Healthy tasty baking

Reaction score
Is there really such a thing? I must eat healthier, no question. The thing is whenever I have tried something from the health shop, it's not nearly as tasty as your regular cake.

I believe there has to be a way to create that perfect blend of taste and healthy baking. Can any of you shed some light on this matter?

Reaction score
Whole grains will make it healthier, but they have a flavor downside, especially whole wheat. Brown rice flour actually has very little whole grain taste, so you might want to experiment with that as a way of getting more whole grain.

Sugar and refined flour is what makes baked goods unhealthy. Butter is fine as long as you don't go way overboard with it. Try switching to whole grains and adding a little extra butter and water to compensate for the dryer flour. If you are making something that contains strong flavors like chocolate or lots of spices it will cover the whole grain taste fairly well.

Reaction score
Whole grains will make it healthier, but they have a flavor downside, especially whole wheat. Brown rice flour actually has very little whole grain taste, so you might want to experiment with that as a way of getting more whole grain.

Sugar and refined flour is what makes baked goods unhealthy. Butter is fine as long as you don't go way overboard with it. Try switching to whole grains and adding a little extra butter and water to compensate for the dryer flour. If you are making something that contains strong flavors like chocolate or lots of spices it will cover the whole grain taste fairly well.

Thank you very much. It's such a challenge sometimes especially when others are involved. I want to do the healthy thing and then I want to give them the yummy stuff they are expecting.

Reaction score
I try not to use too much butter and use some vegetable oil in baking unless it's pastry. Also I cut down on sugar and save that for the topping which usually includes chocolate.

With my pies, I use wholemeal flour whenever I can and also a mixture of butter and a soya spread to reduce the saturated fat content. I adapt to what I have and if it looks too much I stop. I also use soya milk instead of milk, again to reduce the fat content or a mixture of the two.

Reaction score
I would recommend avoiding vegetable oil because of how it is processed and because it turns to trans fat when heated. I use coconut oil a lot if I don't want to use just butter. Coconut oil is very healthy and can withstand the heat without being damaged. It also has a great flavor that I really enjoy. Just a tip for coconut oil, it is solid below about 75 degrees F. I melt it quickly and easily by floating the mixing bowl in hot water with the solid coconut oil in it to warm the oil up enough to melt it. That avoids splatters like will happen if you try to use the microwave.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I just have to put them to use now. I have a holiday coming up shortly so maybe I can try some of these suggestions.

Ask a Question