Delicious Gluten-Free Vegan Pumpkin Pie Recipe

Reaction score
I'm in the UK and I have never tried Pumpkin Pie before! So I thought I'd give it a go :)

I'm avoiding gluten for health reasons, so I decided to make this recipe for Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Pie. I've tried a few recipes from Minimalist Baker before and had good results.

I'm undecided on what I thought of it. The filling was delicious, and surprisingly light - the nutmeg flavour was lovely. The pastry, however, was AWFUL. Bob's Red Mill 1:1 GF flour was really expensive, so I used Doves Farm GF plain flour instead - perhaps it would have been better with the BRM stuff... to be honest, anything would have been better!

Here's the pie before going into the oven:
20151028_165615.jpg

And here is the cooked pie:
20151028_175332.jpg

20151029_203236.jpg

I'd be tempted to try this again, but I would definitely use a different pastry recipe.

Reaction score
It certainly looks the part! I always find the pastry/pie crust to be the most difficult part of baking pies - and I would imagine even more so when it comes to gluten free baking and things like getting the consistency and texture right. I guess it's one of those trial and error situations!

Reaction score
The flavour and the texture of the pastry was awful! Honestly, if I'd had my eyes closed and didn't know what I was eating, I think my closest guess would have been cardboard... except cardboard would probably have had more flavour ;)

I definitely need to hunt out a good gluten free pastry recipe. I think the fact that this recipe was also vegan did the pastry no favours either.

Reaction score
Minimalist Baker has a great recipe for making your own Gluten Free Flour which will make your efforts less costly. Buy the ingredients in bulk if you are able - then you only need to buy the exact amount you need!

Reaction score
Definitely looks good - the filling in particular looks tasty. As a fellow Brit I've never had pumpkin pie either - perhaps I should try it....

Ask a Question