Have you ever tried to make Petit Fours?

Reaction score
If you can make petit fours, I'm impressed. They seem like a royal pain to make yet they look so pretty, I've always wanted to make some. I think I'm going to do some cheating if I attempt it. Like maybe make thin little layers in my cheesecake pan so I can just drop the sides off. It would be so much easier than trying to flip ultra thin layers out of a sheet cake pan, or trying to slice layers, don't you think? I don't know, maybe this is one of those baking things that should bear a the warming: Don't try this at home (at least for me, because I see a mess in my future). :p

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I never even heard of petit fours. I go and look them up and they are delightful to look at.I have to say I don't expect to be trying them anytime soon. I will wait to hear how they turn out with you Zyni cheat or no cheat.

Reaction score
My grandmother used to make those, but she was really gifted. I haven't tried making those yet to be honest, they look like a lot of work and currently I'm on a dietary restriction :p Plus I don't really have a lot of time to invest on baking. Next year I'll try a lot new things tho :)

Reaction score
Hopefully, someone has tried it and can offer us some tips. They just look so lovely. I was thinking that if I can figure out how to make them, I could make perfect little pink delicate cakes for my grandbaby's birthday. They'd also look nice for fancier meals or parties as well.

Reaction score
I have tried making them before and failed miserably at the task. I might try it again in the near future. What I don't like is that the frosting dip is usually real waxy and so I would like to try topping them with fondant next time. My son would like a Mine craft cake for his birthday this year, so I would like to stack a whole bunch of them together to look like the pixels.

Reaction score
I have tried making them before and failed miserably at the task. I might try it again in the near future. What I don't like is that the frosting dip is usually real waxy and so I would like to try topping them with fondant next time. My son would like a Mine craft cake for his birthday this year, so I would like to stack a whole bunch of them together to look like the pixels.

That sounds so cool. I'm sure you will figure something out. Your son will love it.

I think fondant is a good idea, and I think I would prefer that as well.

Reaction score
It is going to take a lot of precise cutting to get all the little cakes to stack right, but I am excited to take on the project. His birthday is in May so I have time to get the supplies together and maybe make a practice block cake.

Reaction score
It is going to take a lot of precise cutting to get all the little cakes to stack right, but I am excited to take on the project. His birthday is in May so I have time to get the supplies together and maybe make a practice block cake.

There ya go. It sounds like you're determined. I was thinking a practice run might be a good idea (for you and me both). Although, then we have to eat the cake. Hahaha. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Reaction score
I am going to encourage the practice run and possibly a secret practice run. I don't know how that would work out but I feel like if you present them before it won't be so cool. Takes away the excitement of it all. We have to brainstorm on this one.

Reaction score
Well, she can secretly make the tiny cakes while her son is not home, put some together for a test run, and then have friends over for coffee to help her get rid of the evidence. lol

Ask a Question