Hello to all.

Reaction score
I'm getting married in May of next year. The cake I have fallen in love with will cost between $250 and $280. I feel I can bake a cake for much less. I have never used fondant before and I'm not sure where to purchase it. If anyone can give me some tips on how to use fondant and where I can get some, that would be helpful. Thanks alot.
Cheers!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Do you have a photo of the type of cake you want to bake? What is your background in baking?

Reaction score
Thank you! I don't have much of a baking background. I love baking cakes, cupcakes and cookies. Nothing too special.
I did find a couple of videos online about using fondant. I haven't been able to watch them yet due to data. I have found out I can purchase the fondant at Michael's. I'm hoping my fiancé and I can bake it, if not a family or friend.
I have tried to up load the photo but it's telling me something about not allowing an extension. I'll try to send it by itself.
Hope it works.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is the cake.

Attachments

• IMG_20160827_135636.JPG
    IMG_20160827_135636.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Reaction score
That looks lovely! Beautiful choice :) If you have never used fondant before it would be worth having lots of practice - doesn't have to be on cakes, you can practice on anything really (eg, on a bowl?!). Can you get it from your local supermarket or will you have to get it online?

Reaction score
Welcome. I just want to say congrats on your upcoming wedding. I further want to applaud you for wanting to attempt to make your own wedding cake. I agree that it would require a lot of practice if you are a newbie. The last thing you want to happen is a broken cake that breaks your spirit on your big day. I have never don't anything that fancy so any help I would give would be from Google.

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your advice. I am no longer making the fondant cake. Apparently it tastes awful. So I have decided to make a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting.

Attachments

• IMG_20161101_000023.JPG
    IMG_20161101_000023.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 381
Reaction score
Yum good choice! :D

It might be a good idea to make a small version of it in advance - firstly you'll have some practice decorating it, and secondly you can see how it tastes.

Reaction score
We're doing a practise cake in two weeks. I've made a red velvet cake a few times and I've used cream cheese frosting, so I'm hoping this won't be too difficult. I will take pictures of my cake and post them.
I just baked peanutbutter chocolate chip cookies. It seemed like I put too many chocolate chips, but once I tried one, they were perfect.

Reaction score
No such thing as too many chocolate chips! :D

Hope your trial run goes well - I'm looking forward to seeing a photo :)

Ask a Question