Healthy Baked Apples

Reaction score
Here's a recipe that's easy enough for children, and fairly healthy. I made them last night, and they were delicious. I did add in a small amount of cinnamon sugar, on top of the cinnamon and brown sugar, and used slightly more than 1 tbsp butter, because I wasn't sure it would be enough. I also cut a slice off the bottoms, so they would sit right in the pan.

http://simple-nourished-living.com/2011/08/healthy-baked-apples-recipe/

Reaction score
Nice find :) Did you have them with ice cream or whipped cream? I love having mine with whipped cream and some chocolate on top. Very nice recipe, thanks for sharing and the tips as well :) I might give this recipe a try soon, might have to avoid the ice cream and the whipped cream though.

Reaction score
I love baked apples - they're my go-to sweet when I feel like apple pie, but I don't want that pie-crust heaviness and all those extra calories! Apples and cinnamon to me are a match made in heaven!

Reaction score
I've made baked apples many times by a similar recipe. I had not heard of adding more apple juice though. I may have to try it by these directions net time and see how that goes. I love apples so much and I do try to avoid adding too much sugar, though I am not shy about butter. I only wish I had something more energy efficient like a toaster oven to do things like this in.

Reaction score
Nice find :) Did you have them with ice cream or whipped cream? I love having mine with whipped cream and some chocolate on top. Very nice recipe, thanks for sharing and the tips as well :) I might give this recipe a try soon, might have to avoid the ice cream and the whipped cream though.

@Trellum Haha, they're supposed to be healthy, so no, I haven't added ice cream or whipped cream, and no chocolate, either. I needed something simple, easy, and soothing to the stomach, and these did the trick.

@cupcakechef I agree, apples and cinnamon are a great pair. I also love the nutmeg with them, that's another favorite of mine.

@DancingLady I'd never heard of using the apple juice, either, and I ended up just using water, because I didn't have apple juice here. Maybe you could bake them with something else in the oven and raise the temperature slightly? I don't use the oven much in the Summer, so I didn't mind turning it on for these, and they were well worth it!

Reaction score
I love eating apples that is why I had this sweet tooth for eating apple pie and apple tart. These are really delicious and the fact that it is a healthy kind of pastry.

Reaction score
My granny used to make me baked apples when I was little.

She would core out a whole apple, place it on a piece of aluminum foil, put a pat of butter and a peppermint stick in the middle of the apple, wrap the foil up around the apple so juices dont spill out, and bake it like that.

Although I don't like peppermint, it was good. You can also put butterscotch candy, cinnamon candy or any other kind of hard candy in the middle instead of peppermint. There is no added sugar, only whats in the apple and in the candy pieces.

Mmmm, I bet this would also work with a couple of pieces of caramel!!! I LOVE caramel apples!!!

Reaction score
If it's still considered healthy with butter and brown sugar then count me in. Baked apples are yummy.

I used to make a quickie version of this for my picky eater. I peeled and sliced the apples, tossed them in a bowl with some brown sugar, cinnamon,, and butter, and nuked them for a couple minutes (yeah, I know.. nuking is bad). It was one way to get her to eat some kind of fruit when she was being fussy, and it was quick enough to be able to make a separate side dish for her while preparing a meal for six people.

Caramel in the middle? Don't give me any more ideas! :p

Reaction score
I don't think I'd like the peppermint on it (although I do sometimes like peppermint), but a Werther's original might be yummy in combination with the apple and some cinnamon. I might have to try that when the weather cools off @ChesterV.

@Zyni That sounds quick and easy. I don't mind using the microwave for small tasks like that, but I don't use it for cooking main dishes, the way some do.

This thread has me thinking ahead to Fall, and now I'm craving apple and pumpkin pies.

Reaction score
Why wait for fall? You can have apple pie any time. ;) Pumpkin too, technically, although you'd probably rather wait for fresh pumpkins. I know what you mean though. They just feel like autumn.

My daughter makes a fantastic apple pie with a crumble topping. I would really like a slice of that right now. I think I'll settle for some baked apples instead (now that you got me going, ha ha). :D

Reaction score
Yesterday my husband baked an apple. He halved the apple, took out the center and place raisins in the cavity. But since it is only 1 apple, he did not use the oven. He baked it in the oven toaster. When done, he made me taste it but I didn't like it. He finished the half and the remaining half he gave to our housemaids who said it is delicious.

The story is this. When my husband was young, he used to see a recipe of baked apple at the back of the big box of raisin (Sun-Maid brand). And after 50 years, it's only yesterday that his dream of baking an apple got fulfilled. But he was kind of disappointed because I rejected the baked apple, it did not pass my taste buds.

Reaction score
Well I cannot say that I have really baked apples all that much, but I have to say that I like the sound of that. As long as it is a healthy option, too, and it can get the kids excited about eating fruit, I am always on board. Kids love fruit but a lot of times it is a little boring to them, I know because I have asked, but things like this provide a nice little shake up when it comes to ordinary things like apples, which make a difference. Thanks for sharing.

Ask a Question