Homemade Oreo Cookies

Reaction score
These are better for you and IMO, better tasting than the real Oreos sold in stores. This recipe is clean eating, vegan, and I think spelt flour is gluten free.

Reaction score
On the odd occasion when I do have these cookies I take the filling out. I never thought of making my own Oreo cookies and found this quite interesting. It's something to think about.

Reaction score
I love the idea of healthifying foods that we usually associate with being junk foods. I think it's fabulous to show a different side to Oreos. Definitely curious to give these a try!

Reaction score
That sounds like a fantastic thing to make. I used to love Oreo cookies when I was a kid, so that would really provide that sense of nostalgia that I love that baking can sometimes have on me. I have pretty much given up buying store-bought treats, so this would be a nice way to really merge the two and see how I can stack up against the big guys. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
I have always loved my Oreo cookies and it's amazing to think that I could make them myself at home. The whole gluten free part isn't a major concern for me. Right now, I'm more worried about the taste rather than the health benefits of home made cookies.

Reaction score
OMG, those look amazing. I may hve to try them some time.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why Oreos look so black? (even those homemade ones do!) I would have thought you'd need to use a serious concentration of cocoa to make them that dark, but Oreos never taste like super dark chocolate to me. Anyone know?

Reaction score
OMG, those look amazing. I may hve to try them some time.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why Oreos look so black? (even those homemade ones do!) I would have thought you'd need to use a serious concentration of cocoa to make them that dark, but Oreos never taste like super dark chocolate to me. Anyone know?

I used dutched process cocoa powder to make them that dark. If you use regular cocoa powder, they will be a lighter brown color.

Reaction score
Thank you, writersblock15, I did not know that! Where do you get Dutch processed cocoa? I didn't know there was such a thing. How is it different? Is it a more natural processing procedure?

I'm still drooling over those oreos ...

Reaction score
I don't think they'd 'taste' the same if they were brown. We've all come to know them as black, so I think if you made brown oreos it might affect the taste, even though we'd know it's all in the mind...

Ask a Question