2010/05/never-fail-chocolate-cakecupcakes/

I think it works so well because of the tapioca flour.

The recipe made 16 cupcakes. Once they had cooled, I cut a hole in the top (keeping the 'plug' of cake but trimming it down a little) and then spooned in about a teaspoon of Morello cherry jam, and put the lid back on. Once they were all done I whipped up some double cream with 2 tbsp. of icing sugar and 1/4 tsp of vanilla bean paste (equivalent to 1tsp of vanilla extract) until it was nice and thick and held its shape, and then piped it onto the top of each cupcake. Finally I topped each one with a Morello cherry which had been soaking in Kirsch and grated some dark chocolate over the top.

I wish I had thought to take a photo! They looked a little like this:

black-forest-cupcake-1.jpg

Reaction score
Wow, those sound and look delicious. I've never piped frosting onto cupcakes, but those look really nice. I love the name of the recipe, since never fail means no waste of time or ingredients. I don't like wasting either, since both are pretty precious around here. That icing looks almost like cappuccino. If I made them, I might be tempted to add in some coffee. I've never used tapioca flour, but since I love tapioca, I will probably do so soon.

Reaction score
The tapioca flour gives it a really good texture - a problem that I often find with gluten free recipes is that they can be quite dry and crumbly. The uncooked batter is very weird though!

Reaction score
I made this recipe again recently! This time I made it into a cake rather than cupcakes. Here's a photo:

20151013_122805.jpg

Om nom nom! :D

Ask a Question