How do you even get cakes to be even?

Reaction score
I've failed times and again to get sponge cake to be even, especially when I baked "layers" of sponge cakes in some long sort of cookie trays. Whatever I do, there are parts of the cake that are shallower and uneven, and it also makes that some corners are rougher rather than mellow and soft.

It's also making it hard to stack up or decorate. How do you guys make sure your cake gets the shape it's supposed to have?

Reaction score
After pouring the batter into the cake pans, beat them gently on the counter so that the batter evens itself out. I wonder if your oven is also a bit un level. You can take one of those construction level tools and place it inside on one of the oven racks to see if that is where your problem is.

Reaction score
Hi Confettine,
I addition to what Tina advised, be sure to rotate your cake at least once while it's baking.
If your cakes are still uneven, just go with it and make it your signature! ;)

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Those are all points I never thought of. I'm not sure why, I never really rotated anything -- fear that opening the oven would make the cake stop the rising action, perhaps? *blinks*

Beating the batter seems like a good idea for actual cake. What about if I'm making a "sheet" of sponge cake to make some layered cake? The batter would not be deep enough to truly beat it.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Those are all points I never thought of. I'm not sure why, I never really rotated anything -- fear that opening the oven would make the cake stop the rising action, perhaps? *blinks*

Beating the batter seems like a good idea for actual cake. What about if I'm making a "sheet" of sponge cake to make some layered cake? The batter would not be deep enough to truly beat it.
I think Tina means to lightly bang the pan on the counter, not beat the batter.
Now go make a cake!

Reaction score
I think Tina means to lightly bang the pan on the counter, not beat the batter.
Now go make a cake!

That's genius! :O *impressed* Thanks!

Well, I was thinking about making a cake for the first of February, since then my SO and I will have been together 2 years and a half. Also, weekends are just, well. Better time for baking! Then I can make sure I've got all ingredients etc. :)

Reaction score
That's genius! :O *impressed* Thanks!

Well, I was thinking about making a cake for the first of February, since then my SO and I will have been together 2 years and a half. Also, weekends are just, well. Better time for baking! Then I can make sure I've got all ingredients etc. :)

Yes, I meant to bang the cake pan on the counter a couple of times after you pour the batter in. The vibrations will make the batter settle into the pan better. An old trick my mom taught me. I have never rotated a cake in the oven before, but I am going to give it a try now...learn something new everyday! I love this forum!

Reaction score
I've also seen videos of cake decorators using a serrated knife or a thin piece of wire to cut off some of the top layer of cake to make it perfectly flat so that they can stack the cake layers and it looks even. Those Cake Boss guys are always trimming their cake layers to make them flat and even.

Reaction score
Yes, I meant to bang the cake pan on the counter a couple of times after you pour the batter in. The vibrations will make the batter settle into the pan better. An old trick my mom taught me. I have never rotated a cake in the oven before, but I am going to give it a try now...learn something new everyday! I love this forum!

That is actually a good tip, I do it all the time and my cakes are always so even and nice. I actually have no issues with my cakes being uneven or anything like that. That is a really nice tip!

Ask a Question