Honey Cornbread Muffins

Reaction score
Although these use honey as an ingredient, I don't consider them sweet the way I do many other baked goods, so I'm putting this thread under savory baking. It recently dawned on me that I've never made cornbread muffins from scratch. It's so cheap and easy to keep a few of the mixes on hand that it simply never occurred to me that I should try making them from scratch.

Sometimes the boxed mixes aren't as moist as I'd like, though, so I went in search for a moist homemade corn muffin recipe, and I found this, I like that it also has honey in it, since I am trying to eat a bit more healthy these days. I haven't made this recipe yet, but will probably do so this weekend. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/honey-cornbread-muffins-recipe.html

Reaction score
I've always added honey to my cornbread. I especially like minced onions, garlic, and honey in my cornbread.

I have found that some cornmeal or cornbread mixes taste bitter or almost like wet cardboard, and adding a bit of honey takes away that funky taste and makes it taste like sweet corn!

You can also use a can of Cream of Corn in the cornbread mix/batter. MMMM, MMMM!!!!!

Reaction score
I've always added honey to my cornbread. I especially like minced onions, garlic, and honey in my cornbread.

I have found that some cornmeal or cornbread mixes taste bitter or almost like wet cardboard, and adding a bit of honey takes away that funky taste and makes it taste like sweet corn!

You can also use a can of Cream of Corn in the cornbread mix/batter. MMMM, MMMM!!!!!

I make corn casseroles, usually two at a time, one sweet, and the other savory. I've never added honey to the sweet one, but I think I'll do that next time. I really enjoyed the flavor of the honey cornbread muffins, although I think I'd cut back a bit on the salt, or use unsalted butter. They did come out nice, other than that. In my savory cornbread casseroles, I add green chilies and sometimes sliced or chopped green and red bell peppers.

Reaction score
I am big cornbread fan, but I am not sure that I have ever had it with honey. It sounds like a perfectly logical combination, but I guess maybe is not too popular around these parts. I would love to be the one that gets it going though, so I will have to experiment a little bit here and see what I get.

Reaction score
Like the others here, I also like corn bread but I prefer the plain and not the sweetened type. You may find it unusual but we prefer either or both butter and cheese as the best combination for the corn bread. During special occasions when we cook our special dish called menudo (pork stewed in tomatoes) corn bread is a better partner than the ordinary loaf bread.

Reaction score
Using just a bit of honey won't make a cornbread sweet. You have to use a lot to get it sweet.
I would say, 1 Tablespoon of honey in a cornbread batter fit for a 9x13 pan would be enough to take some of the bitterness out.

My granny used to make cornbread and sometimes would add a small container of sour cream to the mixture, which was awesome too.

Reaction score
My granny used to make cornbread and sometimes would add a small container of sour cream to the mixture, which was awesome too.

Mmm that sounds like it would be delicious! I love savoury cornbread - my favourite version to make is cornbread muffins with chopped jalapenos, topped with grated cheese. Yum!

Ask a Question