Have you ever experienced when you are melting your chocolate it got burned?

Reaction score
The first time I tried to melt chocolate for my frosting it got burned and it really makes me upset. I just did what other usually does and that is heating it on top of the stove. That is why after that incident I had never tried doing it again. But lately I want again for a chocolate frosting. So I asked a friend of mine. She advice me to just melt it in a microwave oven like what she is doing. What do you think it is better that I melt the chocolate that way? What are your tips so that this time I will arrive at the right way of melting a chocolate.

Reaction score
Usually when melting chocolate on the stove, you would melt it in a bowl over boiling water and try to keep the water simmering not boiling. It is still possible to burn the chocolate this way, but it is much less likely. I do prefer this method because for me it is easier, but melting it in the microwave is also very simple and easy (though it is easily possible to burn chocolate in the microwave as well).

Reaction score
If you have a double boiler, that is the best way to melt chocolate as it can not get too hot that way. If you don't, you need to do it on low, stirring constantly and do not be tempted to turn up the heat no matter how long it seems to be taking. Chocolate does burn pretty easily if you turn it up too high.

Reaction score
I always melt is using the bain marie method, that one never fails. You just need a big pot, then a smaller one where you can place the chocolate. That is the best way to melt chocolate and hydrate flavorless gelatin.

Reaction score
Yup. The mistake was doing it directly over the stove. I have done in the microwave before but you have to becareful because you can burn it there too. Use a double boiler. If you dont have one, then just take a big pot, fill half way with water, and put a smaller pot inside. Make sure there isnt so much water that when it boils it will splatter inside your little pot. Then melt the chocolate regularly in the small pot.

Reaction score
Usually when melting chocolate on the stove, you would melt it in a bowl over boiling water and try to keep the water simmering not boiling. It is still possible to burn the chocolate this way, but it is much less likely. I do prefer this method because for me it is easier, but melting it in the microwave is also very simple and easy (though it is easily possible to burn chocolate in the microwave as well).

I use this exact same method. You need to have a glass mixing bowl that has a lip on it so that it sits firmly on top of your pot. Keep the heat and low as you can so that your water still gets hot, but that the chocolate does not get too hot and burn. I once tried adding corn syrup to my chocolate to thin it out and ended up with a goop mess.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your advices. I learned from it and surely I will apply it the next time I melt a chocolate. Since I do not have a double boiler that is why I am just melting it on top of the stove. We had a microwave but from all your posts I think a double boiler is the safe way. I think I should invest already for a double boiler and one thing it useful in other ways

Ask a Question