Have you ever made a beer and chocolate cake?

Reaction score
Reaction score
Well, she's using dark stout, which has a sort of chocolate-y undertone anyway, so it would work. This recipe is obviously not going to work if you throw some Budweiser or Miller Lite into the cake batter. This recipe works because she's using dark stout. Not sure why you can't imagine it. Haven't you had dark beer before?

Reaction score
Pattycakes, I know it doesn't sound like the yummiest combo, but it is!
Nigella's recipe is easy and it makes a smallish cake (which is nice when you are unsure!)

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-guinness-cake-3086

Thanks monkeyboots! This recipe sounds lovely, and I think I would start off with that one over the other. It sparked my interest when I saw a video done by a UK supermarket in which a chef was making a beer and chocolate cake - the beer was a pale ale rather than the Guiness (porter) I'm used to in fruit cakes at least. I wasn't sure about that at all, but I am coming round to the the Guinness and chocolate combo.

Thanks again! :)

Reaction score
I have made a lot of good bread recipe's with beer, but the cake idea is new for me! thanks I can't wait to try it. I would imagine it would go good with any 'yeast' cake recipe's. But I'm wondering if you decided to substitute the beer for the yeast if it would be equivalent. My husband and I had a beer tasting party last year (you hide the beers in brown bags and then everyone votes on their favorites, revealing the beers at the end); this idea would have been a great dessert to offer at the end!

Reaction score
I have made a lot of good bread recipe's with beer, but the cake idea is new for me! thanks I can't wait to try it. I would imagine it would go good with any 'yeast' cake recipe's. But I'm wondering if you decided to substitute the beer for the yeast if it would be equivalent. My husband and I had a beer tasting party last year (you hide the beers in brown bags and then everyone votes on their favorites, revealing the beers at the end); this idea would have been a great dessert to offer at the end!

I like the sound of your beer tasting party! Sounds like a lot of fun... ;) A beer and chocolate cake would be a very appropriate dessert for such a gathering - you've given me a good idea there, thank you. :)

Reaction score
I have made a number of cakes with Irish stout and Irish whiskey, and they have turned out divine! The addition of these really deepens the chocolate flavor and makes the cake especially moist, and takes the taste to a whole new level. Here is a recipe for Irish coffee cupcakes:

For The Chocolate Cake
  1. 2 cups all-purpose flour
  2. 1 1/2 cups sugar, C&H brand
  3. 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  4. 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  5. 1/4 teaspoon salt, Morton brand
  6. 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
  7. 1/2 cup buttermilk
  8. 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
  9. 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  10. 2 eggs
For The Frosting (version 1)
  1. 1/2 cup butter (left at room temperature until soft) or shortening (I used shortening)
  2. 3 - 4 tablespoons Jameson Irish whiskey
  3. 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
For The Frosting
  1. 1 cup heavy cream
  2. 3 tablespoons sugar
  3. 1 tablespoon Jameson Irish whiskey
For The Cake
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners inside of muffin pans.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl, beat the coffee, buttermilk, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer on low speed just until combined. At this point, increase the speed to high speed, and blend for another 2 minutes. Add eggs and beat for 2 more minutes.
  4. Pour into each cupcake liner to the halfway mark.
  5. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
  6. Cool the cakes completely on baking racks before icing them.
For The Frosting 1
  1. Make sure that the butter is at room temperature before you begin beating; if using shortening, be sure that it is very cold. In a large mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar and the butter or shortening until sugar is thoroughly mixed in; you may wish to add 1 cup of sugar initially, mix thoroughly, and taste. If the taste is not sweet enough, you may wish to add more, 1/4 cup at a time; do not add more than 1 additional cup total (the total cups recommended for this recipe should be two at the most). At this point, use an electric beater, and beat ingredients until light and fluffy.
  2. At this point, add the Irish whiskey 2 tablespoons at a time, beating thoroughly each time; do not add at an earlier stage.
For The Frosting 2
  1. Make sure that the cream is very cold. Add the cream and sugar to a bowl, and beat on medium speed for about two minutes until the cream has formed stiff peaks (the cream has formed stiff peaks when the beater attachment does not drip cream when dipped into the cream mixture - in other words, the cream hangs on to the beater attachment, and does not drip or fall off). At this point, add the Irish whiskey; beat for an additional minute, or until mixture has reached desired consistency / level of stiffness.

Reaction score
I have never tried nor baked a beer & chocolate cake. To be honest, it doesn't sound to good to try. If I had the chance to try this, I would but I don't see myself making any.

Reaction score
I have made a couple of Guinness stout cake recipes and I like them. I like cakes with alcohol. I'm not sure what it is about them why I enjoy them. I like experimenting with rum cakes too. The Guinness in my opinion doesn't give the cake a distinct flavor but instead enhances the chocolate flavor. I enjoy beer breads too.

Reaction score
I'm definitely going to try this recipe out :) She is using only two tbsp of dark stout, I'm sure I can find it here and see for myself. I'll let you girls know when I try this... I'll be baking very often in the new house (I'll be entertaining visits often, I hope).

Reaction score
I made a chocolate stout as a March feature flavor and it was outstanding! I used a Chocolate Fudge cake mix and Guinness as the only liquid, no water or milk. Rich and flavorful are too small of words to describe it! Mind you, i don't like Guinness, but it balanced with the chocolate perfectly. You only got the headiness of the beer on the end, not the bitterness up front. Didn't flavor the icing at all, it's just green for St. Patrick's Day...

FB_IMG_1492313346030.jpg

Ask a Question