Homemade Peeps?!

Reaction score
I don't know what rock I've been under that I never heard of this. LOL

It's a LOT of sugar for my king and more so for me, BUT for a party or a get together where a lot of kids will be? This looks pretty cool. Basically it's gelatin and sugar and sugar. LOL

The recipe is here: http://www.stylemepretty.com/living/2015/03/29/homemade-peeps/

Has anyone ever made homemade peeps before? Do you have pics?

Reaction score
After seeing that recipe, I'm really glad I don't like Peeps. Don't get me wrong, it's nice of you to share it for those interested, but holy cow, the sugar! I didn't actually think they were good for you, but wow! Corn syrup, granulated sugar, AND powdered sugar???

I've seen some cute decorating ideas using Peeps. I think I'll stick to decorating with them, lol.

Reaction score
RIGHT?!?!?! I mean, I knew the store bought ones were sugar, but seeing the recipe....sooooooo much. LOLOL:D But I know kids love sugar so I'm thinking maybe for a birthday party or something that is done once a year since people like doing candy bars nowadays it seems. Sooooo muuuuuch sugaaaaar. LOLOL I had a friend whose favorite part of any holiday was when peeps or similar products were available. LOL

The good things about making your own peeps instead of buying is that although they are both using loads of sugar, corn syrup, and gelatin...the store bought peeps also contains carnauba wax.:eek: I mean...I haven't really heard of carnauba wax outside of being used for cars. LOLOL :confused: I mean, I know it's not toxic or anything and it comes from a tree...but still. LOL

Reaction score
I think i got diabetes just by reading the recipe, lol. But seriously, wow! Can't imagine how much sugar we can actually find in the sweets made by big companies, this one has quite a bit sugar, but the commercially made ones have much more. Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe. I think this is great if you need some candy to give away during St. Maarten (Netherlands), you know... just to stand out from all the other moms who get their discount candy from the Action or the Lidl.

Reaction score
Haha, Trellum, good one. The scary thing is someone who shouldn't have sugar might sneak a treat from time to time.. I hope they don't try Peeps!

Reaction score
Yeah, too much sugar, that is why I'd only give one to each kid :cool: Hehehehe, but yeah, peeps have way too much sugar! When I think of peeps I think of eating spoons of pure sugar.

Reaction score
Yeah, too much sugar, that is why I'd only give one to each kid :cool: Hehehehe, but yeah, peeps have way too much sugar! When I think of peeps I think of eating spoons of pure sugar.

Peeps (friends) this is one I won't be trying anytime soon. Me and my 'peeps" could not handle that much sugar. They are quite pretty for sure but an unlikely treat for my household to meet. When I think of peeps, I'm thinking of speaking in the language of the young ones around and referring to my "friends".

Reaction score
I've tried some home made peeps before like this and they hurt your teeth so bad and made you sugar rush/crash. They tasted way too sweet as well, like real maple syrup type of sweet. Potent sweet. Still a bit enjoyable on the rich side though.

Reaction score
Peeps (friends) this is one I won't be trying anytime soon. Me and my 'peeps" could not handle that much sugar. They are quite pretty for sure but an unlikely treat for my household to meet. When I think of peeps, I'm thinking of speaking in the language of the young ones around and referring to my "friends".

Haha. Your posts always make me smile, Wintrybella. I always think the same thing. There's even a little craft project floating around online with this theme. It's a sign that says, "Just hangin' with my peeps," and it has a few of these little guys stuck to it.

Such cute ideas people come up with. I think I'd rather glue these guys to something than eat them.

Reaction score
Haha. Your posts always make me smile, Wintrybella. I always think the same thing. There's even a little craft project floating around online with this theme. It's a sign that says, "Just hangin' with my peeps," and it has a few of these little guys stuck to it.

Such cute ideas people come up with. I think I'd rather glue these guys to something than eat them.

Now that is funny:):). My laugh for the night so we are even. I honestly look forward to what next "peep" type treat there is going to be to hit the "baking waves". I just know I won't be able to keep up. I am still struggling to perfect the everyday baking treats, so you can believe me when I say, I am not going to trying to attempt many as delightful as they may look. As for the sugar content, that's another story.

Reaction score

Hahahaha, me too! I actually thought they meant ''peeps'' that way too, lol. But you are right, this thing sure sounds like it has loads of sugar! I'm trying to avoid that kind of things a lot lately :) I just quit sodas 3 weeks ago :O I read that a can of soda equals to several spoons of sugar.

Reaction score
Hahahaha, me too! I actually thought they meant ''peeps'' that way too, lol. But you are right, this thing sure sounds like it has loads of sugar! I'm trying to avoid that kind of things a lot lately :) I just quit sodas 3 weeks ago :O I read that a can of soda equals to several spoons of sugar.

That's a great start, Trellum. Soda does have tons of sugar in it. You'll be surprised how sweet other things taste once you're off soda for a bit. If you do drink one, it will taste really syrupy.

I do have to say the craft projects are pretty cute, so I might consider making some of these to use for that purpose. The recipe is nice, because you can make a bunch of these and make them any style and color you like.

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this actually- saw that april fools gag a few years back, with thinkgeek offering "creepers" and when I was disappointed to find out it was only a gag, found that someone had a DIY version on Pinterest. That is a crazy amount of sugar though but maybe it could be adapted a bit.

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this actually- saw that april fools gag a few years back, with thinkgeek offering "creepers" and when I was disappointed to find out it was only a gag, found that someone had a DIY version on Pinterest. That is a crazy amount of sugar though but maybe it could be adapted a bit.
JessiFox, you are back and in time for the sweets:). I already declared my hands. No sweets for me..the only sweets I am going to be going for are my sweet "peeps" and I am talking about my friends. Welcome back.

Reaction score
JessiFox, you are back and in time for the sweets:). I already declared my hands. No sweets for me..the only sweets I am going to be going for are my sweet "peeps" and I am talking about my friends. Welcome back.

Hehe sweets of course ;). Thanks for the re-welcome, Wintery.

Reaction score
These seem like alot of effort to go though just for peeps. Does anyone ready love peeps ? I idon't think so they are just one of those treats people eat because they are in season. Besdes if you make a batch of peeps you may eat the whole batch.

Reaction score
This is one recipe that i wont ever be digesting; this one is sure too sweet for me. See you on the other side peeps.

Ask a Question