Have you ever created your own recipe?

Reaction score
I change up recipes all the time, but I don't think I've ever just straight up made up my own. Now, I want to do it. I like experimenting with baking, so it should be fun. I'll have to do it when I know my kids and grandkids are coming over, so they can help eat the experiments, ha ha.

Have you made up your own baking recipes?

Reaction score
Yes, I created my own recipe for a cold cheese pie :) That was easy tho, I had been making the same baked cheese pie. All I did was cutting the obvious ingredients and adding hydrated gelatin.

Reaction score
I used to make my own potato pie. They were served in puff pastry (or savoury shortcrust pastry if I was out of puff pastry).
The filling was predominantly potato, mashed to make the binding. Various other bits of veg could be added as needed, as was cheese at the time, but not anymore. A touch of nutmeg is nice now with some soya cream. Then made into parcels (pies) and baked in the oven for 15-20 mins until the pastry was cooked and the pie hot all the way through.

Reaction score
Yes, I created my own recipe for a cold cheese pie :) That was easy tho, I had been making the same baked cheese pie. All I did was cutting the obvious ingredients and adding hydrated gelatin.

No Trellum, I am not allowing you to get away with that. You have to create from scratch:). In my own case I have never created but you can bet that anytime I do you folks will be the first to know.

When it comes to adjusting that really my area even though I am VERY cautious with baking. The first and last time I tried the two ingredient recipe I dump in a few extras and even after all that it was still -----poor.

Reaction score
No Trellum, I am not allowing you to get away with that. You have to create from scratch:). In my own case I have never created but you can bet that anytime I do you folks will be the first to know.

When it comes to adjusting that really my area even though I am VERY cautious with baking. The first and last time I tried the two ingredient recipe I dump in a few extras and even after all that it was still -----poor.
LOL I agree. That's "editing". I edit all the time. But create a recipemyself? I've seen too many horrors on certain shows on Food Network to even try. LOLOL

Reaction score

I really think I did create it, I just used cream cheese and other ingredients I knew would work for a no bake pie ;) I used my past experience with baked pies as a guide, I mean, I knew I shouldn't throw in eggs, for example. But I didn't have a recipe to edit in hand. I think we all create recipes this way, remembering previous recipes and remembering what works and what doesn't. I really can't call what I did editing. I mean, I edit actual recipes all the time, so I know the difference ;)

Reaction score
LOL I agree. That's "editing". I edit all the time. But create a recipemyself? I've seen too many horrors on certain shows on Food Network to even try. LOLOL

I really don't think that was editing, I didn't have a recipe to edit to start with. I just remembered the baked pie I used to make, and went from there to simply think of the ingredients that I should be using for a no bake pie. I mean, common sense told me I shouldn't throw in eggs. It was a simple recipe, but in no way I had an actual recipe to guide me, just common sense and the memory of that baked pie, lol... to me that equals to creating. I should know the difference because I edit recipes a lot every single week.

Reaction score
Trellum, the jury is going to deliberate. I suspect we won't be out long before we come back with a verdict.;) I think you have a good case when you stop and think about it. I'm starting to lean towards a "not guilty" verdict. I think you should have entered some pictures into evidence.;)

Reaction score
Hahahah, good one Anne! Yes, but you'd be suprised at the things you can do once you get enough experience doing certain things ;) I'd never be able to create my own cake recipe though, but definitely I can create my own pie and salad recipe :cool::);) I could also create my own soup recipe ;) Just the other day I made a thick zuccini soup (I'm on a diet) and it was very good, I stil prefer peas though ;)

Reaction score
Hahahah, good one Anne! Yes, but you'd be suprised at the things you can do once you get enough experience doing certain things ;) I'd never be able to create my own cake recipe though, but definitely I can create my own pie and salad recipe :cool::);) I could also create my own soup recipe ;) Just the other day I made a thick zuccini soup (I'm on a diet) and it was very good, I stil prefer peas though ;)

So you are on a diet? I should probably join you there. I am just finished baking my last banana bread for a while. This time I used wheat wheat flour. It's a brand I know nothing about that my husband picked up from the supermarket. I moved out of my usual Sunday baking. I really should be at work but that's a long story. It's just out of the oven and I did not even wait for it to cool before I was picking at it. It's tasting a little sweet. Since I used a different can I say I created it from scratch? What's more I did not measure everything. I'm going call this "Ann'e Whole Wheat Banana Bread".;) I also just popped some treats in the oven for the dogs and I just dumped in whatever amount of ingredients I figure gave the batter the right consistency." Anne's peanut Butter Dog Treats!

Reaction score
Yes, I gained a couple kilos last year because I ate too much, lol. That sounds great, I'll start baking once again next year, might start on december this year, bake a cake for my mom. And about your bananana bread if created a new version of the other babana bread you used to make, then I don't see why you can't say you created it :D Some people have created their own banana hot cake versions, there is no monopoly of this or violation of copyrights ;):p

Reaction score
Yes, I gained a couple kilos last year because I ate too much, lol. That sounds great, I'll start baking once again next year, might start on december this year, bake a cake for my mom. And about your bananana bread if created a new version of the other babana bread you used to make, then I don't see why you can't say you created it :D Some people have created their own banana hot cake versions, there is no monopoly of this or violation of copyrights ;):p

Thank you for that. Now I have something to write about in my blog. I think you should have a blog by the way. I've been thinking about it a lot in recent months. It would be quite a laugh for me to have a baking blog when I really just learning to bake don't you think? Or maybe not. It won't be that I am an authority. It would me that I am creating and learning as I go along. Perhaps in a different order.

Reaction score
What kind of blog do you have? I have a personal diary, because, well, the things life brings every day or week are tough enough, so I use it to both to doucument and vent. But I've been thinking of creating a blog :) I actually had one for a while, mostly about random stuff, lol. but a blog dedicated to the kitchen sounds interesting :) Lately I've been getting really interested in light recipes :)

Reaction score
I think that sounds like a good idea, Wintrybella. I'd totally do a bumbling baker blog, with pictures of me covered in flour, my kitchen a wreck, but a big old smile on my face. Then, show how you're learning as you go, post your successes, and of course a special section for disasters. Or, maybe save the disasters for people who sign up for your email list so you have some special content just for them. Haha. Go for it!

Reaction score
Yes, most of what I bake these days is made up on the spot. I just wing it based on what I feel like at the moment and what I want out of it nutritionally.

Reaction score
Yes, most of what I bake these days is made up on the spot. I just wing it based on what I feel like at the moment and what I want out of it nutritionally.

I like it. Do you ever write down your recipes as you go? That's my big problem when I "wing it" with a recipe, I don't bother writing down what I did, how much of something I used, etc. Then, I can never make it turn out the same way twice. I really need to start making more precise measurements and writing them down.

Ask a Question